Aogami Super Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
benslammin

Aogami Super Gyuto

Post by benslammin »

Been looking at knives recently and kind of all over the place...what's everyone's thoughts on aogami super? And does Takeda make the best knives from this steel?

Many thanks!

Ben
jason

Re: Aogami Super Gyuto

Post by jason »

Best is very subjective. I personally really like aogami super, but I like the heat treatment high - 64HRC and above. It can be brittle so the way the blade is made comes into play
J david

Post by J david »

Most will agree that Takeda does a fine job with AS, however, his grinds and profile are quite divisive. There are very many makers that do exceptional heat treat with AS including any that you would find on CKTG.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Moritakas as steel that s awesome
delmar

Post by delmar »

Many feel AS is about as good as you can get for balance of attributes. A lot depends on the smith, but it is damn good steel, a favorite of mine.

Divisive is a good word for takeda. I'd say that the detractors are definitly in the minority. Unique knives with unique attributes. Outlier in the J knife world.
srram_ime

Post by srram_ime »

Regardless, the Takeda Gyuto is an awesome everyday kitchen knife.
benslammin

Post by benslammin »

Alright thanks, everybody!

Anyone have experience w/ the Teruyasu Fujiwara AS line of knives? I realize they're really expensive, but are does their performance merit the $$$$$$$$$$?
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Teruyasu Fujiwara knives are somewhat divisive like Takeda knives due to the variability from individual knife to knife. The most common complaints are that the fit and finish are not very good and the grind can be variable, sometimes with bad overgrinds. I don't have multiple examples of his knives, just repeating what is often noted online. However, these concerns have been raised often enough that some caution it's probably prudent.

People always rave about the quality of his heat treat regardless. On the other hand, if a bladesmith isn't beholden to using only traditional methods of heat treat and will use a temperature controlled kiln for HT, it's mostly a matter of testing each batch of steel under varying conditions, and a guy in his garage can do incredible heat treat better than many that only judge by eye in their forge.

IMHO the best approach is to buy one of his knives second hand at a discount such that if you're not happy, you could resell it without a loss.

I personally love the example of Takeda gyuto that I got. But it's less about the steel than the geometry. As a home user with a lot of knives, I don't care much about edge retention. I actually prefer low alloy, high carbon steel (like shirogami/white steel) even though the edge retention is less because they are easily sharpened to insane sharpness and easily returned to that sharpness with minimal effort. YMMV depending on how often you use your knife, what you cut and what you're cutting on, how comfortable you are sharpening, etcetera...
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

I'll echo milkbaby.
TF is known for the quality heat treat, the resulting incredible edge, and F&F that is all over the place. Apparently once they became known as a knife to get he just started cranking out knives. I can't blame him, but it kept be from buying one.

I've read more than once that the core of his san mai can be quite deep. I'm worried about drying out that trench enough for the white steel. Thicknesses and handle-ferrule fit could be all over the place. More variability than normal in profile for hand made.
People would simultaneously rave about the edge & complain about the rest. Plus non-knife people didn't understand that White steel taken that hard would be chippy. They didn't or couldn't modify their usage.

AS has a bit of chrome and more toughness, but I'd think the same worries apply.

YMMV. It's all about the edge, the luck of the draw, & how much you can put up with for that edge.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

+17

Takeda has a pretty sweet heat treat on his AS. Moritaka is also damn good but the one Moritaka I've used needed some elbow grease to make the grind sing.
gladius

Post by gladius »

btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Anryu san has a line of stainless clad AS that looks pretty fierce. I just got the nakiri and am about to pick up the 300mm suji. The gyutos look pretty sweet. Here's the 240mm. I believe they have them in stock at Seisuke Knife in Portland (their partner store in the US).
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I believe all the images of the Anryu gyutos on that site are of the 270mm, so they look longer. I'm sure they'd be happy to send you pics of the shorter versions that they have in stock. John from Seisuke sent me pictures of the nakiri and saya when I was placing my first order; very helpful.