Need a Stainless Recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
wxchef10

Re: Need a Stainless Recommendation

Post by wxchef10 »

I do like the look of the G3 Harukaze and that is a good price. Shame it doesn't come in 210. I find the 240 is a little long for me...I have two of them...a Miyabi Birchwood and a Masakage Koishi.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've tried all the stainless knives in this thread except for the Kobayashi (which I plan to pick up).

The Kurosaki R2 is the best stainless knife I've used in 210. Great profile, thin edge, superb cutter, nice looker.

Ginsan is my favorite stainless steel. Feels much like aogami, though it doesn't get quite as sharp. The Takayuki is the best ginsan knife I've used, but it's pricy. I love the Saji, but it's also a lot of dough. Tanaka hits the sweet spot on performance and price.

Kamo R2 is right up there. A bit meatier than the Kuro and similar in sharpness.

The Kuro Fujin is the best looker of the bunch, even better than the Kamo or Kuro R2. Nice profile, a hair thicker than the R2, but it doesn't cut quite as well. Cuts great, don't get me wrong, but you know it's not aogami. Oddly, the 240 Fujin VG10 is ground thinner and seems a touch sharper.

If Shibata made a regular shaped 210 R2, I'd be all over it. As a pure cutter, Shibata cannot be beat. Thin but not dainty, and a helluva cutter.

Which would I buy? Money no object - Takayuki. Ginsan? Saji for its refined looks or Tanaka for pure performance.

Powdered metal? That Kobayashi I haven't tried yet looks great in the Aaron Gibson vid, but I really like the Kurosaki Fujin V10 for overall looks + performance. Just feels very comfortable in the hand.
Jeffry B
wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

I just bought the Kurosaki Fujin VG10 Gyuto 210mm with the beautiful custom handle (Japanese Elm Burl (S), Tasmanian Blackwood with masur birch and G10 spacer). Thanks for all of the information. Sure appreciated!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent knife, I think you'll like it!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.