Need Gyuto recommendation - First Japanese Knife!

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Blyler

Need Gyuto recommendation - First Japanese Knife!

Post by Blyler »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Wa Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?
240mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
under $250

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
I like either stainless, or stainless clad over reactive carbon, but I like easy to maintain/clean.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Shun Reserve 8"

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
poor

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
rocker

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
yes

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.
I'm looking for an all-around good performer, rather than a specialized knife that's only good at one task. I also value easy-to-use, and holds-its-edge.
jbart65

Re: Need Gyuto recommendation - First Japanese Knife!

Post by jbart65 »

Not a lot of stock in at the moment. Among the stuff in stock, I'd recommend the Harakuze AS, Goko or Konosuke Swedish.

The Hara and Kono are excellent all-rounders. The Goko is taller and has some chopping power. The Hara has the best edge retention, but if you know how to sharpen, the others use steel than can be brought back to peak sharpness with just a few swipes on the stones.

My favorite knife $250 and under is the Yahiko Nashiji. Not as good at rocking at the others, but it's a refined and high-level knife that excels at push cutting anc chopping. The Yahiko Kurouchi is similar in performance but costs less.

All of these are stainless clad or, in the case of the Kono, stainless.
Jeffry B
Blyler

Post by Blyler »

jbart65 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:31 pm Not a lot of stock in at the moment.
Hi, thanks for this, it's very helpful. Do you have something in mind that isn't in stock? If so, any idea when it will be in stock? I'd be okay with some waiting.
gladius

Post by gladius »

This will make an excellent “first gyuto”.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3114#p27719
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

+1 to jbart with the Konosuke Swedish <https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koswstgy241.html>. I have this knife and it does most things very well. It's a knife that I really like
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

If that Tanaka in the classified section is still available, I'd jump on it unhesitatingly. Otherwise, I'd get the konosuke stainless. You came to the right place.