Santoku recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Kit Craft

Re: Santoku recommendation

Post by Kit Craft »

djb898 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:10 pm
gladius wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 am
Kit Craft wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am My apologies, I did not see a $200 stated budget.
----------
$200 was NOT stated but...
Kanehide TK... my attraction to the Kanehide. Both are within the price range I had in mind.
...implied an initial $100-$110 range, but with the consideration of the Makato at $140.
I didn't really have a budget in mind. I was initially thinking of this as one of those guilty extra purchases (don't really need it but just want it kinda things). So I didn't want to spend a fortune. But on further reflection, I'm moving toward the Takamura R-2 and I think I may do the 210 gyuto instead of the santoku. I want the extra length and it's still short enough to be nimble in a home kitchen. The Takamura seems to get rave reviews. Any contrary opinions? I promised my partner to wait on it for at least 24 hrs., haha.
I think you will like it! I don't recall any bad reviews on the knife but then I didn't search any out either.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

The Takamura R-2 Santoku is a great knife that is laser thin and performs as such. It just depends on what you're looking for in a Santoku. The Makato is on the other end of the Santoku spectrum.

You haven't really stated much about your preferences - that might help us get you the perfect Santoku :-).
djb898

Post by djb898 »

SteveG wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm The Takamura R-2 Santoku is a great knife that is laser thin and performs as such. It just depends on what you're looking for in a Santoku. The Makato is on the other end of the Santoku spectrum.

You haven't really stated much about your preferences - that might help us get you the perfect Santoku :-).
Fair enough Steve. I wasn't entirely sure of what I was looking for to be honest. I wanted a smaller knife than my 240 gyuto, something light and nimble. I also like substantial knuckle clearance (I'm a push/pull cutter). I enjoyed the feel of the Richmond Artifex santoku because it is larger than most (190 mm) but doesn't keep an edge particularly well. And as I've said, I've had chipping problems on it that I have not had on my other knives. So I thought that perhaps a different santoku would be the solution.

The rave reviews of the Takamura R-2 caught my eye after I posted my initial query, and others' recommendations seem to confirm that. And I think now I'm more inclined toward the 210 gyuto than the santoku. I'm thinking that what I get here will become my go-to knife for 90% of what I do--assuming I like the way it handles.

Just out of curiosity, and this may open a BIG can of worms, but can I ask what your favorite santoku (or gyuto) is/are at the moment?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

djb898 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:56 pm
SteveG wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm The Takamura R-2 Santoku is a great knife that is laser thin and performs as such. It just depends on what you're looking for in a Santoku. The Makato is on the other end of the Santoku spectrum.

Fair enough Steve. I wasn't entirely sure of what I was looking for to be honest. I wanted a smaller knife than my 240 gyuto, something light and nimble. I also like substantial knuckle clearance (I'm a push/pull cutter). I enjoyed the feel of the Richmond Artifex santoku because it is larger than most (190 mm) but doesn't keep an edge particularly well. And as I've said, I've had chipping problems on it that I have not had on my other knives. So I thought that perhaps a different santoku would be the solution.

The rave reviews of the Takamura R-2 caught my eye after I posted my initial query, and others' recommendations seem to confirm that. And I think now I'm more inclined toward the 210 gyuto than the santoku. I'm thinking that what I get here will become my go-to knife for 90% of what I do--assuming I like the way it handles.

Just out of curiosity, and this may open a BIG can of worms, but can I ask what your favorite santoku (or gyuto) is/are at the moment?
I have been asking that same question for 6+ months! :lol:
gladius

Post by gladius »

----------
Stay tuned... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stre.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:23 pm
----------
Stay tuned... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stre.html
Yeah, I have been watching! I see the santoku's ugly cousin, the bunka, is up there. :lol:
gladius

Post by gladius »

Yeah that Shibata is top shelf, can't go wrong with that recommendation!
dantee

Post by dantee »

Hope I don't get too much heat for this, but initially after I did my research and asking around I eventually went with my gut and got myself a teruyasu Fujiwara santoku. which has been my workhorse for a year now and I'm still loving it.

Yes the fit n finish is not all that consistent and clinical but I love mine and feel like it was custom built for me :)

It cuts super super well, is pretty tough, crazy edge retention, joy to sharpen, looks cool, and doesn't need much babying.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

OK, now we're getting somewhere :-). I think you just described the Shibata Kotetsu R-2 175mm Bunka in your statements above. It's light, nimble, tall, a great push/pull cutter (and chopping), with loads of usable profile in that 175mm, great edge retention, and a total laser performer. If you want to rock, though, forget the Shibata - she ain't no rocker ;-). I know we're getting higher up the price scale, but I suggest saving your pennies to open up more possibilities.

The Takamura R-2 210 Gyuto isn't particularly tall, but the more slender handle will help with board clearance, though you won't get clearance like the Shibata.

