Western Gift Knife Under $230

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Drewski

Western Gift Knife Under $230

Post by Drewski »

My best friend's wife wants to get him a real knife as a gift. I told her I would help her out, which is what brings me here.

She wants to get him a western handle. I'm not decided between 210 and 240. Maybe a 240 (he's 6'6") but they don't have very good knife skills so maybe a 210 would be better? I learned on a 210 but pretty much only use a 240 or 270 now.

Price max is $230 ($300 CAD). Something stainless or semistainless. In all reality, this might be a one and done type purchase for this family. I know the people on this forum, including myself, can't understand only having 1 good knife, but I don't think this purchase will start a downward spiral into a rabbithole for them. He also does not know how to sharpen, I will likely lend him a ceramic honing rod for basic maintenance (I know, not as ideal as stropping).

Here's a list of what I could find for knives that fit the price, material and handle criteria. I know there's quite a spread between some of these knives. I'm not looking to buy 2 knives. I'm not looking to spend the $ on a knife and sharpening supplies. I just want to get the best blade from the options (could be some I've missed as well). I am leaning towards the Kohetsu because I love my wa 240 and it's also at the edge of the budget. I've bought the Kanehide as a gift previously and the giftee was very pleased. And I still use my Mac pro.

Fujiwara fkh
Kohetsu HAP40
Kanehide ps60
Harukaze srs15
Misono ux10 or Swedish or 440
Takamura r2 or nashiji or chromax
Yaxell dragon
Torijo pro r2 or dp
Minamoto Damascus
Mac pro

I know this has some overlap with other topics (including the current best value topic) but I felt my requirement was specific enough to start a new one.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated. Would love to hear from people with actual experience with any of these blades though. And also if you think a 210 or 240 is the way to go for a noob but something that will be potentially the only knife they use for years. Thanks so much!
Jeff B

Re: Western Gift Knife Under $230

Post by Jeff B »

In a 240 I like the Harukaze SRS15. If you go 210 I'd look hard at the Yahiko R-2. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yar2stgy21.html

I would talk to his wife about a prefered size. What size knife does he use now? Who all will be using this knife? He may adjust to a 240 quickly but if there are others that will be using the knife that may factor in.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

210mm for sure for someone with emerging knife skills. I've got pretty good knife skills and still find comfort in using a 210mm over a 240mm.

I very much like the new Takamura Chromax 210mm. It is a thin knife and very hard, which might be problematic. Or not. It comes with an exceptional edge to it. I got mine about a week ago and am very impressed by it. It is destined as a gift for my mothers-in-law but I would totally keep it if it were not for the western handle (well done, but not to my taste). The knife is a looker for sure and makes precision cuts easy.

For $125 USD, you have some wiggle room. Get a CKTG strop kit and you've got maintenance covered for them as well:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

cwillett wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 am 210mm for sure for someone with emerging knife skills. I've got pretty good knife skills and still find comfort in using a 210mm over a 240mm.

I very much like the new Takamura Chromax 210mm. It is a thin knife and very hard, which might be problematic. Or not. It comes with an exceptional edge to it. I got mine about a week ago and am very impressed by it. It is destined as a gift for my mothers-in-law but I would totally keep it if it were not for the western handle (well done, but not to my taste). The knife is a looker for sure and makes precision cuts easy.

For $125 USD, you have some wiggle room. Get a CKTG strop kit and you've got maintenance covered for them as well:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html
For someone learning knife skills an HRC @ 65 will be very prone to microchipping.

I'd go with a MAC of sorts as a first knife.
Lower HRC more forgiving and if they want to learn to sharpen they do it well.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/macprmichkn8.html

Is where'd I'd look for beginners if not a Torjiro.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

Nmiller21k wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:09 am
For someone learning knife skills an HRC @ 65 will be very prone to microchipping.

