Cleaver or Takeda (but not both!)

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Altadan

Cleaver or Takeda (but not both!)

Post by Altadan »

Hey hey,

This corona-stay-at-home thing has gotten me busy with home stuff, and now I'm itching for new steel :twisted:

Now, I've been wanting to try a cleaver for a while now, but in all actuality, its a Takeda that I feel I could really use. We eat so many fresh salads that using a shorter (i.e., not tall) gyuto gets tiring with all the wiping off of veg. Whether or not it is tiring enough to spend another ~$300, I don't know, but wife says its ok, so there's that. In any case, I figure a Takeda is kinda cleaverish, no? Of course not, I know!

Now, I've already tried once - thanks to a generous forum-member - the Takeda "240" gyuto. It was a titanic measuring in at 266mm, and very tall (and amazing, needless to say). It was a classic, though, and wiping off the water from that huge blade was a task in and off itself. Please forgive me yacking.

So, what I'm trying to get out of you fine folks is a recommendation, push, shove, encouragement to buy either
a. A cleaver (CCK? Daovua?)
b. A Takeda bunka (in stock)
c. A Takeda Gyuto 210 (out of stock)

Any help, reasoning, pressuring in any direction is happily accepted.
Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jacko9

Re: Cleaver or Takeda (but not both!)

Post by jacko9 »

What about the Takeda Classic 210 Gyuto that is in stock and 58mm tall?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I've got a Takeda 270 gyuto and it definitely feels big (albeit light), especially for tasks like potatoes or cucumbers. The 210 bunka might be what I would go for, having experienced the 270.
gladius

Post by gladius »

CCK small cleaver.

First see if you even like the style. If you haven't used a cleaver, get the CCK and use it for everything everyday for a month (like chefs in Chinese Culinary School). If you decide you really like it then you can upgrade from there.

https://www.thecleaverquarterly.com/sto ... ife-skills
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I like Gladius' advice above. I have both my CCK and 210 Takeda bunka.

The cleaver really is its own unique style. Taller. Flatter.

My 210 bunka I'd say is closer to a cross between a nakiri and gyuto. It's about as tall as my 240 Takeda. Slightly more swept than my Shimo nakiri.

It's a true in between knife. I use it with veggie heavy prep but where I might want to rock a little or use the tip for drawing.

The CCK on the other hand is all about chopping -- at least for me.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm I like Gladius' advice above. I have both my CCK and 210 Takeda bunka.

My 210 bunka I'd say is closer to a cross between a nakiri and gyuto. It's about as tall as my 240 Takeda. Slightly more swept than my Shimo nakiri.

It's a true in between knife. I use it with veggie heavy prep but where I might want to rock a little or use the tip for drawing.

I think that with this - and with Gladius' tip - I may just go for the Takeda, and keep the CCK on a wishlist (so it turns out "yes to both!")
The daily food prep, though only for a modest family table, would really benefit the effortless release of Takeda's s-grind. Having experienced one before, I gotta admit I'm a fan.
The CCK looks like it'll be a real experience. I followed the "one month cleaver challenge" post with interest, and would very much like to give it a go, but...
Then again, there's the price.

In any case, thanks for clearing up the difference in experience.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Altadan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm I like Gladius' advice above. I have both my CCK and 210 Takeda bunka.

I think that with this - and with Gladius' tip - I may just go for the Takeda, and keep the CCK on a wishlist (so it turns out "yes to both!")
The daily food prep, though only for a modest family table, would really benefit the effortless release of Takeda's s-grind. Having experienced one before, I gotta admit I'm a fan.
The CCK looks like it'll be a real experience. I followed the "one month cleaver challenge" post with interest, and would very much like to give it a go, but...

I have a CCK stainless I'm gonna sell if you wanna try it. I'll send it to you and you can try, if you don't like it just send it back
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Chefspence wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:20 pm
Altadan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 pm

I have a CCK stainless I'm gonna sell if you wanna try it. I'll send it to you and you can try, if you don't like it just send it back
I'll PM you
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

Try a Takeda! I just got done using my 210 to prep a bunch of veggies. Love this thing. I find that I reach for it quite a bit no matter the task.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

gladius wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:38 pm CCK small cleaver.

First see if you even like the style. If you haven't used a cleaver, get the CCK and use it for everything everyday for a month (like chefs in Chinese Culinary School). If you decide you really like it then you can upgrade from there.

Wow,
What a read!
Verbose? Sure
Virtuose? Yes. Delightful, enchanting, pulling, lifting, and generally inspiring.
Where can I find and ox to practice on? :D
gladius

Post by gladius »

Altadan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm

Wow,
What a read!
Verbose? Sure
Virtuose? Yes. Delightful, enchanting, pulling, lifting, and generally inspiring.
Where can I find and ox to practice on? :D
---

Bison, Beef, Elk, etc. Free shipping over $250

https://northstarbison.com/collections/ ... -sixteenth
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

Altadan, what did you end up with?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

This is the best option, and frankly this one even beats a lot of the "upgraded" options. Of all the knives I have bought and sold, I still have my cck.