Yahiko Shirogami #2 bunka

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
DanielB

Yahiko Shirogami #2 bunka

Post by DanielB »

Does anyone here have any experience with the Yahiko Shirogami #2 bunka? I noticed it by accident and was really drawn to its blade height (around 55-56 mm). I get from Steve's video that it's not a rocker to be sure (which is fine with me). Can anyone comment on its performance? Good for all manner of produce, herbs to butternut squash, or more of a specialty knife?
jbart65

Re: Yahiko Shirogami #2 bunka

Post by jbart65 »

It's not going to rock well given its shape, but it looks similar to other bunkas. It should push and chop quite well and has a nice tip.

I own a gyuto from the same maker. Excellent heat treat, keen edge, sharpens easily. I've been tempted by this one too.
Jeffry B
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

That is a gorgeous knife. I have the Shibata Bunka, which is also tall and I really enjoy the shape. Great feel and great control. I'll be getting one of the Yahiko's here soon just to try out. Good luck and thanks for the heads-up.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I have the yahiko hakata, easily one of my new favorites.
Performance is quite good with a really nice tip and quite thin behind the edge.. I would be hesitant to do much butternut squash (or the like) with it, but maybe because I'm still in the phase where I'm babying it.

What kind of work / produce are you considering it for.?
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

I'm just a home cook, and it would be used mostly for produce (regular range of stuff). I like taller knives but also not so long in a smaller kitchen. I have a couple great gyutos and a very nice santoku, but this struck me as giving almost cleaver height without too much length (though more than most, at 187 mm). Seems like it could be a great all around knife, but I was curious if anyone played around with it yet.
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

The other thing too is I've never had a white #2 knife and I'm kinda interested in trying it out. Get screaming sharp is my impression.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I feel like I can get almost any knife screaming sharp. It’s more a question of how easily it sharpens and how long it keeps the edge.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

STPepper9 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 am I feel like I can get almost any knife screaming sharp. It’s more a question of how easily it sharpens and how long it keeps the edge.
+1
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

Indeed. I was thinking of the ease with which white #2 sharpens, but yeah, it's not a problem with most good steels.