Recommendation request on a 240mm gyoto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
tinotavli

Recommendation request on a 240mm gyoto

Post by tinotavli »

There was an earlier post that Mark listed for me. I would like to revisit the request. I recently sold my Kohetsu HAP40 240mm Western Gyoto, I loved the edge retention and weight but the handle seemed a bit small and uncomfortable. I also found the height of the blade a bit short.

Thinking of moving to a Wa 240mm Gyoto with a smooth, finished choil and a little room, as I sometimes use a heavy pinch grip. I would prefer an octagonal Wa and a blade height over 48mm.

1) Pro

2) Gyuto

3) 240mm - medium to heavy flat spot

4) $200-$300

5) I have a little flexibility on the finish. I do not prefer a heavy reactive cladding..I did like the look of blacksmith finishing, but I also don't want to wipe very frequently.

6) Want to try a Wa

7) Earlier years German and French, then Shun, and most recently western Gyoto.

8) Excellent

9) Chop, Push, occasional Rocker... only Pull with Fish

10) Yes

Thank you.
Last edited by tinotavli on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nmiller21k

Re: Recommendation request on a 240mm gyoto

Post by Nmiller21k »

This one checks all your boxes.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kamo.html
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkaasgy24.html

is another great option and in stock
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I didn't answer this because Nick is right. A Kamo is what you want. They're splendid.
journeymandoug

Post by journeymandoug »

I’ll take the risky route and suggest a Takeda. Maybe more than you planned to spend, but if you treat it right, it will amaze you. I’ve been using my 240 iron clad, and 270 stainless clad in the Pro environment for some time. They strop back to life in seconds, are incredibly easy to sharpen, and Aogami Super is still in my opinion the best knife steel on Earth. Even at 61+hrc it’s very forgiving. I also prefer a tall blade, and I am a very fast chopper. Even banging poly boards for 5-6 hours a day mine have held up well.
tinotavli

Post by tinotavli »

Nmiller21k wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkaasgy24.html

I'm drawn to the rustic aesthetics of this beauty, but I also have two concerns.

1. How often will I have to wipe the knife? If I have to julianne 50 lbs of onions did I have to frequently wipe clean?

2. In the video for this gyoto the flat door is almost non-existent yet one of the reviews stated that it's not the case. I don't want a rocker.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

tinotavli wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 am
Nmiller21k wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkaasgy24.html

I'm drawn to the rustic aesthetics of this beauty, but I also have two concerns.

1. How often will I have to wipe the knife? If I have to julianne 50 lbs of onions did I have to frequently wipe clean?

2. In the video for this gyoto the flat door is almost non-existent yet one of the reviews stated that it's not the case. I don't want a rocker.
You shouldn't have to wipe the knife too often.
Has a nice flat spot near the heel
used one for a week on a pass around and it's just an all around fantastic knife.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:09 am
tinotavli wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 am

You shouldn't have to wipe the knife too often.
Has a nice flat spot near the heel
used one for a week on a pass around and it's just an all around fantastic knife.
+1
tinotavli

Post by tinotavli »

journeymandoug wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:23 pm I’ll take the risky route and suggest a Takeda. Maybe more than you planned to spend, but if you treat it right, it will amaze you. I’ve been using my 240 iron clad, and 270 stainless clad in the Pro environment for some time. They strop back to life in seconds, are incredibly easy to sharpen, and Aogami Super is still in my opinion the best knife steel on Earth. Even at 61+hrc it’s very forgiving. I also prefer a tall blade, and I am a very fast chopper. Even banging poly boards for 5-6 hours a day mine have held up well.
Man...I really hate you for recommending this... it's all I want now and I was about to pull the trigger on the Shiro Kamo AS gyoto 240mm. The profile of the Shiro concerns me as the flat spot seems small. I don't mind the extra height of the Takeda.. but I do mind the price.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

On the handmade stuff you often find modest differences from knife to knife. If you're really concerned you could email CKTG and ask if they have a Shiro Kamo with an inch plus flat spot. I doubt you would be disappointed. A Takeda is even riskier; they aren't made from a template so they can vary wildly.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

The Yahiko 240mm Nashiji has a very long flat spot and chops very well. It is stainless cladding over white 2. The cladding isn't completely stainless, though, and the white 2 core steel will require more sharpening than might be optimal in a pro setting. I have to strop mine once a week, and run in on an 8k every four-ish weeks. Home kitchen, but relatively high volume.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Kamo R2 nmiller recommends is arguably the best all-rounder on the CKTG website. If I were a pro, that would be my top choice for a do-it-all knife that can handle any product and retain a great edge. The Kurosaki R2 wa is another good one.

