Looking for perfect set

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Slipweav2k

Looking for perfect set

Post by Slipweav2k »

1)Pro or home cook? Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? 240mm gyuto with matching TALL nakiri

3) What size knife do you want? 240mm gyuto- 165/175 tall nakiri

4)How much do you want to spend? No more than 300$ per.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Stainless clad over carbon.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Wide variance.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Excellent

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? All of the above, whichever is best for certain ingredient.

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes, will also like assistance in picking perfect stones for set.
༒ৡึ√៛Ꭾ☣ฬ६ค℧2҉Ӄ༒
CacahuateSommelier

Re: Looking for perfect set

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

“Perfect” set is the set that solves/addresses whatever problem in the tasks you are trying to complete... more info is needed in order to pick the “perfect” knives for YOU.... as “perfect” will vary widely from person to person
CacahuateSommelier

This is a solid set that should serve a wide range of uses....& the 240 is on sale for a excellent price

Masakage Yuki 240
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html
Masakage Yuki 165
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayuna16.html

But being that the Yuki Nakiri is OOS try it’s cousin

Masakage Shimo 165
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashna16.html
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

If I was looking get a set and wanted a tall nakiri, id look into Moritaka.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Are you sure you want both from the same maker?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I do not recommend sets and thus I won't. But it should be easy for you to narrow it down since there are only a few truly tall nakiris available on CKTG.
Jeffry B
CacahuateSommelier

jbart65 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm I do not recommend sets and thus I won't. But it should be easy for you to narrow it down since there are only a few truly tall nakiris available on CKTG.
My sentiment as well.... “the perfect set” is a mix & match of your favorites
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm
jbart65 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm I do not recommend sets and thus I won't. But it should be easy for you to narrow it down since there are only a few truly tall nakiris available on CKTG.
My sentiment as well.... “the perfect set” is a mix & match of your favorites
Gotta +2 this one. A good/decent set can come from one maker but “the perfect set” andoubtly requires some mix & match.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I think if it has to be a set I would want Moritaka too. The tall nakiri/small cleaver trend is fairly new, so there will be some shifts in the profile and style as time passes, but right now your options are limited. It seems like a lot of tall nakiris come from makers who already make similar gyutos. From what I have used I think the Matsubara gyuto would feel a lot like the nakiri with a tip tacked on and instead of working in tandem you would just prefer one. I have always had the impression Moritaka's large nakiris draw as much from their experience with full sized cleavers as their gyutos, which are not cleaver like at all.

Alternately, I think you're looking at a Takeda Sasanoha and a Takeda Nakiri. They're out of budget and people either love them or hate them, so I definitely would not suggest you buy two unless you have tried them. The Yuki would be okay, too, but again, I think you would just start to favor one over the other because they would proove fairly similar.

In your shoes I would get a perfect gyuto or honest-to-god full sized cleaver. A $600 budget gives you your pick of the litter. Koishi, Takeda, Mazaki, Mizuno, Takayuki, even maybe a Gihei or Konosuke HD if that's your style. Nakiris are toys. Fun toys, great for testing a smith's work at a discount, toys you can use for work, but fundamentally less capable than a gyuto. If I had a gyuto and nakiri from the same maker I can't say I would often use the nakiri because the gyuto is going to do everything the nakiri does and more. To me they are not complimentary in a set. If I wanted a set that opened up my options I would add a petty instead or juxtapose a gyuto against a nakiri with an entirely different feel, like a Gihei blue #2 nakiri and a Shibata AS or Kashima gyuto.

If you want these knives for some element of show or are also prioritizing home use in some ways, which I completely understand, I might answer differently.
Dmiller

Post by Dmiller »

Would you be able to provide some more info on the knives you use now and what you like/dislike about them?

That would be helpful for getting an idea of your preferences
Slipweav2k

Post by Slipweav2k »

Thank you for all the valuable information!
༒ৡึ√៛Ꭾ☣ฬ६ค℧2҉Ӄ༒
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I think for a set I'd go Watanabe

180mm KU Kiri
240 Gyuto
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Nakiris seem to be hot or cold for most people. I like them and have played with a half dozen of them. I own the Matsubara tall Nakiri and my Takeda Nakiri is on the large size too. The Matsubura has loads of personality and does a good job but the Takeda just flys through ingredients. Between the two I don’t think there is a wrong choice. Gyutos are such a personal preference knife. If your rocker your gonna want more belly than the guy who’s a chopper, that kind of thing. Out of my Gyutos I like the Makatos for under 200.00, the AS has much more belly than the White #2. There’s a reason why the white #2 is out of stock, it’s a lot of knife for the money. My favorite Gyuto is a 240 Kagekiyo but’s its more $$. Mark is a good source for recommendations too, what’s nice about him is he try’s to steer you to the most bang for the buck, thats a refreshing approach from an owner.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Quantim0

Post by Quantim0 »

My two favorite knives are my Shibata AS 240mm gyuto and Takeda stainless nakiri. If you told me I could have only two knives it would be those. Even though they overlap I cook a lot of vegetables at home and typically will reach for the Takeda first.