Advice on the richmond artifex 2 or other knives

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
faldor20

Advice on the richmond artifex 2 or other knives

Post by faldor20 »

1)Pro or home cook? home cook

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want? 210 or larger if someone makes a good argument

4)How much do you want to spend? no mar than 80 usd(au dollar is a bit crap)

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? not all reactive carbon... i really cant be bothered or afford

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? not a clue

7)What are your main knife/knives now? some random knife from a set and a bunch of kiwis

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Among pros? fair,i think, i don't have much to compare myself to. i can chop stuff reasonably fast and not hurt myself

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? honestly i'v not been regularly cooking for long enough to decide i think push or pull with some rocking..probably not a lot of chopping

10)Do you know how to sharpen? not amazingly but i have stones and time to get better

Hey so im looking at getting my first chef knife, i really like cooking and knives so it seems like a good investment.
I dont want anything too expensive but if someone makes a compelling argument why i should spend more then i could be swayed.
I am rather interested in bd1n steel, it seems like its good stuff and im just generally interested in the experiment of trying it for myself. This led me wards the Richmond artifex 2 iv seen a bunch of recommendations for the original Richmond artifex but very little information on the new one. so if anyone has experience with this knife or even just opinions on the geometry, handle, value...etc. that would be appreciated.
Bensbites

Re: Advice on the richmond artifex 2 or other knives

Post by Bensbites »

The artifex 210 in 52100 , (GEN1) was one of my first knives. It is not the thinnest behind the edge and the balance point is behind the pinch. It was a solid value!

I was floored when I picked up a tojiro itk nakiri on impulse, I feel like that is when jknives clicked with me, thin blade, forward balance point, it was love at first cut.

I am sure the artifex II is a good all around knife with some excellent properties, bulletproof handle and decent profile.
faldor20

Post by faldor20 »

Bensbites wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 am I was floored when I picked up a tojiro itk nakiri on impulse, I feel like that is when jknives clicked with me, thin blade, forward balance point, it was love at first cut.
hmm that seems like a rather short knife to me 165cm is pretty tiny. i image your not much into rock chopping, if your using a blade that square. How do you find the length and cleaver like shape?
As someone who still isn't really sure about what sort of chopping style i'm going to end up using im not sure if a knife that limits that will be good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

faldor20 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 am
Bensbites wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 am I was floored when I picked up a tojiro itk nakiri on impulse, I feel like that is when jknives clicked with me, thin blade, forward balance point, it was love at first cut.
hmm that seems like a rather short knife to me 165cm is pretty tiny. i image your not much into rock chopping, if your using a blade that square. How do you find the length and cleaver like shape?
As someone who still isn't really sure about what sort of chopping style i'm going to end up using im not sure if a knife that limits that will be good.

Yes, you are right. I have never been much of a rocker. I like a thin tip and a large flat section. I have a think for bunkas and cleavers now, although I am seriously considering a non laser thin behind the 240.