New for a newb

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
bigredtn

New for a newb

Post by bigredtn »

This is my first time getting a nice knife. I have collected and maintained straight razors for a while and want to make the jump into chef knives and get a good knife that will help me enjoy cooking more often. What knife would you recommend for a new person? It will be a general purpose knife, I.E. vegetables, tomatoes, and protein. Thanks in advance!!
Jeff B

Re: New for a newb

Post by Jeff B »

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

You are in a good position to own and use a more exotic knife than the usual first time buyer. If you are comfortable with sharpening and carbon steel, you have quite a few options. You do need at least a general budget. It is typically a good idea to buy a long 210mm to full sized 240mm gyuto as your all purpose knife, but if you are limited by space other lengths or profiles could be good options. Any other personal preferences would also be worth sharing, particularly if there is anything you do or don't like about other knives you have used.

I'd suggest you look at the Harukaze Aogami Super 240mm, Tanaka Damascus 210mm and 240mm, Goko 210mm, and Konosuke MM 240mm. I'm not suggesting you buy those, but they will give you some knives you could reflect on.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

If i had it to do over, my first knife here would be a wa-handled 210 gyuto with a KU finish. There are several to choose from, but there is a konosuke in particular that goes for $190 and its my favorite. There is a Tanaka for about $140 as well.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Rufus Leaking wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:19 pm If i had it to do over, my first knife here would be a wa-handled 210 gyuto with a KU finish. There are several to choose from, but there is a konosuke in particular that goes for $190 and its my favorite. There is a Tanaka for about $140 as well.
I would follow this up by saying makoto!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Bensbites wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:54 pm
Rufus Leaking wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:19 pm If i had it to do over, my first knife here would be a wa-handled 210 gyuto with a KU finish. There are several to choose from, but there is a konosuke in particular that goes for $190 and its my favorite. There is a Tanaka for about $140 as well.
I would follow this up by saying makoto!
Right, loads of knife for the money. Easy steel to sharpen, attractive finish, all round profile and much more. Could do a lot worse for sure. Wish it would have been around when I got started! Though I got a Yuki, which was a lot of knife for a first.