Need recommendation for my first gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Jeff B

Re: Need recommendation for my first gyuto

Post by Jeff B »

It's listed as iron cladding but I didn't know that when I used it. It didn't act like iron, that's one reason I forgot that it supposidly has it. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a micommunication and is actually stainless.
The Makato was the first knife to wow me in a long time. It performed way above my expectations given it's sub $200 price tag!

Never used a King or any other combo stone. I jumped in right over my head with Shapton Pros when I started sharpening.
Go to the sharpening forum and you'll get lots of advice on a good economical start.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 am It's listed as iron cladding but I didn't know that when I used it. It didn't act like iron, that's one reason I forgot that it supposidly has it. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a micommunication and is actually stainless.
The Makato was the first knife to wow me in a long time. It performed way above my expectations given it's sub $200 price tag!

Never used a King or any other combo stone. I jumped in right over my head with Shapton Pros when I started sharpening.
Go to the sharpening forum and you'll get lots of advice on a good economical start.
I hope its stainless thou, since iron will rust faster than stainless. Shapton seems kinda pricey for me, so ill go for the imanishi instead, ill get a better stone once im good at sharpening. Thank you so much for the guidance guys :D , ill wait for mark to reply my email for the makoto, and now im going to the sharpening advice forum. :mrgreen:
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:34 am I thought the one I used was stainless clad. It didn't seam very reactive at all and I was used to the Kurosaki so just assumed. I was floored when the owner of the knife told me it was iron clad, I never would have guessed.
Given the cost I would definately go with the Makato. If they were the same price I would probably still go Makato. :mrgreen:
Mine seemed stainless clad also, makota.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

It looks like there was an initial miscommunication that has been fixed. Steve's videos say it is iron clad, the item pages have corrected info. I think I'm going to get the santoku and maybe the Gihei tall petty that just came in stock.
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

"The inner core is covered with a stainless steel cladding in the san-mai style. The outer layer features a nicely executed kurouchi finish for added protection and increased food release characteristics"
The knife description is stainless clad. Steve said in the video maybe he need to revise it later too.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Lepus wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am It looks like there was an initial miscommunication that has been fixed. Steve's videos say it is iron clad, the item pages have corrected info. I think I'm going to get the santoku and maybe the Gihei tall petty that just came in stock.
---
Have you seen the Munetoshi 165mm petty?
It is 40mm tall! I really like it.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I'm considering that and the Toyama petty, too. I need to bulk out my smaller knife collection.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Makoto White #2 Damascus is still listed as iron clad and that might be where the mix up started.
The Damascus might be iron clad and the standard White #2 stainless clad. :?:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I think they are both stainless.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

At this point....anything is possible. I haven't used the Damascus so I can't say.
Lcarrasco

Post by Lcarrasco »

I have been using my Makoto white #2 daily for the last couple of weeks, and the cladding is definitely acting stainless. I highly recommend this knife. The performance so far has been superb. The feel is obviously very different than a true “laser,” but the performance is on par with them. The handle and polished spine and choil are much better than my more expensive stock knives.
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

Lcarrasco wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:15 am I have been using my Makoto white #2 daily for the last couple of weeks, and the cladding is definitely acting stainless. I highly recommend this knife. The performance so far has been superb. The feel is obviously very different than a true “laser,” but the performance is on par with them. The handle and polished spine and choil are much better than my more expensive stock knives.
Thanks for the info Lcarrasco, definetely gonna wait for it to be in stock. :D
Lcarrasco

Post by Lcarrasco »

Thanks for the info Lcarrasco, definetely gonna wait for it to be in stock. :D
[/quote]

You are welcome. I also waited, for what seemed like an eternity, and I am ecstatic about the purchase.