Looking for one 240 ktip to rule them all

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Radar53

Re: Looking for one 240 ktip to rule them all

Post by Radar53 »

"I came across this while looking and this seems to hit all the heartstrings except being stainless clad ... " The Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura certainly has the bling factor that you have talked about but at a price. Also a couple of the heartstrings that you talked about were length @ 240mm (vs 232), height at the heel 58mm preferred (vs 46) and lasers (rightly or wrongly) seem to have featured in many posts with this being 3.2mm thick at the heel. None of this is to say that it's not a great knife.

If I had to choose one knife between my Shibata Kashima & my Takeda Classic, I think I'd end up keeping the Kashima and if I had to choose between the Shibata Kotetsu and the all stainless Takeda, again I think that the Shibata would edge it for me. This is just what would spin my wheels and you should do what works for you rather than anyone else.

As others have said maybe consider Benbites or one of the other custom handle guys to conjure something up to add the bling factor. It's a pretty easy & cost effective way to add to the looks. Good luck with you choice & lets know how you get on.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think the laser thing just became an assumption only because the more popular K-tips just happen to be lasers. It wasn't a specific request.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Lepus wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:32 pm
Barashka wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 pm Does Takeda titillate all the right places? I wonder what about Takedas makes them so.
... Sakai wide bevels are not lasers and do not cut like lasers, which the Takeda to a modest degree does. If the Syousin is ringing some bells you might want to look back at your criteria and consider what you want out of this knife....
Syousin is definitely is a more workhorse type knife and not quite what I was looking for. I just really like the look. Though .. I do have things to think about, having a KS do I really need more performance oriented gyuto? or should I just go for something more fun like people are suggesting.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Radar53 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm Good luck with you choice & lets know how you get on.
Thank you for the piece of mind.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

The KS is a compact solution to just about any knife need, so no, I dont think you need another knife for its performance. You've moved up Maslow's Heirarchy of Cutlery Needs. The KS may have been overkill if that is the goal; those Kramers are quite nice. My broader, more existential suggestion to you at this point is to play around with different styles, shapes, formats, etc. squidzilla's recent omnibus favorite/next knife thread dances around this and is great reading. It is not easy to make a great knife, but there are many ways to do so and those great knives can all be great in different ways. Playing with different styles and materials, seeing what you do and don't like, cycling through your collection, that is what keeps many of us in the game.

I tried to tell myself for a long time that I was buying knives just to make cooking better or to suit my uses. To some degree that is true, but I also just like knives.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lepus wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm...I tried to tell myself for a long time that I was buying knives just to make cooking better or to suit my uses. To some degree that is true, but I also just like knives.
I used to say the same thing Rob, but once you hit 2 dozen+ knives it becomes obvious you're not buying out of necessity anymore. ;) :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 pmI used to say the same thing Rob, but once you hit 2 dozen+ knives it becomes obvious you're not buying out of necessity anymore. ;) :D
You're in no small part responsible for my own addiction, Jeff, and for that I thank you.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Lepus wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm ... The KS may have been overkill if that is the goal; those Kramers are quite nice. My broader, more existential suggestion to you at this point is to play around with different styles, shapes, formats, etc. squidzilla's recent omnibus favorite/next knife thread dances around this and is great reading. ...
Agreed, KS is more perf then I'll ever need.
I should drop the laser request then, I think I'm more interested in super flat profile and reverse false edge esthetics then laser.
I've been reading the fav/next knife thread and posted Shibata as my near future knife : P
I'll keep searching then.
erbw02

Post by erbw02 »

I got a 240 k-tip w2 honyaki gyuto from Oatley. It has a lot of the characteristics your looking for. It has a very flat profile, 62 HRC, it's definitely a laser (thinner than for example my Kono HD2) and it has got the height your looking for (~60 mm). It also has an awesome S-grind. It does have some flex in the tip area which might not be what your looking for and it's of course a custom so not readily available, but it ticked so many of your boxes I thought I mention it anyway :-)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lepus wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:32 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 pmI used to say the same thing Rob, but once you hit 2 dozen+ knives it becomes obvious you're not buying out of necessity anymore. ;) :D
You're in no small part responsible for my own addiction, Jeff, and for that I thank you.
Glad I was able to help in corrupting you as others did me in the past. ;)
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

erbw02 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:03 am I got a 240 k-tip w2 honyaki gyuto from Oatley. It has a lot of the characteristics your looking for. It has a very flat profile, 62 HRC, it's definitely a laser (thinner than for example my Kono HD2) and it has got the height your looking for (~60 mm). It also has an awesome S-grind. It does have some flex in the tip area which might not be what your looking for and it's of course a custom so not readily available, but it ticked so many of your boxes I thought I mention it anyway :-)
A custom knife is definitely on my wishlist, but for now most are out of my range. I'll keep that blacksmith in mind for future though.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Did you see this in the new arrivals section?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kogsnaki21.html
Eutectic

Post by Eutectic »

I picked up a Gesshin Kagekiyo on Japanese Knife Imports, it's been a fantastic knife and the fit and finish are just amazing. I got the 270 in w2.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Eutectic wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:33 pm I picked up a Gesshin Kagekiyo on Japanese Knife Imports, it's been a fantastic knife and the fit and finish are just amazing. I got the 270 in w2.
Thank you very much! That's pretty much what I was looking for though they are carbon clad, I was hoping to find stainless clad, but it looks like that just doesn't exist.
How tall is yours at the heel?
How do you like the grind? It seems pretty hefty and authoritarian ...
slobound

Post by slobound »

Barashka wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 pm
Eutectic wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:33 pm I picked up a Gesshin Kagekiyo on Japanese Knife Imports, it's been a fantastic knife and the fit and finish are just amazing. I got the 270 in w2.
Thank you very much! That's pretty much what I was looking for though they are carbon clad, I was hoping to find stainless clad, but it looks like that just doesn't exist.
Barashka, not sure if you saw my pic but I posted my Kotetsu in the new knife thread with the “bling” handle. I think it definitely changes up the eye candy level from the stock handle.
-- Garrick
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

slobound wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 pm
Barashka wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 pm
Barashka, not sure if you saw my pic but I posted my Kotetsu in the new knife thread with the “bling” handle. I think it definitely changes up the eye candy level from the stock handle.
Handle from stabalized burl of some kind? I've seen it, it looks great! It does change up the eye candy level, I've paused for a bit to consider what's more important to me in that knife as it seems there are plenty of choices for me in reactive cladding vs just getting Kotetsu and spicing it up a little.