No Wedge, No Stick

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
appleward91

No Wedge, No Stick

Post by appleward91 »

Hey all! So I started into knives about a year ago. Im one of those people who picked up a lot of knives at a very rapid pace. I'm sitting watching football and for some reason I had this thought.. My knives that have good food separation like my takedas for example, I get sometimes a wedge here and there. Then I have knives more on the laser side which just drop right into even tough products, but on the downside, ill get product that just sticks right on the blade. So my own small personal experience would have me believe that its one world or the other. Either you take food separation and sometimes wedge or you take no wedging and have to deal with food sticking. My question then is, are there 240 gyutos that you guys have used or can recommend that have that "fall through product" feeling, and also lays down food like old folk? Or is it just a thing i'd have to get used to choosing between? Thanks.
Kalaeb

Re: No Wedge, No Stick

Post by Kalaeb »

You Takeda fits in that category. It might just need a little thinning to prevent that wedge.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Kono lasers have that rep.
Blade speed helps too.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

My kono lasers have very noticeable stickage. However, it does not seem to be a bother while cutting, only if you slow down. Also, where potatoes stick to it they also come off with a brush, a flick of the wrist or a tap on the board. Not welded there, if you know what I mean.

For balance I liked my Ikeda but my Tanaka better than that (B#2 Damascus). Most Echizen blades I have used would be the opposite of my Kono lasers. In that they offer no sticking, none. But at times, with poor technique or a very over grown dense product, minimal wedging.

All knives seem to have a trade off, even those that are balanced well. I have found none to be perfect, yet.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:55 pm You Takeda fits in that category. It might just need a little thinning to prevent that wedge.
Dont know how to go about thinning a knife. :0
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Ourorboros wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm Kono lasers have that rep.
Blade speed helps too.
My kono is actually one that sticks a bit, superb superb knife, but som things will stick to that blade and just sit there
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm My kono lasers have very noticeable stickage. However, it does not seem to be a bother while cutting, only if you slow down. Also, where potatoes stick to it they also come off with a brush, a flick of the wrist or a tap on the board. Not welded there, if you know what I mean.

For balance I liked my Ikeda but my Tanaka better than that (B#2 Damascus). Most Echizen blades I have used would be the opposite of my Kono lasers. In that they offer no sticking, none. But at times, with poor technique or a very over grown dense product, minimal wedging.

All knives seem to have a trade off, even those that are balanced well. I have found none to be perfect, yet.
U like the tanaka over ikeda your saying?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

appleward91 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm My kono lasers have very noticeable stickage. However, it does not seem to be a bother while cutting, only if you slow down. Also, where potatoes stick to it they also come off with a brush, a flick of the wrist or a tap on the board. Not welded there, if you know what I mean.

In terms of non stick, yes 100%. Overall it is a tough call. I am really attached to that Ikeda. Mine is the 210 so I have no idea how the old KS clones or the new 240 compare.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm
appleward91 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm

In terms of non stick, yes 100%. Overall it is a tough call. I am really attached to that Ikeda. Mine is the 210 so I have no idea how the old KS clones or the new 240 compare.
And also, im not sure how two people have said that teir kono lasers dont stick cuz my new one i just got, some things will just sit and sit and sit along that blade lol. M.. dunno.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Anryu B2 Hammered

Never had mine wedge and minimal sticking
salemj

Post by salemj »

Some of this has to do with the finish on the knife, too. I am NOT suggesting that a laser won't have some stick issues, but using sandpaper on it (or allowing it to develop a patina, if it is carbon), may aid in food release, especially in terms of the difference between having to force the food off and having it "flick" off or whatever. I don't have any recommendations as I haven't really gone this far with any knives (in terms of sanding), but I have noticed differences between very similar knives that have different finishes, and Shibata's whole philosophy of finishing knives is based on this premise.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:24 pm Some of this has to do with the finish on the knife, too. I am NOT suggesting that a laser won't have some stick issues, but using sandpaper on it (or allowing it to develop a patina, if it is carbon), may aid in food release, especially in terms of the difference between having to force the food off and having it "flick" off or whatever. I don't have any recommendations as I haven't really gone this far with any knives (in terms of sanding), but I have noticed differences between very similar knives that have different finishes, and Shibata's whole philosophy of finishing knives is based on this premise.
Agreed. But as others mentioned above, technique also aids in release. If I cut, really, really slow with my lasers they stick worse than if I am quick. Also, straight up and down, slicing and push cutting seem to make a difference for me.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

My Kurosaki Megumi fits that pretty well. All knives can be wedgy depending on technique I think. If you don't give it a good push, even lasers can get stuck in cabbages. I've used two Kono lasers and I am surprised at how good the release is.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:19 pm Anryu B2 Hammered

Never had mine wedge and minimal sticking
+1... I dont find the anryu to be wedgey like ive heard a couple people describe it as slightly​ wedgey or not going through food the greatest. I do think it benefits from a little extra push, but nothing that very strenous. Id say my kurasaki laser goes through most product better. It also seems to have reallu great food release. It seems to have an excellent balance of the two. Its interesting its called a laser, but its not laser cut, yet it performs like lasers ive had concerning food seperation, but with much much better food release. Im really digging this knife lately. Its been keeping my shibat kashima on the sidelines a bit. Im not saying its better, im just saying. I need to compare the food release directly between the anryu and kurasaki laser. I've done a little bit comparison, but not enough to give an extensive comparison.