The Steak Knife Conundrum

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ronnie_suburban

Re: The Steak Knife Conundrum

Post by ronnie_suburban »

The varied perspectives from seasoned knife aficionados are really informative and useful. There are several viable paths here to consider. I might be overly hung up on wanting my steak knives to be the quality-equivalents of their kitchen knife counterparts. However, after reading some of the feedback here, I realize that I'm not alone in that wish and that -- at least -- bridging the gap is possible. Thanks, all. I really appreciate the input. Keep it coming, please.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:22 pm The varied perspectives from seasoned knife aficionados are really informative and useful. There are several viable paths here to consider. I might be overly hung up on wanting my steak knives to be the quality-equivalents of their kitchen knife counterparts. However, after reading some of the feedback here, I realize that I'm not alone in that wish and that -- at least -- bridging the gap is possible. Thanks, all. I really appreciate the input. Keep it coming, please.
I like the non-serrated-blade polyoxymethylene-handle Messermeister Avanta's.

Keep in mind that the application of a steak knife is not at all that of a "laser"-gyuto; the former will be used for meat-carving that not only might involve bone-in meats, but is done on a [presumedly] ceramic-material dining-plate. In other words, you'll be doing meat-carving on a carving-board made of stone. (I'm pretty sure that's not how you'd plan on using a "laser"-gyuto!) Thus, the toughness of a softer steel can be a good thing here.
ronnie_suburban

Qapla' wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:33 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:22 pm The varied perspectives from seasoned knife aficionados are really informative and useful. There are several viable paths here to consider. I might be overly hung up on wanting my steak knives to be the quality-equivalents of their kitchen knife counterparts. However, after reading some of the feedback here, I realize that I'm not alone in that wish and that -- at least -- bridging the gap is possible. Thanks, all. I really appreciate the input. Keep it coming, please.
I like the non-serrated-blade polyoxymethylene-handle Messermeister Avanta's.

Keep in mind that the application of a steak knife is not at all that of a "laser"-gyuto; the former will be used for meat-carving that not only might involve bone-in meats, but is done on a [presumedly] ceramic-material dining-plate. In other words, you'll be doing meat-carving on a carving-board made of stone. (I'm pretty sure that's not how you'd plan on using a "laser"-gyuto!) Thus, the toughness of a softer steel can be a good thing here.
Yep, thus the conundrum. :)
=R=
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Thanks for starting this thread, Ronnie. I have some older, cheap Chicago Cutlery wood handled steak knives that I just keep sharpening every couple of weeks when I'm working on other knives, and while they're easy to sharpen and do what they're supposed to, I just hate the junky, soulless feel, especially as I up my cutlery game in every other aspect.

So for me, even if it includes more frequent sharpening, I am looking for that combination of aesthetics, functionality and craftsmanship that I get in my gyutos.

Some good suggestions here. It would be great when I set the table for everyday to have the same pride and satisfaction I feel when I go to cut the onions or carrots.
David
ken123

Post by ken123 »

dinner1.jpg
dinner1.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
final1.jpg
final1.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
---
Ken
ronnie_suburban

ken123 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:10 pm dinner1.jpg
final1.jpg
Is that the Misono Hankotsu (and a bone-in ribeye)?
=R=

Post by 5698k »

F60839B4-DCB1-4D63-9922-5D1871261EE7.jpeg
Lucas Gumbiner
ken123

Post by ken123 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:50 pm
final1.jpg
I believe so. This is an old thread. The knife has since been refinished.

---
Ken
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

5698k wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:55 pm F60839B4-DCB1-4D63-9922-5D1871261EE7.jpeg

Lucas Gumbiner
I didn't know Lucas did steak knives, how do you like them? I just tried out one of his gyuto's for the first time recently and was really impressed.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Much as I love my Japanese knives, I am fine with German for steak knives. More forgiving. I own a few sets of Messermeister Avanta steak knives. They cut well, look very nice, feel good in the hand and don’t break the bank.

I don’t eat steak a ton, so I don’t have to sharpen them often.

