Kikuichi damascus santoku

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cwillett

Kikuichi damascus santoku

Post by cwillett »

At some point this spring I'm going to add a midlength knife to the stable to bridge the gap between a nakiri and a 240mm gyuto. And to try something new. And because knives are fun. I got some feedback a while ago and used it to expand my search a bit. One of the knives that has gotten my attention under a new set of parameters is

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwada.html

Being a shallow person, I noticed it first for its looks; the thinness of the blade is attractive as I don't have anything resembling a laser. There isn't a lot of feedback about the knife in particular or the brand in general. I found some comments in old threads, but they were mostly general comments about gyutos. Does anyone have any feedback about the knife in particular or others in the line? Or the steel? I was a bit surprised to see how thin the blade is given that the HRC is a conservative 60. The length is right about what I'm looking for, but it is hard to get a sense of the profile from the photos.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Kikuichi damascus santoku

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'll take a profile shot for you and post it on the site in a few minutes. I've used and sharpened these before. They're nice, thin and light. They sharpen easily but don't hold an edge like some of the harder steel knives we sell. Nice handles too. Reminds me of the Konosuke Swedish Steel line except they're damascus.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I have the 240 gyuto in this line, it was my first JK and I think it's a helluva knife. It's beautiful, great F&F and performs very well. Unfortunately for some reason it doesn't get the love that it deserves on the forum, but in every review I've read they are universally praised. I also have the Konosuke Swedish that Mark refers to above and the Kikuichi performs every bit as well as the Kono, but it's thinner without feeling flexy or fragile.

It sharpens easily for sure and from my perspective as a home cook, it holds its edge respectably well.

Just my 2c worth
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

For damascus bling at the price point, I can't think of anything else that is in-stock that could match your suggested in F&F. Handled this series before and they really are quite nicely done. Not having anything else to go on, if you can wait a bit and spend a bit more money, to achieve maximum G-Wagon w/Louis-Vuitton interior, I'd take a look at the these:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sarasa16.html

Now, if you enjoy thin knives, want a 180mm gyuto/santoku that is an apex performer, has flawless F&F, is hand forged and finished, has an insanely flat edge profile, great steel and it's aesthetic appeal is evinced through quality of craftsmanship, then this is the knife I'd buy:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kommbl2gy18.html

Again, know nothing about your proclivities, just offering up two distinct flavors for alternate consideration.
rootbeersoup

Post by rootbeersoup »

This is a nitpick, but I hate when the handle is flush with the choil. I find it uncomfortable to wrap my fingers underneath it using a pinch grip.