Sakai Takayuki ginsan Damascus and non Damascus

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Crane

Sakai Takayuki ginsan Damascus and non Damascus

Post by Crane »

I am in difficulty to decide between Sakai Takayuki Ginsan 24 mm WA handle Damascus and non Damascus version.
What is the best way of thinking to decide between those two comparable knives. Price difference is not critical for me.

I need an urgent help. Thanks in advance.
Dan_Crubenew

Re: Sakai Takayuki ginsan Damascus and non Damascus

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

The Damascus one is very slightly taller at the heel and maybe just a bit more belly to the profile. Otherwise the difference is mostly in appearance of the cladding and the price.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Dan_Crubenew wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 am The Damascus one is very slightly taller at the heel and maybe just a bit more belly to the profile. Otherwise the difference is mostly in appearance of the cladding and the price.
Thats interesting. Do you think thats standard or, perhaps, just minor differences in a handmade knive?
How did you come to your conclusion?
Dan_Crubenew

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

It could likely be a difference between them being handmade, I once worked in a kitchen where a couple co-workers used Takayuki knives, one had a damascus one and the other had the "regular" one. They were both good knives, as you would likely hope at the price. That said, I didn't own them myself, only used them on loan for a day or two each to try. Personally, I liked the Damascus one better.
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

Whichever one you get, it will be one of the absolute best knives you will ever lay your hands on. Congrats in advance
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I love my non damascus one, to the op. I cannot imagine​ the grind being any better in the non damascus, as it seems like absolute perfection.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Which knives are you guys talking about?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Mahalo Ramon.
Don't know why I have never seen these :o
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

mauichef wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:45 pm Mahalo Ramon.
Don't know why I have never seen these :o
Honestly one of the best cutters you will ever use
Crane

Post by Crane »

Thank you so much for the answers.
It is a tough decision cause they are so close really.
Heel hight of damascus seem slightly taller than. This gives nice handling for a blade heavy knife. I have got the impression that extra hand work needed for Damascus process requires more refinement and care on material and edge. This gives a distinguishable sense for a tool hold for hours.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

The grind on the non damascus is also perfection. The whole knive is shown extreme attention to detail and care. Im sure you love whichever u choose.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Damascus is the best knife I've ever used. And now I own one, though it won't get her till next Monday.
Jeffry B
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:04 am The Damascus is the best knife I've ever used. And now I own one, though it won't get her till next Monday.
Nice! Im jelly!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

You got the non Dasmascus version, right, Ramon. If so, we should do a swap next year ...
Jeffry B
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

Apologies to revive this dead thread, but it is the exact thread I was hoping to start myself. Does anyone have any more feedback on these 2 knives? I have used some damascus knives in the past where way too much etching was one on the cladding, and as a result, generated a large amount of drag as it moved through product. Does this style of damascus suffer from this? Also, as a generality, how much of a concern do you all have when sharpening and/or eventually thinning a damascus knife vs. a non-damascus knife, are you more cautious do you don't ruin the cladding?

It may also be wise to move this thread to the Knife Recommendation or General subfolder.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Done!
salemj

Post by salemj »

Eversor13 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm Apologies to revive this dead thread, but it is the exact thread I was hoping to start myself. Does anyone have any more feedback on these 2 knives? I have used some damascus knives in the past where way too much etching was one on the cladding, and as a result, generated a large amount of drag as it moved through product. Does this style of damascus suffer from this? Also, as a generality, how much of a concern do you all have when sharpening and/or eventually thinning a damascus knife vs. a non-damascus knife, are you more cautious do you don't ruin the cladding?

It may also be wise to move this thread to the Knife Recommendation or General subfolder.
There have been other comparisons between the two, one on this forum and one on the old forum. I don't think they address the specific issues you ask about, but it is worth checking out:

viewtopic.php?t=726

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/view ... yuki%20240
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

Thank you Ray for moving the thread, and thank you Joe for the additional links. Did anyone have any input on potential slicking of the cladding? It looks like Jeffry owned one of these in the past.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Eversor13 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am Thank you Ray for moving the thread, and thank you Joe for the additional links. Did anyone have any input on potential slicking of the cladding? It looks like Jeffry owned one of these in the past.
My pleasure. I actually think this is nuanced in the review post I linked and that was mentioned by others. JSG is a major pro, and when he mentions things like "grace" in the cut or "subtlety" in terms of the quality or contrast in the damascus, or even the quality of tip performance, he if often including the affect the finish has on performance and not just its cosmetics or just the grind or whatever. I also think that if there were any issues with the damascus feeling unusually etched, he would probably have mentioned it.

That said, hopefully someone else who has used the knife can give you more specific feedback on that precise issue!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.