Cleaver

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cedarhouse

Cleaver

Post by cedarhouse »

I owned a CCK a while back and never really took to it. Recently, I think just for novelty, I've been considering giving the style a try again. The CCK is the standard but any other favorites?

Since I've been down this road once before and it didn't take, price is an object here.

I've eyeballed the Daovua but I'm hesitant because the edge seems to be fairly curved.

Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger but I'd love some thoughts.
salemj

Re: Cleaver

Post by salemj »

This isn't what you're asking, but I'll just admit to buying my dream cleaver and then selling it without really using it (just dry testing). It became very clear to me that I'd have to completely change my technique to really get into it at all, and it also became clear that cleaning it and drying it would be a real chore as a home cook with a fully reactive cleaver (It is one thing to deal with carbon when your processing lots of ingredients or doing a mise en place all at once; it is another to have to wash and wipe down a giant cleaver for half an onion, then a few minutes later for a clove or two of garlic, then again for a pepper, and so on.). Oddly enough, it also became clear to be that it would be loud if used properly. Like, really loud. And I don't like making lots of noise when I cook because I share walls in my place and I also just don't like the thought of smashing a finely honed edge into the board all the time.

So, I guess based on all of that, I'd say you should definitely go stainless, and perhaps consider going a little smaller rather than a little bigger.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

salemj wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 pm This isn't what you're asking, but I'll just admit to buying my dream cleaver and then selling it without really using it (just dry testing). It became very clear to me that I'd have to completely change my technique to really get into it at all, and it also became clear that cleaning it and drying it would be a real chore as a home cook with a fully reactive cleaver (It is one thing to deal with carbon when your processing lots of ingredients or doing a mise en place all at once; it is another to have to wash and wipe down a giant cleaver for half an onion, then a few minutes later for a clove or two of garlic, then again for a pepper, and so on.). Oddly enough, it also became clear to be that it would be loud if used properly. Like, really loud. And I don't like making lots of noise when I cook because I share walls in my place and I also just don't like the thought of smashing a finely honed edge into the board all the time.

So, I guess based on all of that, I'd say you should definitely go stainless, and perhaps consider going a little smaller rather than a little bigger.
Didn't you get a Fujiyama cleaver? Such a bad a** cleaver. Probably the thinnest or at least one of the thinnest thing I've seen behind the edge.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

I have the Daovua pipeline tall nakiri.
The front half of the blade is definitely a belly.
Still a thin blade, the forward choil and a pinch grip means it feels like a feather. Basic grind, but a good grind. It likes every stone I've used on it, no matter how fine. Coticule seems to give a really nice blend of polish and tooth.
I've been liking the blade a lot. But if you aren't a push cutter, it's not the blade for you. It works as a chopper, but a push cutter with that slight downward slant and bit of rocking really uses more of the blade.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Ryan are you trying to do a small or large cleaver?
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

I've bought and subsequently sold a few cleavers.

The only time I ever think to use it is if I have to slice a ton of onions. Because of this, I bought a razor thin Shibazi stainless. I run for it when I need to do ~20 onions for caramelized...I can run through them like a machine.

Now, with a cleaver, you cant slip your fingers over the tip to manipulate the food. It is hard-hard to get used to. It's quite a commitment to literally change your whole style around.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Ourorboros wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:12 am I've been liking the blade a lot. But if you aren't a push cutter, it's not the blade for you. It works as a chopper, but a push cutter with that slight downward slant and bit of rocking really uses more of the blade.
Thanks, that was my instinct.
Cutuu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:34 am Ryan are you trying to do a small or large cleaver?
Small. I had the CCK small before and in terms of size, it was a good fit.
Nochop! wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:02 am Now, with a cleaver, you cant slip your fingers over the tip to manipulate the food
Took me a minute to grasp your meaning... Your talking about separating slices from the blade so they stay put, ya?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

cedarhouse wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:51 am
Ourorboros wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:12 am I've been liking the blade a lot. But if you aren't a push cutter, it's not the blade for you. It works as a chopper, but a push cutter with that slight downward slant and bit of rocking really uses more of the blade.
Thanks, that was my instinct.
Cutuu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:34 am Ryan are you trying to do a small or large cleaver?
Small. I had the CCK small before and in terms of size, it was a good fit.
Nochop! wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:02 am Now, with a cleaver, you cant slip your fingers over the tip to manipulate the food
Took me a minute to grasp your meaning... Your talking about separating slices from the blade so they stay put, ya?
I love a small cleaver. If I could only have one knife it would be a small cleaver. I have both the cck small carbon and stainless. I prefer the carbon for general use - better food release - the stainless is really sticky. But the stainless is basically a do it all tool. I also have the douava. The steel feels good and the knife can take a beating. For all around cutter I'd prefer the cck, but the duoava has it's strengths too. I had the takayuki inox small one, but I let it go in favor of the others I had. I have a Takeda small classic that I'm probably going to sell. It's one that I got from Mark that was a return that he fixed. It was like half off and I'll sell it for the same. It is a gentle curve, but I'll be honest the profile doesn't bother me. If it was a heavy cleaver the profile would bother me, but since it's light you can use wrist and below the elbow movements, so you can swing it a little bit. I think it's pretty awesome to get the Takeda magic release in a cleaver and it goes through a variety of product really well, even dense ingredients. It's not something I want to sell but I have to make up a few bucks from something I bought, and I just don't have anything over $100 that I'm willing to let go. Later on I might go back and get another one. If interested let me know. I have large cleavers to that I really like.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:00 am
salemj wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 pm This isn't what you're asking, but I'll just admit to buying my dream cleaver and then selling it without really using it (just dry testing). It became very clear to me that I'd have to completely change my technique to really get into it at all, and it also became clear that cleaning it and drying it would be a real chore as a home cook with a fully reactive cleaver (It is one thing to deal with carbon when your processing lots of ingredients or doing a mise en place all at once; it is another to have to wash and wipe down a giant cleaver for half an onion, then a few minutes later for a clove or two of garlic, then again for a pepper, and so on.). Oddly enough, it also became clear to be that it would be loud if used properly. Like, really loud. And I don't like making lots of noise when I cook because I share walls in my place and I also just don't like the thought of smashing a finely honed edge into the board all the time.

Didn't you get a Fujiyama cleaver? Such a bad a** cleaver. Probably the thinnest or at least one of the thinnest thing I've seen behind the edge.
Yep, that's right—nice memory! And yes, it was absolutely sweet and not that expensive (relatively). I made the decision to sell it quickly after receiving it, but it was a very hard decision. It was one of those knives I considered keeping in the closet for 20 years with the thought I might someday use it, because I knew the chance to replace it would be rare and likely much more expensive. But I don't keep knives in closets, so I let it go.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

salemj wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 pm
Cutuu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:00 am

Yep, that's right—nice memory! And yes, it was absolutely sweet and not that expensive (relatively). I made the decision to sell it quickly after receiving it, but it was a very hard decision. It was one of those knives I considered keeping in the closet for 20 years with the thought I might someday use it, because I knew the chance to replace it would be rare and likely much more expensive. But I don't keep knives in closets, so I let it go.
"You only know you love her, when you let her go"... :lol: nah, I actually think from getting to know you over the years that was probably the right choice for you. I think I remember thinking you would resell it. You may want to try a small cck, if you haven't already, very different animal and much more approachable.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm If interested let me know. I have large cleavers to that I really like.
Kind offer but I think that is more knife than I need.