Tojiro vs Tojiro

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
CaptainRon23

Re: Tojiro vs Tojiro

Post by CaptainRon23 »

Thank you that is incredibly helpful. I'm just starting to learn how to sharpen (about 2 weeks), I've only practiced on German style knives to far. Really just trying to get a feel for it.

I bought my first Japanese knife about a month ago from the classifieds (210 Tanaka VG-10 Damascus) based on your recommendation and love it. I dented the blade slightly the first time I used it on an acorn squash :-( . I was embarrassed because i usually take pride in using the right tool for the job. It has't affected the performance because its such a small dent but, I learned my lesson. I was pointed toward the "Squash Knife Killer" Thread shortly after. Using the Tanaka it cuts through food so much easier than I'm used to and I'm hooked. Its VG-10 steel but, I've treated it like a reactive blade that will rust because it was an investment.

The sharpening kit came with a 10 inch richmond practice knife for sharpening and I really like using the longer length. It feels very comfortable to me so I'm just casually looking at 240mm and 270mm gyutos right now that would be used for a all around knife.I might not need that big of length but, the bigger blade is comfortable to me. The easier sharpening is something that I'm considering now since I'm still a rookie. I'm not really worried about edge retention or the discoloring that doesn't bother me. I'm not looking for a laser because the Tanaka feels like that to me. I'm used tools my whole life and I believe that knives are no different. They are just tools of the kitchen.
Kit Craft wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 am
You ask about sweet potatoes, I don't eat them...But in general I can tell you that I can chop nuts, chocolate and shells with an FKH. It is the knife I lend to my mother in-law, who batons through chicken bones, and it takes it. Sometimes a soft heat treat can be a good thing. The Tojiro is not near as delicate as other knives that I own either but if you want security go with the FKH.

Now, if you want security and a slight upgrade in every way there is always the Misono Swedish carbon. It feels a wee but harder but I would still do anything with it that I would with my FKH. I would not be without my 180mm fkh gyuot or misono 240, two peas in a pod!
This is what is going to sell me. I like the "mother-in-law proof knife." The durability is something i'm considering from my first mistake. Sweet potatoes are something I probably cut up the most, usually 6 pounds every week for my lunch. The Tanaka hasn't had a problem with them but, I'm cautious now.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

No problem, just don't Bobby Flay it. I think opening cans might be going a bit further than it can handle.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am For those that are considering the Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto, save some money and get this curiously similar Yahiko: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavgwegy21.html
:lol: Sneaky endorsement...love it. I've been eyeing one for a while. Gift ideas as well
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am For those that are considering the Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto, save some money and get this curiously similar Yahiko: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavgwegy21.html
:lol: Sneaky endorsement...love it. I've been eyeing one for a while. Gift ideas as well
But you see how it is worded? This is what I said in the other thread. :lol: That is why I suggested voting with the wallet. :D