I'd also give the Kanehiro AS a good look.

I just picked up a Shibata AS but haven't put it to a test yet. Another possibility. I'll give it a quick go tonite and offer a few comments.
Jeffry B
delmar

Post by delmar »

Most everyone points to a kamo. Listen. Wisdom in those recs.

The R2 kicks butt. Edge lasts for a long, long time. 2nd only to HAP40 for me. The AS has better feed back with a bit less edge retention.

If you are really focused on more substantial flat spot, look at gihei blue 2
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

While the Takedas are great.. most of them have almost 0 flat spot.

Just a heads up.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Shibata ... wow. Only used it for an hour, but it's a sweet knife. Super sharp, nice convexing for such a thin blade, AS steel, stainless clad. Nice handle and good fit and finish. Flat spot? Decent. With a little technique adjustment it should chop just fine. Light enough at 5.6 oz not to induce fatique, but heavy enough to do most jobs.

I still give the Kamo R2 top billing for a pro.
Jeffry B
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

kurosaki r2 wa handle, edge goes on forever, very good separation and food release, good all around profile, and has a tip that while not the most dexterous, has enough meat to be taken everywhere with confidence, it's a great all arounder as well.
journeymandoug

Post by journeymandoug »

Lepus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm On the handmade stuff you often find modest differences from knife to knife. If you're really concerned you could email CKTG and ask if they have a Shiro Kamo with an inch plus flat spot. I doubt you would be disappointed. A Takeda is even riskier; they aren't made from a template so they can vary wildly.
Yes. Takedas are risky. Reward is the opposite side of the coin. Lol... with my Takeda 240 I can CHOP slices of ripe tomato without holding them with my other hand. No stickage, no squishing. Plus you have a one of one knife. Takeda San will not be making knives forever, and it’s very cool to have something from a smith that is so committed to thinking outside the box.

Wouldn’t trade mine for the world. Just got a Zwilling Kramer, watch for a full review of that soon.
journeymandoug

Post by journeymandoug »

I don’t like the super semi stainlesses, as a pro. They are hard to sharpen, and never feel as sharp as they should be. I would stick to carbon and keep an Idahone or a ‘green brick of joy’ around. I have a HAP40 kohetsu, and while it shaves, and cuts paper towel easily, it doesn’t feel as sharp as it should in produce. The steel has exceptional feedback, and it’s incredibly stiff for how thin it is, but it just is never the sharpest tool in the roll.

Carbon steel is the place to be.
tinotavli

Post by tinotavli »

journeymandoug wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 am I don’t like the super semi stainlesses, as a pro. They are hard to sharpen, and never feel as sharp as they should be. I would stick to carbon and keep an Idahone or a ‘green brick of joy’ around. I have a HAP40 kohetsu, and while it shaves, and cuts paper towel easily, it doesn’t feel as sharp as it should in produce. The steel has exceptional feedback, and it’s incredibly stiff for how thin it is, but it just is never the sharpest tool in the roll.

Carbon steel is the place to be.
I'm glad that you reminded me...I had a similar experience with the Kohetsu HAP40 Western 240mm, and I was considering the Hohetsu HAP40 Wa 270mm because of the increased height. Although super sharp, it did not easily cut through a head of cabbage like my older Shun does.
tinotavli

Post by tinotavli »

The Shiro Kamo R2 240mm Gyoto seems to be the heavy favorite for my use. It's unfortunately unavailable so I'm wondering what the biggest difference would be with the Shiro Kamo AS 240 mm Gyoto?

The Takeda and the Kamo do not seem to have much of a flat spot but I haven't noticed any difficulty in chopping in any of the videos.

The Takeda seems great but I'm not comfortable spending over $400 with a saya for a pro environment. There was also a concerning review that someone had a chipping issue cutting cabbage.