Stainless Recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
TaoofPu

Stainless Recommendation

Post by TaoofPu »

Hi all,

Recently chatting with my eldest sister who's an avid chef and terrible knife owner, she mentioned she wanted new knives and knowing my love of them, she asked for a recommendation. I'm a pretty devoted Shirogami #2 guy and baby my knives - she runs her through the dishwasher *shudder*. Any recommendations on a higher-end, forgiving stainless steel type?

Thanks,
Danny
stevem627

Re: Stainless Recommendation

Post by stevem627 »

That’s going to be tough to find anything here. NOTHING here should be cleaned in a dishwasher and no good knives should be.

I’d recommend looking for commercial institution knives like Mercer or Dexter.
bruin

Post by bruin »

I would second the Dexter recommendation considering all of the above... but most of all I’d suggest finding a delicate way to suggest that as an “avid chef” she should be concerned with taking care of her tools properly. Maybe let her try one of your babied W2 knives, and when she feels the difference explain what it takes to get there.

One other knife to consider if she isn’t going to change and you’re looking for a gift a bit nicer than a Dexter or Mercer would be a Tojiro DP. I got one for my mom about a year and a half ago, told her not to run it through the dishwasher or let it bang around in a utensil drawer like she always has with her other knives, and TBH I’m not sure if she listened but to her perception it’s still sharp and a huge step up from her old knives.

CKTG has a 3 piece set on sale - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html And many other individual options.
TaoofPu

Post by TaoofPu »

Steve and Bruin,

Thank you both. I might send those Tojiros as a gift, which allows me to apply extra guilt and hopefully change her habits. She had Mercers before and the last time I visited, they were about good enough for testing cleavage seams on rocks. Maybe the Tojiros would encourage a bit more care.

Is there a particular type of stainless that would be best? I was wondering about a powdered speed steel, but I'm pretty far out of my depth with stainless.

Thanks again!

Danny
TaoofPu

Post by TaoofPu »

VICTORY! Just got her to concede to wash-by-hand! So a good-quality stainless, easy maintenance, without a high price tag (because I believe her about 60%).
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

My mom agrees with me for a free knife all the time but it doesn't change her habit of knives banging around in the drawer. Go for Tojiro to start with. Your sister doesnt seem to realize the difference between a cut with a sharp knife and one of her dull ones, maybe a demo is in order?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Greetings and welcome.
a higher-end, forgiving stainless steel type?

The Kanehide PS60 Gyuto 195mm is an excellent choice for you.

bruin

Post by bruin »

TaoofPu wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:23 amIs there a particular type of stainless that would be best? I was wondering about a powdered speed steel, but I'm pretty far out of my depth with stainless.

Thanks again!

Danny
The PS60 above is a good choice for her as well. Powdered stainless are great, but I would recommend them for you more than for her as they tend to be more expensive and often ground thinner, thus requiring more deliberate technique and care.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

You didn't mention a price on this or what size knife you think is best. Many forum members might have a different vision of what subjective words like "higher end" might mean. And while I like 180-195 stuff 210's are much more popular.

Tojiro 210 gyuto is at $85 (lower end) and in stock with pages of 5 star reviews
Tojiro 180 gyuto in stock at only $72
Yahiko 210 (exact same knife as Tojiro?) for only $65 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavgwegy21.html
Kanehide PS60 is out of stock at $135 and a decent amount of reviews (its a newer knife).

black micarta handle may be a bit more durable than the wood on the Kanehide.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:57 pm You didn't mention a price on this or what size knife you think is best. Many forum members might have a different vision of what subjective words like "higher end" might mean. And while I like 180-195 stuff 210's are much more popular.

Tojiro 210 gyuto is at $85 (lower end) and in stock with pages of 5 star reviews
Tojiro 180 gyuto in stock at only $72
Yahiko 210 (exact same knife as Tojiro?) for only $65 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavgwegy21.html
Kanehide PS60 is out of stock at $135 and a decent amount of reviews (its a newer knife).

black micarta handle may be a bit more durable than the wood on the Kanehide.
I purchased the yahiko 210 as a gift for friends and was VERY impressed for $65. I see no point in buying a Tojiro branded knife instead. Needs a quick spine and choil easing though (to be fair it was no worse than a Mac Pro).
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

I just took delivery of the "Richmond Artifex II BD1N Gyuto 210mm" today. It looks better than the image on the product page. I think the perspective makes the handle look smaller than actual. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/riariigy21.html

It's currently on sale for $55. Handle feels much better than I expected for it's shape. Very comfortable. Out of the box edge was smooth and sharp -- glides through copy paper and newspaper without a hitch at all. Smooth sailing. Obviously, I only know of the BD1N steel toughness by reputation. Nearly paper thin carrot cuts when I took it out of the USPS shipping box today.

I look forward to putting it through its paces with no sharpening or touch ups for a while. Take a peek. I'm thinking about grabbing a couple as gifts for my 20 year old daughter or other family. I am digging it!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

"... an avid chef and terrible knife owner, "

Lets work here first. An avid chef should KNOW that a sharp knife can change the quality of food that a chef prepares. If you get a knife that goes in a dishwasher and requires no care that the 'chef' cant sharpen well you are doing the chef no favors. Have her join the forum here and we can wise her up so she can become the chef she really wants to be.
---
Ken
TaoofPu

Post by TaoofPu »

Thank you all!
salemj

Post by salemj »

I would actually go against most of the above.

Given how you describe your sister, HARDNESS is a primary consideration. She sounds like someone used to softer steel that can be honed and can take a real beating. She might do better with a Fujiawara FKM than with a Tojiro. I don't think she would notice any difference in performance, and the Fujiwara might actually hold a better edge longer in her kitchen. It will also be much more forgiving a small accidents. Lots of pros use these knives, so don't be fulled by the price (the fact that they are often sold out shows how popular they are among working chefs):

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmse.html

BTW, you can obviously get a similar knife for more. Misono and Masamoto entry-level stainless knives are made of virtually the same steel (AUS8 or 8A), and are at or only slightly above the same hardness (58-9). I'm not sure they are better performers, but may make better gifts as a slightly higher-end option.

I wrote a thread sequence for situations just like this, btw. You might see if they give you some ideas for how to get your sister more involved in the choice.

https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... =2&t=13780
https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... =2&t=13781
https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... =2&t=13782
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

It is ridiculously easy to wash a knife by hand. Heck, I never use soap unless there is oil on the knife and I never use hot water. I just rinse a few seconds under warm water and swipe the blade with a cloth. If you don’t let a knife sit on the counter and you don’t let food dry on it, cleaning takes seconds. Why on earth people stick knives in the dishwasher, forgoing it’s use for hours at a time, I will never understand. Nothing good comes from it.

Íd rec a hap40 Kohetsu. Billed as semi stainless but mine never seems to stain. Holds a sharp edge for a long time and is pretty tough steel. I got mine for my wife, a knife novice, and it´s held up quite well. I use it a lot too.
Jeffry B
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I like Joe's rec of the fujiwara FKM. Those are good no nonsense, performing knives and a little softer steel. The yahikos are probably a great deal; I just haven't tried them.
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:22 am I like Joe's rec of the fujiwara FKM. Those are good no nonsense, performing knives and a little softer steel. The yahikos are probably a great deal; I just haven't tried them.
I have a Fukiwara FKM 210mm gyuto and 270mm sujihiki. No complaints.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I'd go with the Konosuke HD2 it was my first japanese knife and after 6 years I decided to give it to my youngest son today.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd2gy24we.html