Need recommendation for my first gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Hienz

Need recommendation for my first gyuto

Post by Hienz »

Hello there, im new to japanese knives, i usually cook about 4-5 times a week, cooking is more like a hobby for me. Im interested in buying my first japanese knife since i saw so many cutting demos on youtube, in the end i ended up here, looking for my very first gyuto.

1)Pro or home cook?
home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
gyuto/santoku?

3) What size knife do you want?

4)How much do you want to spend?
150 - 200ish

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
stainless clad over reactive carbon

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
japanese handle, since its my first japanese knife, i want to feel what japanese handle feels like

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
a cheap $10 knife from ACE

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
fair

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Since i usually use my dull knife, i mostly rock than chop. So im hoping i can learn more techniques with a better knife.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
not yet, but willing to learn, ive been watching lots of videos on youtube, etc. gonna buy whetstone and strop once i got my knife.

As i said, i only cook for a few times a week, but i like it to be more enjoyable, so im looking for a knife thats comfortable in hand especially pinch grip, not so brittle or chippy, holds its edge for a long time, and not that hard to sharpen since im an amateur.
After reading lots of comments on other topics from the veterans here, it all comes down to these knives.

1. Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anhagy21.html (the knife thats most recommended for a starter)
2. Kurosaki AS Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anhagy21.html (also one of the knife people talk the most)
3. Kanehiro AS Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawa21.html#yswCart (some people said kanehiro is a touch better than the anryu or the kurosaki, and worth the extra cash, althou its kinda expensive for me)
when i almost set my mind on the kanehiro, this knife shows up
4. Makoto White #2 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy21.html (the one knife that screams "buy me" the most to me, since its quite cheap and has a really good profile and F&F). But sadly the 210 mm is OOS, the only makoto white #2 available is only the santoku 170mm and the 240 mm gyuto. (im afraid the santoku cannot perform as well as a gyuto and might be too short for me, while the 240mm im afraid its too long for me, and i dont have that much space in the kitchen, since my kitchen is not really that big)

Should i wait for the makoto white#2 gyuto 210 mm (which i dont know when it will be available again) or should i go with the other knife? im not really in a hurry, and i live in asia so its kinda hard and expensive just to buy a good knife here(shipping and tax), so i wanted to take my time and pick the most enjoyable knife of all.

Looking forward to the guidance of the veterans here. thank you in advance. :D :D ( sorry for my poor english)
Jeff B

Re: Need recommendation for my first gyuto

Post by Jeff B »

All excellent choices!

The Kurosaki and the Kanehiro are close enough in performance I seriously doubt, only because of inexperience, you could tell the difference between them.
The Anyru is an excellent all around knife but I personally prefer both the Kurosaki and the Kanehiro over it, others could easily disagree.
The Makoto is an absolute dream to use and is the best bang for the buck out of all of them. This is where I would start out of this bunch.

You can email Mark, he "might" be able to let you know when he expects the Makoto to be back in stock.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

The Makoto is a reactive clad knife. It might be a bit of a bear.

The Anryu or Kurosaki sound perfect. There isn't much more to say about it. They're great knives for most scenarios.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lepus wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm The Makoto is a reactive clad knife. It might be a bit of a bear.

The Anryu or Kurosaki sound perfect. There isn't much more to say about it. They're great knives for most scenarios.
Thanks Lepus, I did forget about the reactive clading, might not be best for a starter knife.
And I agree, either the Kurosaki or Anyru fit fine. Go with what seems to call out to you.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

