Best Value Gyuto on the site.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
marcel2006

Re: Best Value Gyuto on the site.

Post by marcel2006 »

Thanks guys for the heads up.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

In the western category this is a contender for sure: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachgy21.html

For a wa handle I find it hard to beat this knife in it’s price range: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy24.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm In the western category this is a contender for sure: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachgy21.html

For a wa handle I find it hard to beat this knife in it’s price range: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy24.html
I'd love to see your top 10 best buy gyutos. Not just based on price, ofc. For whatever criteria you deem relevant. Like Mark's top picks. :)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm In the western category this is a contender for sure: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachgy21.html

Gotta say Makoto sure did storm onto the scene. I wonder if he realizes how good a knife he makes!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

Have you guys had any micro chips on your makoto w#2 knives. Mine has a few, but since I got my end grain cutting board I haven't seen new micro chips on the knife so far.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

marcel2006 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:40 pm Have you guys had any micro chips on your makoto w#2 knives. Mine has a few, but since I got my end grain cutting board I haven't seen new micro chips on the knife so far.
Was the chips in the factory edge? It's not unusual for a factory edge to have some fatigued metal and micro chip. A full progression usually stops this. My Makoto has been fine but I touched it up out of the box.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

marcel2006 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:40 pm Have you guys had any micro chips on your makoto w#2 knives. Mine has a few, but since I got my end grain cutting board I haven't seen new micro chips on the knife so far.
No chips here. As Jeff says above, most factory edges are chippy due to shaping and very very thin steel. Once that very thin edge is removed you hit the quality steel.
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

Thanks for the response. The true is I don't know if it came like that, didn't pay close attention to the edge when I received it. I only retouch the edge with the snow white few weeks back. I will do a full progression like Jeff said. Thanks guys.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

marcel2006 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm Thanks for the response. The true is I don't know if it came like that, didn't pay close attention to the edge when I received it. I only retouch the edge with the snow white few weeks back. I will do a full progression like Jeff said. Thanks guys.
It's not that the factory edge comes chipped, it just chips very easily sometimes when you first use it before it gets sharpened.
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm
marcel2006 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm Thanks for the response. The true is I don't know if it came like that, didn't pay close attention to the edge when I received it. I only retouch the edge with the snow white few weeks back. I will do a full progression like Jeff said. Thanks guys.
It's not that the factory edge comes chipped, it just chips very easily sometimes when you first use it before it gets sharpened.
Didn't know that. Do you always sharpen your new knife full progression when you receive it?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

marcel2006 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:31 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm
Didn't know that. Do you always sharpen your new knife full progression when you receive it?
Sometimes a full progression but I have just taken them to just a 1k - 5k. I will sometimes use the knife a time or two on some easy tasks and then sharpen but I don't wait for it to get dull. So I guess the answer is sometimes maybe. :D
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 pm
marcel2006 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:31 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm It's not that the factory edge comes chipped, it just chips very easily sometimes when you first use it before it gets sharpened.
Sometimes a full progression but I have just taken them to just a 1k - 5k. I will sometimes use the knife a time or two on some easy tasks and then sharpen but I don't wait for it to get dull. So I guess the answer is sometimes maybe. :D
I was waiting for the knife to get dull, but man these Japanese knives takes forever to get dull and I like to sharp my knives. Thats why I keep my 10 bucks knives that my wife uses or abuses all the time so I can practice more.
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

I feel pretty lucky to have grabbed the 210 Makoto when I did.
Synik

Post by Synik »

How does the Makoto compare to the Konosuke HD2?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Synik wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 am How does the Makoto compare to the Konosuke HD2?
Best answer...it can hang! ;)
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Kohetsu stuff for me.
GuyDebord

Post by GuyDebord »

Another vote for the Makoto. I have the 240mm Gyuto and I cannot believe how well it performs and how good it looks for the price, you would need to spend considerably more to upgrade it. My only regret was not ordering a custom handle with it.... I use a Takeda Nakiri 80% of the time but every time I reach out for the Makoto I get so much joy! My other gyutos (many more expensive) are gathering dust.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kanehide ps60