Takeda AS vs. Kurosaki AS/R2

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Viggetorr

Takeda AS vs. Kurosaki AS/R2

Post by Viggetorr »

Hi,

I'm considering buying a bunka from either Takeda or Kurosaki. Takeda makes his in Aogami Super, while Kurosaki has in both AS and R2. As I've understood from the reviews at CKTG Takeda knives are held in extremely high esteem. What I'm wondering is if Kurosakis AS or R2 knives are at a comparable level, or if I'd be "downgrading" if I went with Kurosaki instead. The price difference isn't really an issue.

The knifes:
Kurosaki R2: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kur2wabu16.html
Kurosaki AS: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kuaskubu18.html
Takeda: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tababu.html

What are your experience? What would you choose?
J david

Re: Takeda AS vs. Kurosaki AS/R2

Post by J david »

I don't use bunkas so I can't help you there. I can tell you that Takedas have a unique grind that people either love or hate. I had a gyuto from him and loved the grind but hated the profile.

It would probably be helpful to fill out the "which knife should I buy?" form so we can better recommend what knife would fit your needs best.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I have the 170 NAS bunka, and I love it, especially after thinning and taking the shoulders down a bit. My only issue is that I wish that I would have gotten the 210 instead. The 170 is still sufficient, but I can see the advantage of having the extra 40mm. I don't have any experience with the Kurosaki bunkas so I can't help you there.
--- Steve
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

Full transparency, I'm no bunka guy, but here's my two cents.

Downgrading is such a largely subjective term. Personally, if I had to pick one and only one I'd go with the Kurosaki AS KU. She's the most reliable of the bunch.

Since you own a Takeda and probably have high expectations I'd go with the r2 Kurosaki. It won't polish like a Takeda unless you have proper compounds, but the gyuto I sampled was a lightsaber through and through with a 3k edge. I nicknamed my buddies 210 "Obi-Wan" and he has had zero objection to said (and readily adopted) nomenclature since.

How much do you love your Takeda though? Would it be worth it to you to try something out of your wheelhouse?

There's somewhere between a smattering and a metric ton of "what if" in the mix due to the fact that you're ready steady with your Takeda. Talk about a...monkey... wrench... throwing...? How the hell does that phrase go?
Viggetorr

Post by Viggetorr »

Jsgillis86 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 pm Downgrading is such a largely subjective term. Personally, if I had to pick one and only one I'd go with the Kurosaki AS KU. She's the most reliable of the bunch.

Since you own a Takeda and probably have high expectations I'd go with the r2 Kurosaki. It won't polish like a Takeda unless you have proper compounds, but the gyuto I sampled was a lightsaber through and through with a 3k edge. I nicknamed my buddies 210 "Obi-Wan" and he has had zero objection to said (and readily adopted) nomenclature since.

How much do you love your Takeda though? Would it be worth it to you to try something out of your wheelhouse?
"Downgrading" was indeed the wrong word; I do not own a Takeda and never have, so I'm a blank slate! Bad choice of words on my part.

Given this, would you prefer the Kurosaki AS or R2. Disclaimer: I will also buy a Shibata Kotetsu (R2) 130mm bunka for fine work.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I used a 210 Takeda bunka and owned a Kuro 180 nakiri. Takedas are unique and have great food separation but are apparently not for me. The Kuro is a great performer and is lessy fussy to sharpen. That said, Kanehiro and Masakage Koishi are also superb AS renditions.
Last edited by jbart65 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffry B
gladius

Post by gladius »

The Takeda and Kurosaki are both very good performers but the Takeda is just a bit better. Sharpening is straight forward in that you simply follow the wide bevel so you thin and sharpen simultaneously.

I owned both the Takeda 210mm & 170mm at the same time but ended up keeping the preferred smaller 170mm. Adding the 130mm may not be necessary.
Viggetorr

Post by Viggetorr »

gladius wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 am I owned both the Takeda 210mm & 170mm at the same time but ended up keeping the preferred smaller 170mm. Adding the 130mm may not be necessary.
I see! If going for one bunka only, would you prefer a 170 Takeda or a 175 Shibata?
easilver

Post by easilver »

I have the Takeda NAS 210 Bunka and it is a beautiful knife and very unique. I'm not a fan of zero grinds nor kurouchi, but still like this knife a lot. At 64mm tall, it is a very different experience than a common bunka like the Kurosaki.
Ed in L.A.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Viggetorr wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:25 pmI see! If going for one bunka only, would you prefer a 170 Takeda or a 175 Shibata?
-------------
Between the two the Takeda edges the Shibata just by a touch in performance but the Shibata is easy to use and carefree since it is stainless. It is also easy to sharpen but feels different on the stones and on the board since it is stainless compared to Takeda AS carbon. I don't use either Bunka often as I prefer Nakiri - I actually might sell them soon.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

:lol: that video is awesome. Maybe I'm a jerk but I always enjoy listening to Japanese English. My apologies if that offends. I also enjoyed watching Takeda do it. What a cool guy!
Viggetorr

Post by Viggetorr »

gladius wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 pm Between the two the Takeda edges the Shibata just by a touch in performance but the Shibata is easy to use and carefree since it is stainless. It is also easy to sharpen but feels different on the stones and on the board since it is stainless compared to Takeda AS carbon. I don't use either Bunka often as I prefer Nakiri - I actually might sell them soon.
Do you have the 170mm Takeda? Is it suitable for proteins as well (like boneless chicken breasts) or strictly for vegetables? How about garlic/shallots, too big?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Viggetorr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm
gladius wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 pm Between the two the Takeda edges the Shibata just by a touch in performance but the Shibata is easy to use and carefree since it is stainless. It is also easy to sharpen but feels different on the stones and on the board since it is stainless compared to Takeda AS carbon. I don't use either Bunka often as I prefer Nakiri - I actually might sell them soon.
Do you have the 170mm Takeda? Is it suitable for proteins as well (like boneless chicken breasts) or strictly for vegetables? How about garlic/shallots, too big?
------------
I do...suitable for everything listed.
Viggetorr

Post by Viggetorr »

gladius wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm I do...suitable for everything listed.
Fantastic, then I think I've finally come to a decision! :)

Thanks for all the hep!