Gyuto or Kiritsuke 210-240

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cwillett

Gyuto or Kiritsuke 210-240

Post by cwillett »

1)Pro or home cook? Home cook. Family of 5. I cook a lot.

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.). Gyuoto or Kiritsuke.

3) What size knife do you want? 210-240.

4)How much do you want to spend? Under $400.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Clad carbon or stainless/PM.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Japanese.

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Matsubara blue 2 nakiri (165mm). Masakage Yuki petty 150mm (white 2), Wustof and Henckel 8" chef knives.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Excellent for a home cook.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Increasingly push/pull, draw stroke, guillotine, etc.

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes.

I'm looking for a knife to replace the 8" Wustof and Henckels chef knives that I've been using for the last 15 years. I've move away from rocking and am looking for a knife that has a large flat spot. I don't really want a laser type knife (for now) or one with an overly delicate tip. The knife will have to be able to handle harder produce like winter squash, celery root, etc. Eventually (maybe next summer), I'd like to get a laser type knife as I've been really enjoying the thin (for me) Matsubara nakiri.

I'm open for steel, but would like at some point to try Aogami Super. My wife is pretty good about wiping down the carbon knives, but for a workhorse type knife stainless or PM steel would be fine, preferably R2 or G3. I don't think I need, or want, the edge retention of something like HAP40 or ZDP simply because I like to sharpen.

Price isn't so much of an issue. Money gets slowly saved and I'm not thinking of buying for another month or two (when funds get up enough).

The Masakage Koishi series, Kurosaki R2 and AS, Yahiko White 2 Nashiji, Saji Ginsan, Sukenari AS Hairline, and Anryu Blue 2 Hammered are all lines (in gyuto and kiritsuke form) that I've looked at and pondered buying.

Thanks!
cedarhouse

Re: Gyuto or Kiritsuke 210-240

Post by cedarhouse »

I am a big proponent of the 240mm gyuto. I own about a dozen of 'em plus about three other knives that really belong to my wife. A 240mm knife is more efficient with most types of cuts so long as you feel comfortable with a larger knife and you have room for it in your kitchen/on your cutting board. (A good rule of thumb is your knife should fit from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle diagonally on your cutting board.) You can cover more ingredients and larger ingredients with one pass of the knife. Rock cutting also requires less movement of you hand to create the same amount of clearance under the blade.

As far as profile, a kiritsuke looks cool and it certainly would lend itself to your goal of more chopping, but the knife will hamstring you there. Where as a flat gyuto can chop or rock, and kirituske can only chop or slice.

Upshot: go for a 240mm gyuto.

Your list is a strong one. The Masakage Koishi is a superstar, it will blow your socks off and it uses AS steel. However, it is a very thin knife at the edge. Some would certainly call it a laser so it might not be what you are looking for right now. I have a review here: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-others/

The Kurosaki AS is an outstanding knife as well and depending on price and availability, it is a better bargain than the Koishi. It too is fairly thin at the edge. A review: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... 0mm-gyuto/

The Saji Ginsan is a very nice knife with a grind more suited to your interests. Obviously it is not AS steel so that may be a problem. I really struggle to see the Saji's price as justified given some of the other solid options out there. Review: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... 0mm-gyuto/

I am very intrigued by the Sukenari AS as an option...I have really wanted to try that knife myself. Sukenari grinds tend to be pretty muscular so you should find that to your liking. I have generally found the performance of the Sukenaris to be a bit sub par...they are very good knives, I've used two different Sukenari gyutos and I own a third, but they do command a bit of a premium so my expectations tend to be high. Given the specifics of your request, the Sukenari may be uniquely suited to your needs. Especially paired with a laser down the road, you would be well equipped to play good cop/bad cop.

The Anryu is one of my all time favorite knives. It is a solid performer, its grind is forgiving, the steel performs very well, the aesthetic is charming, and the price is very competitive. I will not tell you to buy this knife, there are so many good knives out there, but I will tell you to look hard at it. A review: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... 0mm-gyuto/. Also an interesting head to head comparison: https://ryansvignettes.wordpress.com/20 ... -hammered/
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've owned or own all but the Suki. All excellent knives. Not many on CKTG really have long flat spots, but the Yahiko 240 is one of them. That said all the others have decent flat spots that allow them to chop well.

The Koishi is the highest level performer of the lot but it's wispy at the tip. I can use it for squash. I just tend not to.

The Saji has a similar profile to the Kuro and both have sturdier tips than the Koishi. Saji has classic good looks but it probably is a bit overpriced. Excellent ginsan steel, though.

The Kuro Laser is my favorite of his knives. His R2 (wa handle) is thinner, his AS a touch more robust.

