Is there a difference between the Kurosaki R-2 Hammered and Kurosaki Shizuku R2?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
lagrange

Is there a difference between the Kurosaki R-2 Hammered and Kurosaki Shizuku R2?

Post by lagrange »

Thinking about trying out a Kurosaki and was wondering what the difference between these 2 lines are?
Chefspence

Re: Is there a difference between the Kurosaki R-2 Hammered and Kurosaki Shizuku R2?

Post by Chefspence »

lagrange wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 pm Thinking about trying out a Kurosaki and was wondering what the difference between these 2 lines are?
I would ask SteveG if I were you.
SteveG

Re: Is there a difference between the Kurosaki R-2 Hammered and Kurosaki Shizuku R2?

Post by SteveG »

Are you talking about the Wa handled R-2 Hammered knives vs. Wa handled R-2 Shizuku?
lagrange

Post by lagrange »

Yup, those are the two Gyutos. I was wondering if there are differences in food release and balance?
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

It's been a while, but I did some side by side testing with both 240 versions as I own the Shizuku 240 Gyuto. The Hammered version was slightly thinner and a little lighter and maybe edged mine just a tad in performance. To be honest, I like the Rosewood handles on the Shizuku better, but who knows what handles will be used on the next batch of both of these knives. As I recall, my Shizuku was slightly better on food release. These knives were really quite similar in many respects so I think you'd be happy with either, but if you want a little more performance go Hammered. If you want a little more stiffness and a slightly less delicate feel, go Shizuku. I do think the Shizuku finish is pretty bad-ass and quite unique :-).
lagrange

Post by lagrange »

Appreciate the advice Steve. I was thinking the same about the Shizuku finish.