Looking for a gyuto with a colourful handle (240mm)

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Leafs

Looking for a gyuto with a colourful handle (240mm)

Post by Leafs »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (gyuto, santuko, etc)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?
240mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
200-400

5) Do you prefer stainless or reactive carbon?
Unsure

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Henkel 10" Pro knife

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good

9)Are you a rocker, chopper or push cutter?
Chopper/push cutter

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
I know the basics

Hey guys, I recently discovered Japanese knives and I'm in love with the look of them, especially the handles. The colourful handles just look gorgeous, and I can really appreciate a custom made item. Looking for something sharp to do everyday cooking tasks such as cutting meat and vegetables. Budget is 200-400 but the cheaper the better (as long as the quality is still there of course). I know the custom handles cost more but I am so lost when it comes to knives that I came here for help. Thanks in advance!
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a gyuto with a colourful handle (240mm)

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

If you decide on a blade for a wa handled knife, feel free to email me about a custom handle and I’ll send you a picture of our current handle inventory. I mostly put them on knives and then sell them but plenty of guys do this and I’m happy to do it. Only takes a couple days to set up and ship.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Leafs

Post by Leafs »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 pm If you decide on a blade for a wa handled knife, feel free to email me about a custom handle and I’ll send you a picture of our current handle inventory. I mostly put them on knives and then sell them but plenty of guys do this and I’m happy to do it. Only takes a couple days to set up and ship.
Thanks so much I will definitely do that!! So now that I have the handle part figured out I just need to figure out what knife to get!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

The hinoura with the khii ebony handle looks like a nice one. Ive heard they r real high quality, but I haven't used one, perhaps someone will chime in
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

You can get a colored or custom handle for anything. It would help to know if you want fully reactive, stainless clad or stainless. Fully reactive knives can rust and discolor if not frequently wiped and dried. stainless clad only have edges that are fully reactive. Stainless is, well, stainless. Search this forum for more info if you need it.

If someone is unsure, I always recommend stainless clad or stainless.

Your Henckels is heavier and less nimble than many 240 J knives. What is it you like/dislike about it?
Jeffry B
datster

Post by datster »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 pm If you decide on a blade for a wa handled knife, feel free to email me about a custom handle and I’ll send you a picture of our current handle inventory. I mostly put them on knives and then sell them but plenty of guys do this and I’m happy to do it. Only takes a couple days to set up and ship.
Yeah, what Mark said ...... plus, make sure the knife is one you want before adding the cost of a custom handle. Mark has a crazy assortment of cool stuff and if by chance you don't see what you want there are plenty of guys here who can make one to your exact specifications from whatever materials you want.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

One think to consider is the material. Natural woods are generally lighter than stabilized woods, and colorful dyed woods are generally stabilized. This will change the balance point and handling of a knife.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Those are some good looking handles, Mark! It will be a hard decision for me on which hanlde I would choose from that selection. They all look great.