Honesuki

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
KurtS

Re: Honesuki

Post by KurtS »

Lepus wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 am Aogami super is going to be more chip prone. That's a more comfortable trade off on a gyuto than can be used for specific tasks than on a boning knife. Of the Hitachi steels I would favor slightly softer blue #2 or the like for animal breakdown.

As for performance, the grinds on the Kanehide Bessakus are not thin, but that isn't as big a deal when breaking down chickens and sub primal as it is when cutting onions. I haven't had a lot of time with honesukis but I don't know what would give better performance than the Kanehide.
For a softer blue #2 steel clad with stainless, this looks sweet. Kohetsu Shinano Blue #2 Honesuki 150mm. Will I need to seal the handle with epoxy?
KurtS

Post by KurtS »

I wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. I just ordered the Kanehide Bessukus Honesuki 150. I really wanted a carbon steel blade, but I also know that I would have to hide it from my wife.

For the savings versus a Konetsu Shinano which would put me into a stainless clad blue #2 blade, I picked up a SG 500 double thick stone and a Saya. Buying the less expensive honesuki allows me to spend a little more money on a quality Gyoto or Bunka.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I started a thread on honesukis some months ago and was about to add a link until I see you made a purchase.

Great choice,. I bought a Bessuku last year and use it weekly. Single bevels cut differently I was quite surprised to discover. One thing to read about it, another to experience.

The knife gets quite sharp and stays sharp. Doesn't chip easily and works much better with chicken than a petty. I also use it to cube meat, cut out gobs of fat, remove silver skin and so forth. So far I have had no issue with patina or rusting even though it's only supposed to be semi stainless. The handle is quite fine. Nice grip when wet and cleans easily. I may treat with tung oil or gunstock oil eventually.

Really, your wife can use it, too.

I find it odd you got a honesuki before a gyuto. Gosh, German knives simply can't compare. The Wusthof Ikon is a terrific knife, mind you, and even better is the Messermeister Stealth Elite. But I sold my Ikon and my Stealth Elite is only used for specialized tasks (mincing herbs, hard squash, etc).

You'll be in for a treat when you get a gyuto.
Jeffry B
KurtS

Post by KurtS »

I was looking for a Honesuki thread but stopped after a couple pages in the search. I would still love to read it.

Why the Honesuki? I wanted a Japanese style boning knife. I own a Shun Kaji 8" Chef's, a Henckel 10" chef's, a Shun 7" Santuko and a Shun 6" Ken Onion Chef's. All are kept sharp. Very different knives but never felt that I needed a gyoto. The Shun kaji and Ken Onion have comfortable humped handles. Food tends to stick to the Kaji more than I like and I don't consider it nimble. The edge is brittle and my wife did a number on it.

The gyoto will be next. Actually, the next knife may be for my wife. She likes the 7" Santuko for lightness and size. A lightweight 200mm ish Bunka or gyoto with a low stick, chip-resistant and easy to maintain blade would be the ticket. Japanese handle of course. I will be looking for suggestions.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

A lightweight 200mm ish Bunka or gyoto with a low stick, chip-resistant and easy to maintain blade would be the ticket. Japanese handle of course. I will be looking for suggestions.
Not to get off track, but aside from the length you just described the Kohetsu SLD Bunka. I bought on and it is awesome on food release, offers very good performance, though you'll get a bit of wedging on harder stuff (that's the trade off for great food release) and has a solid feel. The steel is easy to sharpen and seems rather tough, though not German steel tough, by any means.
KurtS

Post by KurtS »

Steve,
I saw a recommendation for the Kohetsu SLD Bunka in one of the threads. I was thinking that a 170mm Bunka might be a better style of knife for her. The Kohetsu SLD is currently on backorder but I requested notification when it comes in. Nice looking knife by the way. What do you use to seal the handle per your comment in the video?

She took chunks out of "my" Shun Kaji Fusion chef's knife when cutting up a whole chicken a couple years back, so something a little tougher than VG10 will be appreciated. This also explains my desire for a Honesuki.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Personally, I use Watco Danish Oil and put on a few light coats. There's a good topic going now on Birchwood Casey TruOil, which is another good option: viewtopic.php?p=17804#p17804.

Some people use mineral oil or mineral oil/beeswax combo.

At the tang I usually seal with some JB ClearWeld, which is a clear two-part epoxy.

On the "chunks", as you probably already know, these knives are meant to go through joints and around bones, but not through bones, even smaller ones. I reserve my Henckels Chef knife for cutting chickens in half, cutting out backbones, etc.
KurtS

Post by KurtS »

SteveG wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 pm I reserve my Henckels Chef knife for cutting chickens in half, cutting out backbones, etc.
Precisely why my Henckel chef's knife is still in rotation. It's a beast. After the edge chipping incident with the Shun, I started using a poultry scissor to remove the backbone.

I was thinking epoxy for the tang, so the reco for JB Weld clear is perfect. I'll leave the engine ready epoxy out of the mix. :lol:

Thanks!
KurtS

Post by KurtS »

SteveG wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 pm Great points -btm-.

I have the Kanehide Hankotsu and the steel is just a treat to sharpen. Between the FKM/DP, I think the FKM is a little easier to sharpen. Your Shapton 1K will work well on any of these knives. A Shapton Glass 320 or 500 would make a great addition to your lineup, just sayin' ;-).
Going to the store to buy a chicken and finally use the new Kanehide Honesuki.

Used the SG500 today for the first time on my 10" Henckel Pro S Chef, Henckel 8" slicing knife and the Shun 6" ken Onion Chef's. Much easier to get a burr than with just the 1000 stone (or resorting to sandpaper). The Shun Santuko only needed touch up with the 1000 and 4000 stones. Thank you to all for the push.
eitan78

Post by eitan78 »

the Misono 440 is a good value for money, i can't recommend anything else because that's the only one I tried so far, it's a 150mm, cost around 140-150$
it's very easy to sharpen and keeps a good edge.
DESPITE ALL OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
WE OWE OUR EXISTENCE TO
A SIX-INCH LAYER OF TOPSOIL
AND THE FACT IT RAINS
KurtS

Post by KurtS »

Used the Kanehide Bessuku Honesuki last night for the first time. Knife was sharp out of the box so I simply washed and used it. Single edge is different in use than my other knives but does run along bone quite easily. I will have to use it more to gain confidence, but it seems to be a more than adequate knife for chicken processing.

I think that I will use some mineral oil/beeswax cutting board oil on the handle. Does anyone bother to stain their Sayas? I have leftover stain and urethane in the garage from another project and thought that I might put a nice finish on the Saya.