BEST CARBON 210 GYUTO UNDER $600

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
snipes

Re: BEST CARBON 210 GYUTO UNDER $600

Post by snipes »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm
jbart65 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 pm If these had been stainless clad, I would have laid in the bush for this one. But I have owned a Fuji already. Look forward to the reviews.
Same here!
+
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Since it seems like useful discussion is petering out, I'm still stuck on the broken blade. If you feel like repair is too deep a hole, which is what most sane people might think, I will happily help ease the cost of replacing your Konosuke in exchange for the blade with the hopes I could repair it myself.

Otherwise, the market is vast. What other high end kitchen knives have you tried? The discussion here with regard to Japanese knives has centered on replacing the Konosuke with something similar, but there are many excellent makers who make knives that while different are also excellent. What about going a different direction, toward a Western maker or different Japanese makers like Watanabe, Toyama, Takeda, Shigefusa, Hinoura, and Heiji? Unlike the Kagekiyo I can assure you they will not be the same or even particularly similar... for you, they might be better.
scopi

Post by scopi »

I am tempted by the MM 180 but at US 300 ? I am laying in wait for the classic Takeda 210 Bunka to come back into stock
and murphy's law says they will arrive the day after i pull the trigger on the MM. Happened to me before, and probably others here.
I don't need it as i already have four 180s, and i know i will use the Takeda a lot.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Lepus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:59 am Since it seems like useful discussion is petering out, I'm still stuck on the broken blade. If you feel like repair is too deep a hole, which is what most sane people might think, I will happily help ease the cost of replacing your Konosuke in exchange for the blade with the hopes I could repair it myself.
I think trying a repair is certainly worth it, at this point, there is nothing to lose. There is an extremely talented welder, old guy military certified, that has a shop near me...think he could do it if anyone can or at least say if it can be done without too much collateral damage regarding blowing the temper.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

ChipB wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:41 pm I have a Kagekiyo B1 270. The F&F is absolutely on par if not ahead of Fujiyamas. The finish and over style of grind is very very similar (suspect they may share the same sharpener, but tough to know for sure) but there are a number of differences as well. The edge profile on the kagekiyo is generally flatter without the characteristic sweep of the of the Fujis. In fact, the pattern execution and edge profile is almost identical to a Mizuno. The kagekiyo is generally a beefier knife than the Fujis but grind placement and execution are very similar in contrast to a Mizuno which starts lower down the blade. The differences in thickness are probably more pronounced on the 270s and would likely be less noticable in 210.
I personally think the kagekiyo edge Fujis in F&F (no easy task) but don't perform quite as well, so really depends what you liked most about your Fuji.
Unfortunately, there really aren't many other knives that deliver the combination of traits found in Fujis, but a Kagekiyo is certainly a very fine knife and wouldn't consider it inferior.
Hi Chip,

I’m new to JKs but I took a look at the Kagekiyo you mentioned. They make it in White #2 too for a much lesser price. I think I’d like to try one, beautiful looking knives. I’m just a Noob playing with different knives, in your opinion is the Blue worth the bucks and if so what would I gain? I see your posts in many threads and like what you add. Many thanks in advance.

Sean
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

nakneker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:51 pm
ChipB wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:41 pm I have a Kagekiyo B1 270. The F&F is absolutely on par if not ahead of Fujiyamas. The finish and over style of grind is very very similar (suspect they may share the same sharpener, but tough to know for sure) but there are a number of differences as well. The edge profile on the kagekiyo is generally flatter without the characteristic sweep of the of the Fujis. In fact, the pattern execution and edge profile is almost identical to a Mizuno. The kagekiyo is generally a beefier knife than the Fujis but grind placement and execution are very similar in contrast to a Mizuno which starts lower down the blade. The differences in thickness are probably more pronounced on the 270s and would likely be less noticable in 210.
I personally think the kagekiyo edge Fujis in F&F (no easy task) but don't perform quite as well, so really depends what you liked most about your Fuji.
Unfortunately, there really aren't many other knives that deliver the combination of traits found in Fujis, but a Kagekiyo is certainly a very fine knife and wouldn't consider it inferior.
Hi Chip,

I’m new to JKs but I took a look at the Kagekiyo you mentioned. They make it in White #2 too for a much lesser price. I think I’d like to try one, beautiful looking knives. I’m just a Noob playing with different knives, in your opinion is the Blue worth the bucks and if so what would I gain? I see your posts in many threads and like what you add. Many thanks in advance.

