Kohetsu Santoku Hap40

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
snipes

Kohetsu Santoku Hap40

Post by snipes »

I'm leaning towards picking up this knife for the mrs. I'd appreciate hearing any first hand experience with it or with HAP40 in general especially related to reactivity. She is pretty good about taking care of "her" knife, but it's fully stainless and whatever I get for her will be washed and air dried on the counter top before put away or if I see it and dry it.
How would this steel hold up to that type of use?

The Takamura R2 would be my second choice, but I know that knife well and what to expect. I'd like the opportunity to check out HAP40.
gladius

Re: Kohetsu Santoku Hap40

Post by gladius »

I love mine. I treat it like stainless (I still take care of it) and have had no issues with rust. It will patina slightly though and the cladding is somewhat soft. It is a larger wa santoku at 180mm but is very light and not too bad to sharpen and it will take a very keen edge. I like Kohetsu HAP40 steel more than Takamura R2, I suspect you may too. I also have the 240 but use the santoku more.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Ive got the Kohetsu HAP40 240 gyuto and i love it! As far as the reactivity... What reactivity??!! Lol now i do own carbon steel knives so maybe i was expecting more but this steel hardly reacts at all.... I was at work for 3 days and didn't get any patina at all.... I even cut lemons and let it sit for like 20 min.... NOTHING! I actually emailed mark because I thought i had a defective knife lol I literally had to soak a paper towel in apple cider vinegar and wrap the edge in it and leave it for an hour! Then i got a super even dark grey almost black patina. No worries on the wife leaving it dirty... As long as you get to it within 24 hours you should be fine lol
I love the steel man. Highly recommended from a pro
snipes

Post by snipes »

Thanks for the info guys. I'd say it's settled.