I'd consider Kanehiro too. Has some belly but the tall height aids in chopping.
Last edited by jbart65 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffry B
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

The Anryu Hammered blue #2 has been high on the list, but it hasn't been in stock for quite a while. I think that it, along with the Koishi, the Yahiko White #1 Nashiji, and the Kurosaki AS are the most likely knives for me. I really like the look of a kiritsuke, but it doesn't seem like it is really what I want right now.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Anryu has a feeling of confidence, especially on denser product. The blue steel and how it's treated is a big reason why.

I'd feel most confident in the Kuro kurouchi AS, Saji and Yahiko in that order. The Kuro and Saji have very similar profiles and perform quite similarly.

The Yahiko is one of my newer knives but I've not shied away from using it on anything.

Another knife I've really liked that falls into this grouping is the Kamo R2.
Jeffry B
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm The Anryu has a feeling of confidence, especially on denser product. The blue steel and how it's treated is a big reason why.

I'd feel most confident in the Kuro kurouchi AS, Saji and Yahiko in that order. The Kuro and Saji have very similar profiles and perform quite similarly.

The Yahiko is one of my newer knives but I've not shied away from using it on anything.

Another knife I've really liked that falls into this grouping is the Kamo R2.
Any other feedback on the Yahiko? Steve Gamache really seemed to like both the 210 and the 240 and it has a large flat spot. Plus, I like the aesthetics on it a lot. There just isn't a lot of information out there on it other than it is a line brought in for CKTG.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I'm in a very similar boat to the OP (looking for a 210-ish AS gyuto) so I hope that I'm not hijaking by asking my own questions. I'd like to ask for more feedback about the Anryu and the Kuro AS Razor, and how those might compare to a small Takeda gyuto? I have a very flat-bellied 240mm k-tip gyuto, which is great but its flatness makes it feel like something other than a gyuto. Looking for something to compliment it, and had almost settled on the Takeda until I started reading about wedging and grind issues. (Though I'm still probably going to try one at a some point).
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

cwillett wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 pm Any other feedback on the Yahiko? Steve Gamache really seemed to like both the 210 and the 240 and it has a large flat spot. Plus, I like the aesthetics on it a lot. There just isn't a lot of information out there on it other than it is a line brought in for CKTG.
Here a few links with comments by Steve and I.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1256&hilit=yahiko+nashiji

Another user's impressions:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1765&p=17315&hilit ... iji#p17315

Supposedly the Yahiko is made by a Yoshikane, a well known maker of topnotch knives. I certainly can believe it. This is a very nice knife. I've used most of what's sold on CKTG and it's definitely one of my favorites.
Jeffry B
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

Yahiko 240mm Nashiji is inbound!
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Congrats! Let us know your thoughts.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I'll be looking forward to hear those too, as my sights are set on just that one (or 240, we'll see if the wife insists ;) )
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Yahiko Nashiji is a terrific knife. Really doesn't have any weaknesses. Others might excite a bit more in one fashion or another, but I've got about 15 gyutos and the Yahiko Nashiji is one of my three most used knives.

PS: I did just notice the Masakage Yuki 240 selling for $185. That might be the best knife for the money on the CKTG website at the moment.
Jeffry B
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I'll write a full review in a few months after I've really gotten to know the knife, but so far I am highly impressed. The edge on the knife is the best of any of the knives I've gotten from CKTG. I'm going to strop it this weekend for a bit more refinement. The blade is aesthetically very appealing: Very handsome. The handle is basic, but has a nice texture to it rather than being completely smooth. I may rough it a little further before sealing the handle with mineral or other oil. The very generous flat spot toward the heel (last half or more of the knife) is nice to have for pure chopping (kale salad) and the tip really does blow through things like onions. The knife is physically large and is a little intimidating to use, though not so heavy as to be cumbersome. I'm very happy with the knife and will write something more thorough after I've used it heavily.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am The Yahiko Nashiji is a terrific knife. Really doesn't have any weaknesses. Others might excite a bit more in one fashion or another, but I've got about 15 gyutos and the Yahiko Nashiji is one of my three most used knives.

PS: I did just notice the Masakage Yuki 240 selling for $185. That might be the best knife for the money on the CKTG website at the moment.
I was on the fence on this before and I finally pulled the trigger on the Yuki. I'm glad I did. I got other gyutos at home and I tend to reach for the Yuki most of the time. No regrets at all. Next will be her cousin Koishi as a Xmas present to myself. 😀
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I just submitted a review of the Yahiko 240. In short: Love it! I'm really surprised at the edge retention: It seems like my Yuki needs constant attention to maintain the edge (weekly: Rika 5k->Kitayama 8k->1 micro strop->leather strop), and it gets far less use than the Yahiko, which only sees the strop on the weekends and just touched stones for the first time after a month of use and abuse: The wife carved pumpkins with it and chops herbs like a Benihana cook. I only have the Yuki to compare it to another white steel blade, but I'd say the edge retention is more like the blue 2 nakiri I have. Great looking knife to boot, though the cladding does not seem to be completely stainless as I've grown rust spots near the blade-handle junction where I have been sloppy with drying.