I'd go with a MAC of sorts as a first knife.
Lower HRC more forgiving and if they want to learn to sharpen they do it well.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/macprmichkn8.html

Is where'd I'd look for beginners if not a Torjiro.
Agreed that it might be a problem. But if it is a one and done I'd rather be done with the Takamura and fix it from time to time.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful! Would the forum special ss konos be applicable to a beginner? No idea what the hrc was on those.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Drewski wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 am Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful! Would the forum special ss konos be applicable to a beginner? No idea what the hrc was on those.
Yes, they should be a fantastic.
They're not super high, but they sharpen well.
Fantastic fit and finish, good steel and nice heat treatment.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Drewski wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 am Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful! Would the forum special ss konos be applicable to a beginner? No idea what the hrc was on those.
Definitely a great beginner knife. Couple of reasons, one is it comes already with a great edge to give someone an idea of a great edge. Two, imo when alot of people get into jks the cutting experience they imagine is actually a laser. They want that effortless whispy style of cut that not all jks(even though they can be phenomenal knives/cutters) are. Another reason, is these westerns give a little more substantial and sturdy feel to a laser, which personally I think is something timeless that you may never grow out of. Also I'm from the philosophy that if you are going to have multiple gyutos, why not have at least one laser, even though some people would disagree. Another is the steel isn't extremely hard so it will (should) have some forgiveness and not be to demanding. I will iterate that the western style also gives it more of a workhorse feel, which can make it feel or seem more of an all around workhorse, even though you could rock the wa version basically just the same. But that heft comes in handy on things like cabbage. I put that 270 to some cabbage the day I got it and it was impressive. One of the best cabbage knives I've come across.
Cahudson42

Post by Cahudson42 »

Is there any way you can let him try a 270 beforehand? Maybe one of yours?

For someone with 'emerging' knife skills, he might be much more comfortable with a 210 or at most a 240..

In my view, the Kanehide PS60 210 you previously gifted is still a top contender. Nice fit and finish. A bit of robustness. Acceptable if not great edge retention.

If he is not much into looks and finish, and is a 'pure function' type, I might actually think about the new $75 Artifex II. I'm looking at this and my PS60 210 right now. The II is definitely more of a workhorse/thicker blade, and with a bit more belly than the PS60. No laser. But it is HRC63 and should have excellent edge retention and durability. The spine and choil could use some sandpaper - the PS60 is smooth and comfortable. But all and all, I don't see why it couldn't be considered a good beginner knife..(Other opinions?)

Oops! I see the 210 PS60 just went oos. The PS60 240 and the TK Kanehide 210 at HRC61 are still around (if he can live with semi-stainless)...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

For a home user with questionable skills a 270mm gyuto is too much. If more 210s show up then it would be a good choice.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Jeff B wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:02 pm
For a home user with questionable skills a 270mm gyuto is too much. If more 210s show up then it would be a good choice.
There was a 210 earlier, it might still be there. I agree with the others that 270 might be a little much for a beginner home user. They r nimble so it's not like it would be unwieldy necessarily, but it would most likely be overkill at least 90 percent of the time. And doing things like ultra fine bruniose garlic and shallots, might be uncomfortable tip work for a newer user. A 210 or 240 would be a better fit. I wasn't thinking about the 270 aspect in my original answer.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Mark got some 210s with the 270s and the sujis, but they sold out pretty fast. I thought he was getting a few more 210s but given that he removed the product page I'm probably wrong and thinking of something else.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

A 270mm knife is way too much for someone with emerging knife skills. I think a 240mm is too much also. A 210mm should be fine. A 180mm would work also.

A thin hard knife isn't a bad thing to learn on. Keep the knife up and down. Don't apply lateral pressure. Stay away from winter squash. Don't cut frozen meat or bones. You'll get a big performance bonus. But you'll also get bonus chips or lose a tip is you are not careful.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Good news, just picked up the forum special kono ss 210 in the classifieds! All this praise for the knife will make it difficult to pass along as a gift, but I know it will be appreciated. Thanks again for all your help!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Very good buy, you won't be disappointed! You might be back looking for something different after you keep that one for yourself! ;) :D