We’re i to go Japanese, I’d get some fujiwaras. Sharper than the Messers and easier to sharpen, but it will cost you for a basic set of 8. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmpe12.html
Jeffry B

Post by 5698k »

RonAZ wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:43 pm
5698k wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:55 pm F60839B4-DCB1-4D63-9922-5D1871261EE7.jpeg

Lucas Gumbiner
I didn't know Lucas did steak knives, how do you like them? I just tried out one of his gyuto's for the first time recently and was really impressed.
I love them. I have a gyuto, the steak knives, and a gear bag knife from him, he’s really impressive.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

I just ordered a 180 nakiri from him and I'm looking forward to it.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

ken123 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:05 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:50 pm
final1.jpg
I believe so. This is an old thread. The knife has since been refinished using diamond bars..

---
Ken
jknife

Post by jknife »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:39 pm I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in General but since I hope it will lead to some recommendations, I decided to post it here. Mods, feel free to move it if you see fit.

Having eaten pretty much every meal at home over the past 6+ months, I'm becoming way too familiar with all my kitchen gear. When it comes to steak knives, it seems to me that there's an inherent problem. Steak knives that are soft enough to survive the perils of regular, typical use (e.g. cutting into and around bone and on hard surfaces) require constant and ongoing attention. I have some Henckels, some Misens and a couple of Daovuas. After 2 or 3 meals, they all seem to need some touching up. On the other hand, knives that might be hard enough to hold their edges for longer seem vulnerable to chipping and other damage that would be caused by typical, non-abusive use.

Unless one's willing to change all their dinner plates over to wood planks, it doesn't seem like there's a solution to this. Since I'm philosophically opposed to serrated knives -- which saw and tear meat but do not cut it -- that leaves two options. Either buy softer steak knives and be prepared to sharpen them often or buy harder steak knives and risk damaging them most every time you use them. Or . . . are there steak knives that fall somewhere in between? Knives that are hard enough to maintain an edge for a while through typical use that aren't particularly at risk for damage?
Thank you so much for starting this conversation since I have a birthday approaching and have been wanting to switch from my current serrated knives to straight edge.
I understand that a softer steel would be preferable in this application and I have no issue with sharpening them often (i'm one of those who enjoy sharpening). The problem I have is that I have sharpened friends knives and some of them are just terrible on the stones. I would like to avoid knives with this characteristic but most steak knives don't even mention the type of steel used. Since I would prefer stainless the only knives I can find so far in my price range are the Tojiro DP. I was wondering if the collective genius of the forum would have any suggestions?
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kielcaha15.html#reviews

This knife seems to have excellent reviews from good manufacturer. It is carbon steel so it should resharpen easily.

---
Ken
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

ken123 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 pm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kielcaha15.html#reviews

This knife seems to have excellent reviews from good manufacturer. It is carbon steel so it should resharpen easily.

---
Ken
Just went and took a look at this one.

That would be quite the steak knife!
David
gladius

Post by gladius »

Try a thin petty, they work great. No need to ever sharpen no scratches on dishes. No fuss, no stress.
False Cast

Post by False Cast »

Steak knife of choice at hunting camp is an Opinel n8. Their carbon sharpens so fast (not very hard) that touch up following a ceramic plate is on order of 15 second on a stone.
ronnie_suburban

False Cast wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:29 pm Steak knife of choice at hunting camp is an Opinel n8. Their carbon sharpens so fast (not very hard) that touch up following a ceramic plate is on order of 15 second on a stone.
I do love my Opinels but after some consideration, I decided to take a more customized, two-pronged approach to upgrading my steak knives. I'm working with a couple of makers on two different sets. The first set, made by Lucas Gumbiner, arrived today . . .

Nice, hinged presentation box

Set of 6 Knives & COA

Waiting For Steaks
Damasteel blades, Tasmanian blackwood handles and nickel spacers.

Maker's Mark - LG
Made by Lucas Gumbiner.

Show Side
Beautiful Damasteel.

Handle Close-Up
Tasmanian blackwood and nickel spacers.

I haven't really "used" them yet but I tested one and it's as sharp as light. That's good because even though I'm perfectly capable of maintaining these knives and keeping them sharp, I'll be a wee bit nervous taking them to the stones the first time out.
=R=
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Oh wow Ronnie. Those are spectacular.
David