Replacing Harukaze AS Wa gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cgibsong002

Replacing Harukaze AS Wa gyuto

Post by cgibsong002 »

Recently had all my gear stolen and first step is replacing my harukaze. I loved the knife so am possibly going to repurchase or possibly upgrade if worth it. Definitely want something similar.. wa handle, 210mm gyuto.

I'm a home cook who cooks maybe twice per week. I'm vegetarian and will use a separate knife for hard vegetables so prefer something probably as light and thin as possible. I'd prefer something clad and am a slice cutter though I'd like to be able to push cut on certain foods like mushrooms and cucumbers.

I've gotten quite good at sharpening but don't have time for it often so the better the edge retention the better. My max budget would be $200.
old onion

Re: Replacing Harukaze AS Wa gyuto

Post by old onion »

I am suggesting this one because it answers my call to such things,bad thing is,I see it is now out of stock,at least for now,but it is light,sharp and will stay that way for a long time.Maybe get on Mark's E-mailing list.The 240 mm would be a good contender for the 210 though if you did decide to go that route.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka9.html
cgibsong002

Post by cgibsong002 »

Thanks. I actually went with the Kohetsu 210 hap40 on marks suggestion. It was the knife that caught my eye the most already anyway. Curious to see how it compares to the Harukaze.
old onion

Post by old onion »

cgibsong002 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm Thanks. I actually went with the Kohetsu 210 hap40 on marks suggestion. It was the knife that caught my eye the most already anyway. Curious to see how it compares to the Harukaze.
You are quite welcome.Enjoy,that's what it is all about.