Looking for another laser

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Bdiddy1019

Looking for another laser

Post by Bdiddy1019 »

So I'm looking for another laser style 270 gyuto. My main work knive is a konosuke Swedish 270. I love it, but want to take some of the pressure off it and pick up another laser with a little more edge retention for prep. The konosuke is great for cutting fish and rolls, but I tend to beat it up on the prep shift. Price is relative to performance and the konosuke sets the performance bar pretty high. I know how to sharpen and don't really care carbon or p.m. (its more about edge retention). I prefer japanese style handles, but performance comes first. Also having an available saya is important? Kohetsu hap40 wa?
MisoSatisfried

Re: Looking for another laser

Post by MisoSatisfried »

My first thoughts were the Kohetsu Hap40 or maybe the Shibata Kashima (although a 250). I haven't used either, so I'll let others chime in with more experience. I do have 3 other knives by Shibata and can say they are just as nice as my Kono HD2 and on par or possibly even a little better in the performance category. As a home user, my volume of prep will never touch yours, but have had zero issues with edge retention with his R2. That Hap40 has a large following with pros though and I'm assuming for good reason!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Bdiddy1019

Post by Bdiddy1019 »

I'm a huge fan of the hap40, I have a 210 gihei gyuto, and love the steel but the geometry doesn't work for what I need. Aogami super is another steel I really like as well as sg2/r2. I will definitely look at your suggestions though. Arigato gozaimasu!!!!
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

Anything shibata, but especially the aogami super gyuto, has been receiving some acclaim as a great laser-like knife. See it here.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koasgy24.html

It would mainly some down to steel and profile preference, but any of Shibatas knives should perform pretty well.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have been really impressed with Shibata, they take laser to the extreme. 1.7-1.8mm. They work with some great steel and certainly get the most out of it.
gladius

Post by gladius »

The Kohetsu HAP40 270mm would be a good choice, I have the 240 gyuto and it holds an edge far better than most every other knife I own.

Another to consider is a Kamo R2 gyuto 270mm <=. They are not currently available on CKTG but they can be had. Shiro Kamo makes excellent knives. I have several in Aogami Super that are killer. AS holds a great edge but R2 holds it even longer.
Last edited by gladius on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdiddy1019

Post by Bdiddy1019 »

One thing though. I really need a 270 on the length, breaking down a loin of tuna I need that long a draw stroke to block itf out cleanly. The only shibata in stock right now is a 240.
gladius

Post by gladius »

The Kohetsu HAP40 <= and the Kamo R2 <= are both 270mm.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Go for the Kamo R2 you won't regret it
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Would you consider a tall 270mm sujihiki? I would definitely look at a Takeda, perhaps favoring it over everything else. They are unusually as tall at the heel, more like a short heeled gyuto. My Takeda is one of few knives that competes aggressively with my Konosuke lasers as a cutter. With regard to food release and separation, the Takeda is head and shoulders ahead. There is a 270mm Shibata Kohetsu in R2 with a 35mm heel, too, which is enough height for some cooks to comfortably use the knife as a gyuto.

I think the Kamo is a good choice. The Kohetsu is ground a little thicker toward the edge than you might lile, particularly coming from a Konosuke, though it would be capable. Despite the Kamo having the wider spine I think it feels much more laser-y than the Kohetsu.

I think a Shibata Kashima is a very, very good choice. First, with regard to length, the Kashima and Shibata AS are oversized 240mms while the Konosuke is an undersized 270mm. You aren't going to lose 3cm, you're going to lose 1.5cm at most. Whether that is enough to disqualify the knife is up to you, but I think the other attributes still make the knives competitive. My Kashima it is a great slicer because of a needle-like tip and lower height. I have used the Kamo 240mm and as much as I like it, the Shibata is a better slicer. I see no reason to expect the 270mm Kamo would change that considering its height.

With regard to the Kashima vs the AS I don't know how the two compare directly, but of the two the Kashima is measured thinner at the spine if you love that thin laser feeling and its edge retention is better than any aogami super I have used.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

+1 kashima
Bdiddy1019

Post by Bdiddy1019 »

I will definitely look at the takeda, I left a sujihiki/gyuto combo in favor of a single blade years ago, but the length was what I was accustomed to with the sujihiki. The gyuto was always a do-it-all go to. Being left handed, trying to find anyone to take chips out or correct profile on a left handed knife is to say the least challenging hence the double beveled knives.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If it's main use will be prep I'd go with the Kamo and then you have your Konosuke for cutting fish, rolls and other slicing and lighter work.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.