Yoshimitsu blue 2 bunka

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
raleighcook15

Yoshimitsu blue 2 bunka

Post by raleighcook15 »

Would love to hear some reviews on this knife. It seems like something I would want. Thin, tall etc. I'm mostly curious how reactive the steel is, grind, etc.
Bensbites

Re: Yoshimitsu blue 2 bunka

Post by Bensbites »

I love mine. That being said, I have moved to some semi custom options and posted it for sale in the classifieds.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:53 am I love mine. That being said, I have moved to some semi custom options and posted it for sale in the classifieds.
What did you like about it?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

raleighcook15 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:04 am
Bensbites wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:53 am I love mine. That being said, I have moved to some semi custom options and posted it for sale in the classifieds.

Thin

Nice flat spot

Decent edge retention

It was my go to blade for a while, definitely the nicest blade I paid for. It absolutely blows the doors off the Artifex blades I have that can be a direct comparison.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 am

Thin

Nice flat spot

Decent edge retention

It was my go to blade for a while, definitely the nicest blade I paid for. It absolutely blows the doors off the Artifex blades I have that can be a direct comparison.
How was reactivity?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

raleighcook15 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:01 pm
Bensbites wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 am

Thin

Nice flat spot

Decent edge retention

How was reactivity?

I don’t think it is bad at all. I also have no problem with my tojiro ITK nakiri or my artifex 51200.
delmar

Post by delmar »

I've got one on its way. I'll report in in a week or so.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

delmar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:49 pm I've got one on its way. I'll report in in a week or so.
Please do. I'm debating it as my Christmas gift!
delmar

Post by delmar »

Just received today.

First Impressions:
some sharp edges around choil/neck. Handle is fine, but install a *bit* twisted. Blade has some minor scratches on it. The embossed kanji on the right side isn't a full stamp. Recognize that I am being very picky/critical here. Nowhere near issues I would try and send it back or exchange. Edge is pretty damn sharp OOTB.

Performance. Has a more substantial feel that I anticipated for such a thin blade. A bit of sticking on the beaded primary grind and mirror polish, but less than anticipated. What it lacks in laser-ish feel it gets back in performance - seems to sneak through product much more than bulldoze, similar to takamura/HD2.

Profile is really a curvy kiritsuke or flatish bunka - take your pick. My biggest issue is that the tip isn't as 'nimble' as I'd like. But this is only on an onion, shallot and garlic. I'll give it a whirl for a week and get back to you with more. I reserve the right to change my mind. But I'm thinking I might thin out the tip a bit to see if it glides through product better.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

delmar wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm Just received today.

First Impressions:
some sharp edges around choil/neck. Handle is fine, but install a *bit* twisted. Blade has some minor scratches on it. The embossed kanji on the right side isn't a full stamp. Recognize that I am being very picky/critical here. Nowhere near issues I would try and send it back or exchange. Edge is pretty damn sharp OOTB.

Performance. Has a more substantial feel that I anticipated for such a thin blade. A bit of sticking on the beaded primary grind and mirror polish, but less than anticipated. What it lacks in laser-ish feel it gets back in performance - seems to sneak through product much more than bulldoze, similar to takamura/HD2.

Profile is really a curvy kiritsuke or flatish bunka - take your pick. My biggest issue is that the tip isn't as 'nimble' as I'd like. But this is only on an onion, shallot and garlic. I'll give it a whirl for a week and get back to you with more. I reserve the right to change my mind. But I'm thinking I might thin out the tip a bit to see if it glides through product better.
This bunka is my nicest jknife. I have a few others cheaper knives that I have tried to tune up. That being said, I bet this review is dead on.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

delmar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:49 pm I've got one on its way. I'll report in in a week or so.
Updates?
delmar

Post by delmar »

Well, my initial thoughts held true. I'd say it's a light middleweight or heavy lightweight. I don't think it's a true gyuto replacement 'cause you can't get high at all on tip.

It's kinda become a long nakiri replacement with a more utilitarian tip.

Did touch up on stones, and it's just fine. Typical feel for l blue.

Totally worth the $. Walnut handle is meh to me, so in process of yanking off and doing something else. Leading contender is stabilized tamarind main, Gabbon ebony spacer with nickel or copper accent borders, and stabilized blue dyed redwood burl. Got a nice piece of zebra wood that will probably go towards a saya....Gotta protect that tip, and I'm thinking my knife drawer holder might not do the trick.