Ikeda vs shibata

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Inhuman

Re: Ikeda vs shibata

Post by Inhuman »

All-

I wanted to follow up and let y'all know I pulled the trigger on the Ikeda for a couple reasons:
-craving aogami super for next knife
-take the plunge and try full reactive
-love the look over shibata
-in stock (lol)
-MOST importantly when I emailed mark on the height he had one at 51mm! What ya think about that jsgillis! You've said multiple times that you wish one of the new "ks" profiles had 50mm+ height !
This height factor , the steel, the look, and the profile , something just spoke to me about this knife .

Thank you all for your excellent advice as usual

-b
salemj

Post by salemj »

Enjoy! Sounds like you got what you were looking for on most accounts. At 51mm, that is a beast of a knife that will plow through anything! I wanted one that was a little closer to the original KS...I think mine was about 48-9 at the heel when purchased (I have since leveled the spine which took off a bit of height). I think you'll be really happy with this knife—I'm convinced it is terrific performer that isn't talked about much because it is a little less appealing to home cooks (looks, size, and "clone" language) and pros (fully reactive) than some other options, but I am convinced that it has it where it counts and that it will excel in a professional environment.

I hope to write me own review soon, especially now that most of my "adjustments" to the blade are mostly finished. However, I do believe that a chipped the edge somehow during all of the work I was doing, which really upset me—up to that point, I think the only microchips I had seen of any note at all were out of the box...and I have been particularly rough on this steel while mincing lots of herbs (including woodier mint). Despite feeling harder than it is rated on the site, it really surprises me with its durability. I think this is because the grind is so elegant: very thin in terms of a grind, but still a little thicker just behind the edge than some other lasers. It allows it to take a very solid microbevel without the added thickness that, say, a T-F holds right behind the edge that requires a fatter angle.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
desol

Post by desol »

To be honest, I'm kinda jealous that you got that knife at a good height. AS steel, KS profile, good weight...I think you'll like it.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I hope you like it, but that is way too tall for a French profile gyuto for me. If you're interested in a few weeks I'll send you my Kashima to try side by side.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

desol wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm To be honest, I'm kinda jealous that you got that knife at a good height. AS steel, KS profile, good weight...I think you'll like it.
Wow thank you! That's high praise coming from you desol.

@salem, thanks! I think at that height 50-51 she will be the heft and still a dagger like tip profile I wanted . Thanks again for all your help , you have a lot of ikeda posts out there and I read a lot of them !

@lepus , I think it boils down to preference . I haven't tried a ks so I can't compare it to a ks , and maybe that drives my hunger for a little taller . In the QL vid Steve showed one at like 45mm and I didn't think it looked substantial enough . At 50 I think it's a big flat knife overall with a more daggerlike profile .
I would love to try the kashima side by side. Very generous offer indeed thank you sir .
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Yeah, I would not consider mine as substantial. LOL, it's almost approaching a Suji shape - not quite, but you know what I mean :-). It would be cool to try a taller one.
desol

Post by desol »

Inhuman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm
desol wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm To be honest, I'm kinda jealous that you got that knife at a good height. AS steel, KS profile, good weight...I think you'll like it.
Wow thank you! That's high praise coming from you desol.

@salem, thanks! I think at that height 50-51 she will be the heft and still a dagger like tip profile I wanted . Thanks again for all your help , you have a lot of ikeda posts out there and I read a lot of them !

@lepus , I think it boils down to preference . I haven't tried a ks so I can't compare it to a ks , and maybe that drives my hunger for a little taller . In the QL vid Steve showed one at like 45mm and I didn't think it looked substantial enough . At 50 I think it's a big flat knife overall with a more daggerlike profile .
I would love to try the kashima side by side. Very generous offer indeed thank you sir .
That's a nice knife...don't let it out of your sight! I've heard stories of things growing legs and walking off at work...and it may be difficult to get another one like it. 8-) I heard you mention that you were a bit hesitant on the reactivity. Here's the lowdown from Jon at JKI. He spent a bunch of time in Japan, around a bunch of chefs. Hope this helps to get it figured. Wiping the knife as you cut, and cleaning every day or two will keep it and your food in nice, clean shape.

Last edited by desol on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Steve, I'd be happy to send you mine when it is convenient for me. Actually, if I sent it in a couple of weeks, you could ship it back to an address in the US, and that would save on the whole deal. I'd also be interested on your opinions regarding the work I've done on it. I know mine isn't much taller, but YOU know that there is a big difference between <46 and >48 when it comes to a knife like this! As it is, I think it is like $30 or so to ship from Canada but probably under 10 to ship it to SF for me to pick up. Let me know if you want to try to split it or something. I owe you one, anyway. Heck, we could even try two for the price of one if there is something else I have that you'd like to play with, although it is hard to imagine what that might be...
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

A 51mm Ikeda?? :shock:

If I'd have known that before you, you wouldn't own that knife.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Joe, thanks for your very kind offer, but I'll see if Mark can send me one for a new video, hopefully around 49-50mm if he has it. Mine is such an outlier that it's not representative of the knives that customers will receive.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Jsgillis86 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:01 am A 51mm Ikeda?? :shock:

If I'd have known that before you, you wouldn't own that knife.
There's actually another one at that height still in stock ...get in it !
SteveG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 am Joe, thanks for your very kind offer, but I'll see if Mark can send me one for a new video, hopefully around 49-50mm if he has it. Mine is such an outlier that it's not representative of the knives that customers will receive.

You should Steve . Or get a couple pics of the taller one up. My choice would've been A lot easier had I known this before I started comparing