Help Greg get a petty.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Help Greg get a petty.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Greg,

Here is our standard questionnaire. Just fill this out and we'll help you get a knife that fits you.

1)Pro or home cook?
2)What kind of knife do you want? (gyuto, santuko, etc)
3) What size knife do you want?
4)How much do you want to spend?
5) Do you prefer stainless or reactive carbon?
6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
7)What are your main knife/knives now?
8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
9)Are you a rocker, chopper or push cutter?
10)Do you know how to sharpen?

I am looking for a 150 mm petty I think.
General purpose small knife.
Home cook.
No knife skills both using or sharpening.
I have a Mac boning knife and a shun Elite gokugo.
Am ordering a three stone set of waterstones.
How much more of a newbie could I be?

Thanks
Greg
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Help Greg get a petty.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ok try this one. I think you would like it since your original interest was in the Konosuke GS. It's about the same price and has a wa handle and is fully stainless: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
easilver

Post by easilver »

Welcome Greg

I started last year like you, but went for a stainless 210 gyuto and a 1k/3k stone. I now have 16 knives in many variations, but am still in a steep learning curve like you.

In hindsight, I think I would have been better starting with a white steel with stainless cladding and HRC under 62. These knives are easy to sharpen and as you improve your sharpening technique, the knife will take a better and better edge.

One intriguing knife that I've been pining for is the Goko: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gosa16.html
Ed in L.A.
craig_uw

Post by craig_uw »

Since Mark mentioned you were interested in the Kono GS line this might be an option provide you can accept a western-style handle

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/koswstpe18.html
GregH

Post by GregH »

Thanks for your prompt replies. Being a newbie now I have questions as to getting a tall petty or a laser. I would assume the laser would be more of a specialty knife and require more skill in which I am sadly lacking.
thanks for your patience
Greg
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Tall petties can be lasers too. The shorter petties are considered to be or called utility style petties. Many shorter petties are used for trimming proteins or duties that don't require much height. Things like prepping veges or what we consider "board work", more height is usually better. You just need to decide what this knife will be used for most and that will help you decide how much height you need.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

In fact, I'd add to Jeff's post that a tall petty is in some ways more likely to feel like a laser, too. Many utility knives (even thin ones) often feel less like lasers to me than their larger brothers...in fact, I'll venture to say that most monosteel German petty knives (esp. stamped ones) feel thinner than Japanese ones in the cut, even if they do not necessarily feel thinner behind the edge. This is because the shorter height really affects what a smith can do in terms of grind and thickness, especially if the knife is handmade or san mai construction.

I don't think you should worry so much about "good" technique. As long as you are not hitting the board hard or twisting the knife into the board or trying to cut inappropriate things, you should be ok. "Good" technique with a laser is more about not doing things that damage the blade...it has little to do with how "fast" one chops or anything like that.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the forum. I have 2 150mm Petty knives and use them almost every day (one is my wife's favorite - so I try to keep that one sharp for her). here a very nice tall petty with almost straight edge (which is a little easier on people learning to sharpen).

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yobl2pe15.html

I hope your experience on this forum is as rewarding as mine has been for the past few years when I came here new to JKnives and it sure helped asking questions on here and learning for the wealth of experience present.

Jack
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

It is not a tall petty, but this is one of my favourite petty's and such good value!! Probably held its edge longer than any of my other knives.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura2.html

Best

Gareth
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Whats your budget? Honestly, id like to recommend a 210, especially an undersized one like a konosuke. I think you will have more fun and as u grow later it could be pettish. Using a petty as your main knife could get old fast imo. A santoku could also work well. I think it would also help u to develop good knife skills. I dint think an undersized 210 would be overwhelming even for a beginner, especially a kono laser.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

Definitely need to know what your budget looks like. Also, what other knives do you own and are you currently happy with them?

I ask this because most users start with a gyuto (as it will likely receive the most attention) and a few stones and then work their way up from there. If you're not satisfied with your mainstay it would be odd to have a sometimer that you struggle to use at times, even if it's the better knife.

If you are happy with your gyuto, what do you like about it? Are you looking for a compliment or a contrast? I don't know is a perfectly acceptable response.

And don't fret too much over your skill level. Concentrate on accuracy, pay attention to your technique, listen to what the knife tells you to do and let it all happen. You'll be up to par quicker than you know.
kjpfo287

Post by kjpfo287 »

Are using your petty for in hand work borad work or both
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

kjpfo287 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:25 pm Are using your petty for in hand work borad work or both
Talk about raising one from the dead.... :?

This thread is almost two years old.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 pm
kjpfo287 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:25 pm Are using your petty for in hand work borad work or both
Talk about raising one from the dead.... :?

This thread is almost two years old.
Well at least I got to see Jsgillis's face, miss that guy.