Sean

Hi Sean, it's hard to know how the W2 would differ from the B2 as there may or may not be shared craftsmen (haven't used the W2 to boot). What I do know is that the kagekiyo line is very well curated and provides an obscene level of F&F. I suspect there are tangible differences b/w the W and B lines, but the price differential is probably driven by input cost as it relates to the core steel and an unrelenting preference from Western buyers, justified or not, for Blue steel. In either metal, you're likely to get a fantastic product.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

ChipB wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pm
nakneker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:51 pm
Hi Chip,

Sean

Hi Sean, it's hard to know how the W2 would differ from the B2 as there may or may not be shared craftsmen (haven't used the W2 to boot). What I do know is that the kagekiyo line is very well curated and provides an obscene level of F&F. I suspect there are tangible differences b/w the W and B lines, but the price differential is probably driven by input cost as it relates to the core steel and an unrelenting preference from Western buyers, justified or not, for Blue steel. In either metal, you're likely to get a fantastic product.
I just hit the order button on a 210 B1 Gyuto Kagekiyo, should be fun. This is my biggest splurge to date, I’m excited to get my hands on it. After you mentioned it I did a lot of research and everyone that has one seems quite pleased.

One of things I’m enjoying about the world JKs is the discovery aspect. It seems endless.

Thanks again for mentioning the knife Chip.
J david

Post by J david »

Jonnymoore90 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm I had a Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 210 for the last few years. Went to look in my knife bag yesterday and found my knife, in almost two pieces, broken where handle starts. Needless to say, I'm in the market for an upgrade, since I cant seem to find the exact knife in stock anywhere. I loved my Konosuke, please tell me what to get!!! Looking at a Kagekiyo blue #1 210 right now. Runs about $500, which I'm willing to pay for the right knife, but I needs to know if I can trust this to be a quality piece, or if there's a better way to spend my money. Thanks...
Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I may be able to help with the broken knife. I have access to a laser welder which can do amazing things. Here is an example of a knife repair on a mono steel hardened to 61+. The heat is extremely localized as evidenced by the welder holding it in his bare hands while performing the repair. Let me know if you want me to look at it.

After I cleaned it up a bit.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I tried to get that ball rolling the day he posted; I think this knife has finished its travels.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Nice repair...don't think you could expect more. Let us know if there are ever any problems or if it comes apart, would not expect that with normal use, but would be good to know for general information.
salemj

Post by salemj »

That repair looks amazing. Wow.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
J david

Post by J david »

Carter wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 am Nice repair...don't think you could expect more. Let us know if there are ever any problems or if it comes apart, would not expect that with normal use, but would be good to know for general information.
This one is not my knife, I had it welded for a maker in Germany. I offered to buy it when he finished it, but have not heard from him regarding this knife for a while.
J david

Post by J david »

salemj wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 am That repair looks amazing. Wow.
Thanks Joe, the welder is very talented. I think with further finishing the weld would be impossible to detect. He even matched the hardness.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

That weld job is amazing. I don’t know knives very well but I do commercial construction and deal with metal projects all the time. Nice work.
Last edited by nakneker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Wow...that repair turned out awesome!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Organized

Post by Organized »

Kenichi Shiraki indeed does the kagekiyos...he admitted it in Instagram.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Organized wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 am Kenichi Shiraki indeed does the kagekiyos...he admitted it in Instagram.
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit! Do you have the link to the Instagram post?
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

^^Interesting, he does the B1s? Based on my experience with the smith, and my experience with the B1 Kagekiyo, I am actually a little surprised. Not mind-blown surprised by wouldn't have been my first guess.
Organized

Post by Organized »

I just checked back on Instagram, I was going to share with you the link. Anyway, Shiraki commented on Jon’s recent post about the Kagekiyo line. He said basically “thank you for carrying my knives”. It appears that Jon deleted the comment. Which isn’t surprising.
Organized

Post by Organized »

Shiraki is on instagram, maybe someone could reach out to him to find which lines/steels he does.
My guess would be the more expensive ones. Not wh2 or vg10.