New to Japanese knives

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
kilpikonnas

New to Japanese knives

Post by kilpikonnas »

Hello there I am new to Japanese knives and well just a lover of knives of all types. I work in a meat department and bring my own knives due how horrible their knives get (could cut better with a piece of cardboard). and I am looking for a upgrades/recommendations for atleast 2 knives. It shall be a wee bit before I get any but I like to mull over situations for awhile.

1)Pro or home cook?
home/semipro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
gyuto, boning ? ? ?

3) What size knife do you want?

4)How much do you want to spend?
150 range

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
doesn't matter shall take care of

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
no real preference; though I like the look of Japanese handles

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Jero cimeter; cheap mercer 6in curved boning; cheap mercer nakiri and chef

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
I'd say they are pretty good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
I do whatever feels right for what I am cutting at the time

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
I do tis been awhile; and I've recently bought stones based off recommendations from my lurking these forums so hopefully I shall get back in the swing of it!

Like I said I mainly work in a meat department and enjoy doing a decent bit home cooking as well. I mainly use chef knives and a couple shifts a week I can get away just using my boning knife. Due to me making and switching tasks sometimes midtask I try to keep things simple and multi-use. I am looking for a gyuto just to have a great all around knife for vegis and cutting boneless meats {mainly chicken breast and tender cuts of beef). My boning knife I can and have used all day and other days barely touched it depending what need be done. I break down a bit of chicken, and use it to trim pork/beef tenderloin and use to slice and portion if tis already in my hand.

Much appreciated for any and all information/recommendations/guidance :D
kilpikonnas

Re: New to Japanese knives

Post by kilpikonnas »

been looking around and found some instock knives I like the look of and was wondering if I can get some info on these. As they are ranging a bit monetarily I would like to hear more about profiles and I guess "bang for buck" as looking for a decent first higher grade knife (as most I use are in the 15-30 range; and mostly the cheapest of the Mercer knives)

Looking for a decent edge retention; but doesn't need to retain it through a brick as I have been enjoying sharpening my knives n my moms home knives (some of her knives feel like wielding a deathtrap due to dullness) I feel like I might fall down the stone rabbit hole been seeing people mention as I got my stones from lurking this forum.

I have no problem with reactive; patina looks nice to me and my carbon marttiini puukko (general purpose knife) that still looks quite quite attractive after years

Starting from cheapest up; plus any recommendations that fall in line

Makoto White#2 Damascus

Kanehide P60 Wa

Kohetsu Blue#2 Nashiji

Anryu Kurochi Damascus

I think about 170ish tops out my budget for one knife but if possible to get a nice one for less that is always fantastic in this world

Thanks again in advanced!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

The Kanehide knives made with TK steel would work out well. I've tried three or four of them and they fit the sort of use I imagine these seeing well.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/katkkn.html

With Japanese knives you are usually looking at stiffer stuff. If you prefer some flex you should probably stick to European makers, maybe a Sabatier. There is a proper butcher's knife in the Kanehide lineup that is based on the old Forgecrafts that could be ideal.

If there is any risk of the knife in question being left soiled at all, be careful when picking a reactive core or worse reactive clad knife. I think the Kohetsu you linked could be a very good choice as a reactive steel clad in stainless for getting your feet wet, but you would want to give the knife some work at home to get a feel for everything.

A Takamura would be in the running, too. They're excellent thin knives. They don't have Japanese handles but they are generally light enough they kind of fake it. If they interest you we can go into detail.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamuraknives.html
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Concerning the gyuto, i would get the makoto. Those are argueablly the best deal on the site. He is new and his knives will eventually rise in price. I haven't tried the Damascus one, but i tried the more expensive one and it was phenemonal for the cash. That would be a great all around gyuto to get started.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

I have to be honest, as a fellow meat guy, I would never bring my good, home knives to work. I'd be terrified to let them out of my sight. I usually just spend a few minutes in the morning, as needed, sharpening the Victorinox knives that I'll be using that day. I really only have the tools to put a coarse edge on them, but I prefer that for raw meat. When a knife reaches the end of its useful life, I just order a replacement. Not sure if you have that leeway though.

If you're committed to bringing a J-knife to work, and you really are comfortable with a reactive knife, I'd still look at Western handles. While not always made out of as attractive materials, I feel like they tend to be more durable and give you a better grip when things get messy. Maybe something like:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaswegy21.html

Only 25 off budget. Should have great edge retention with the Aogami super. Just don't let it out of your sight.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I like the PS60 rec. and consider the Takayuki Grand Chef AEB-L Gyuto 210mm as a solid choice esp. at the current price.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/taaegrchgy21.html

If you want a higher performing PM steel, consider the Yahiko R-2 Stainless Gyuto 210mm. Edge retention will be superior but be harder to sharpen.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yar2stgy21.html

Both are in-stock and within budget.
kilpikonnas

Post by kilpikonnas »

Gregory27 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 am I have to be honest, as a fellow meat guy, I would never bring my good, home knives to work. I'd be terrified to let them out of my sight.
yes I agree with this; and for the most part the the gyuto would be for home cooking.

and I will most likely just upgrade my work knives just a bit; as I have been questioning it.

thank you all for your replies and additional suggestions
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

kilpikonnas wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 am
Gregory27 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 am I have to be honest, as a fellow meat guy, I would never bring my good, home knives to work. I'd be terrified to let them out of my sight.
yes I agree with this; and for the most part the the gyuto would be for home cooking.

and I will most likely just upgrade my work knives just a bit; as I have been questioning it.

thank you all for your replies and additional suggestions
Okay, glad I mostly misread that. The thought of a $150 gyuto in a cutting room... very unsettling.

What implements do you have at work to maintain your knives? And would your employer be willing to at least replace some of your worn out knives? Doesn't seem right that you should have to worry about providing your own, sharp knives.
kilpikonnas

Post by kilpikonnas »

I bring and sharpen my own as the ones at work are pretty garbage, get sharpened every other week (horribly I might add) n jus steel

I bring my own to be comfortable and not use butter knives halfway through the first week, as highschoolers touch n clean em.

I'm fine wit buying n having my own for ease on wrists n well saftey.
kilpikonnas

Post by kilpikonnas »

And I purchased the Makoto; start off on the lower end before I make a big splash; n used the rest of my budget to get a flattening stone and stropping kit; to go along with the 220 2k 5k stones I have
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

kilpikonnas wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm And I purchased the Makoto; start off on the lower end before I make a big splash; n used the rest of my budget to get a flattening stone and stropping kit; to go along with the 220 2k 5k stones I have
I think you've made a wise choice. Tell us what u think about it later and enjoy!
kilpikonnas

Post by kilpikonnas »

I have received my knife; and it looks wonderful; I haven't used yet (as I am not making dinner today) but it feels very nice in the hand (I pinch grip); and out of box it is butter through the J. newsprint it was wrapped in

CaptainRon23

Post by CaptainRon23 »

kilpikonnas wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm I have received my knife; and it looks wonderful; I haven't used yet (as I am not making dinner today) but it feels very nice in the hand (I pinch grip); and out of box it is butter through the J. newsprint it was wrapped in

How do you like the knife so far? I was looking at this one and trying to decide if it's right for me (240mm version though). What have you used it on? Any foods that seem to wedge with (sweet potatoes?).

How does it shapen? I still new to J knives as well but, I wanted to try one with a ho handle.
kmtyb

Post by kmtyb »

Any feedback on the Makoto. At $100, its a steal!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

kmtyb wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:57 pm Any feedback on the Makoto. At $100, its a steal!
I just got my 240 Damascus today. Loving it so far.