Help buying knives, New member

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
alexec

Help buying knives, New member

Post by alexec »

1)Pro or home cook?
Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto, Sandoku, Sujihiki, Petty, Deba, Bunka, Nakiri

3) What size knife do you want?
240mm gyuto, 180mm sandoku, 270-300mm suji, 15mm petty, 150-170mm deba, 180mm bunka, 160-180mm nakiri

4)How much do you want to spend?
Whatever I buy I pay 20% taxes @ cyprus post office. I'd say 300 max if I didnt have that problem. Let's say 250$ maximum on each knife.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Anything

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
I use MisonoUX10 Gyuto 210mm, 180mm Sandoku

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Excelent

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
I prefer chopping and push pull mainly. Rock chopping only herbs.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
I do

- Ive been looking some knives like Takamura r2, Shibata Kotetsu SG2, Misono UX, Masakage Hikari and Kiri, Miyabi series, Masamoto VG, Iseya, Kanetsune, Shikisai and many many more tho I dont have the opportunity to find them anywhere in Cyprus. So I really need your reviews and help to find what I need.
Im buying online and any out-of- Europe seller cost me 20% more than the actual price for taxes.

Thanks, Alex