All good choices - the Makoto I have not found to be overly reactive, just clean & wipe dry. If it calls for you it is an excellent choice and good performer and very easy to get stoopid sharp. You must be very careful. The santoku would work well in a small kitchen, don't hesitate to get it. If you like it and want the gyuto when it re-stocks then get it too. They do sell out fast though.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I do agree with you both, the Makoto would definitely be on the table. Most reactive claddings are managable, they just need to be managed.
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. Im ok with wiping and keeping it dry between uses, any other thing that i should be careful about if i want to wait for the makoto since its white#2? which ive read is more prone to chip than blue or AS steel, and doesnt hold its edge as long as the blue and AS as well, but easier to sharpen. I like the curve below the heel like on the makoto, anryu and kurosaki, it seems very comfortable for pinch grip.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I dont really remember the makoto reacting much. Fantastic knive and tremendous bargain, plus the f&f is phenomenal especially for the price. If i was starting out it would easily be an awesome starting point, especially considering you want to stay within your budget. The anryu feels a little nimbler then the others (i havent used the kurasaki AS), and im a sucker for that oval rosewood handle, love it,. While i havent heard anyone describe tbe anryu as whippy(and im not trying to describe it as that either) imo it has just a hint. I dont mean that its a whippy knive and that its a bad thing. But it borders having laser like thinness. It will not have the stoutness of the makoto or the kanehiro. The kanehiro gives you a little better ease of cutting sensation on alot of things like onions,if i remember correctly especially​ going up and down. The anryu supposed to be better through root veg, and i cant argue that. I didn't use them at the same time, but that would seem to be true. These are all great knives with some interesting similarities, bit still being unique from each other, and of course im excluding the kurasaki.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

The white#2 should have plenty of edge retention for the house imo. It has a much better chance of becoming an issue in a pro environment and should be a real pleasure to learn to sharpen with.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

It's not a given that White #2 will chip any more or less than various Blue steels. Heat treament and several other factors influence chipping of any steel.
White #2 sharpens very easy, gets scary sharp and holds it's edge fine in a home environment. I have a few White #2 knives that have never had a chipping problem.
As long as you give the knife proper care, wiping/rinsing between ingredience, washing and drying thouroughly right after use, you should be just fine. The Kurouchi finish will aid in tempering rust and reactivity too. You will get a feel of how to care for it pretty quickly just be very cautious at first. Over time it also becomes second nature and as a patina developes it gets easier too.
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

If between the kurosaki and makoto, any pros or cons the kurosaki has more than the makoto? And what whetstone do you guys think i should buy if i want to buy the kurosaki or makoto?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Which Kurosaki, AS?
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

gladius wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 am Which Kurosaki, AS?
Yes gladius
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

Between the kurosaki AS and the makoto white#2
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Did you know the guys that make those two knives are brothers?
Yu Kurosaki and Makoto Kurosaki

The only thing you will gain with the Kurosaki is stainless cladding and better edge retention. It will be slightly harder to sharpen and doesn't get quite as sharp. Those things are very marginal though. I would lean to the Makato for performance, again only slightly. There is give and take when comparing most any knives. You will be very satisfied with either.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Steve G. seems to think the Makoto is stainless clad. ref. https://youtu.be/QJTnluJtEcI?t=82

I'd pick the Makoto.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I thought the one I used was stainless clad. It didn't seam very reactive at all and I was used to the Kurosaki so just assumed. I was floored when the owner of the knife told me it was iron clad, I never would have guessed.
Given the cost I would definately go with the Makato. If they were the same price I would probably still go Makato. :mrgreen:
Hienz

Post by Hienz »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 am Did you know the guys that make those two knives are brothers?
Yu Kurosaki and Makoto Kurosaki
Yes i know. Seems im beginning to lean more to makoto now, due to all the positive comments about it, sadly its OOS, ive emailed mark bout it, still need to wait (even thou i doubt he knows when it will restock, LOL). If im not patient, ill get the santoku or the 240mm instead. Any recommendation for whetstones for it guys? Im thinking of KING KDS 1000/6000 grit, since its not that expensive considering its a combo stone, or is there other better option which not that expensive for an amateur like me?
gladius

Post by gladius »

I like the Imanishi Two Sided 1K/6K Stone...

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I for some reason had thought it was reactive clad; maybe the cost? I was mistaken.

I have however used the King and I much prefer the Imanishi, or really most anything else.