My current favorite Santoku is the Kanehiro Ginsan, which I've been using for a month or so. FYI, I'm trying hard NOT to keep the Makato W#2 Santoku, the neck is a little longer for a more comfy pinch grip, but that combined with the slightly heavier Rosewood handle, brings the balance point back a tad more than I'd like.

A 210 Gyuto which would fit the fill nicely here is the Kurosaki Wa R-2 Shizuku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kurosaki210.html. I've got the 240 and the 210 I tested for video was a total bad-ass laser performer with some backbone and a great aesthetic with good food release.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

@dantee, I got to see and try some nice iterations of T-F W#1 knives back a couple years ago when Mark was carrying them and in retrospect, I should have held onto the 210 Gyuto and/or the Santoku and a 150 Petty that was awesome. Oh well ;-).
dantee

Post by dantee »

@steveG wonderful insights and recommendations as always!
Yeah jsgillis is another big fan of the kanehiros.
If not for the xhp petties of butch, making the decision very tough for me, I would have pulled the trigger on one of those kanehiros long ago already. :)

Yeah it's a pity the TFs are so inconsistent and can totally understand mark's frustration stocking them as an inventory item.
They are seriously different strokes for different folks kind of things, but when you get a good piece that fits you like a glove.... Oh they are so good!
I still sometimes grin to myself when chopping stuff up with my TF. HHAHAA
djb898

Post by djb898 »

SteveG wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 pm

OK, now we're getting somewhere :-). I think you just described the Shibata Kotetsu R-2 175mm Bunka in your statements above. It's light, nimble, tall, a great push/pull cutter (and chopping), with loads of usable profile in that 175mm, great edge retention, and a total laser performer. If you want to rock, though, forget the Shibata - she ain't no rocker ;-). I know we're getting higher up the price scale, but I suggest saving your pennies to open up more possibilities.

The Takamura R-2 210 Gyuto isn't particularly tall, but the more slender handle will help with board clearance, though you won't get clearance like the Shibata.

My current favorite Santoku is the Kanehiro Ginsan, which I've been using for a month or so. FYI, I'm trying hard NOT to keep the Makato W#2 Santoku, the neck is a little longer for a more comfy pinch grip, but that combined with the slightly heavier Rosewood handle, brings the balance point back a tad more than I'd like.

A 210 Gyuto which would fit the fill nicely here is the Kurosaki Wa R-2 Shizuku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kurosaki210.html. I've got the 240 and the 210 I tested for video was a total bad-ass laser performer with some backbone and a great aesthetic with good food release.

Thanks for all this Steve. Very helpful as always. I bit the bullet and ordered the Takamura R-2 210 gyuto (scheduled to arrive today; you guys are amazing!), given the advice others gave late last week and my own sense that I really want more length than what most santokus offer. Still, that Kanehiro Ginsan sure is pretty (I'm really falling for the nashiji finish); not impossible I'll talk myself into that one day. I'll see how the clearance is on the Takamura before I use it, but from what others have said, I expect to fall in love with it, though part of me both wishes I ventured into wa handles and gave AS or Blue #2 a try. Another day perhaps.

A couple of other notes: as per my complaints about AEB-L steel, I do think I was thinning the Richmond Artifex santoku too much. I watched Mark's sharpening videos over the weekend, along with some others, to refresh my technique and I think my sharpening angle has just been too acute. I touched it up a bit over the weekend and it's performing nicely again.
I also took to heart one of the comments on the thread and broke down and got myself a nice end grain cutting board. I've been using decent wooden boards, but my main board has a serious dimple in the middle now and I needed an upgrade. It was good advice.

You guys have the best online service and support I have ever encountered. Just wonderful to be shopping here. Thanks for all the help.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Awesome! Glad to help. Good to hear on the Artifex - hey, at least you're not this guy :-). http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/post ... 092#p25314
djb898

Post by djb898 »

SteveG wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 am Awesome! Glad to help. Good to hear on the Artifex - hey, at least you're not this guy :-). http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/post ... 092#p25314
Wow, that is quite the cut out. I had a similar if not equally extreme disaster with a knife a few years ago. I broke down and bought a Zwilling Kramer 10" chef's knife in 52100 steel after testing out one in a Sur La Table store. Not super impressed with the F&F for a knife in that price range (you could def feel the rivets and tang) and the knife took about a 1/4" slash in it when I tried to cut something I probably should not have (though it was something my Victorinox Forschner had no problem with ever). I was lucky that Culteryandmore was willing to take it back. A few lessons learned in that experience.

Speaking of the Forschner, I have to say I have always liked its blade profile, high in the back with a gentle taper. I have found myself going back to it from time to time even when I have knives in much better steel. Are there high quality Japanese knives with that kind of height? Just curious.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

SteveG wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 am Awesome! Glad to help. Good to hear on the Artifex - hey, at least you're not this guy :-). http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/post ... 092#p25314
My god! I don't know if I would cry or be at a loss for words if that happened to one of my knives.