What is your favorite knife?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Thin Man

Re: What is your favorite knife?

Post by Thin Man »

enjay wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 pm
mauichef wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:59 pm I can no more answer this question than a "what's your favorite album" question.
For me it's Impossible to do as it is so time and circumstance dependent.
That's easy, it's In Rainbows by Radiohead or Deliverance by Opeth or Funeral by Arcade Fire or Bringing It All Back Home or The River or Crooked Rain or...

"Time and circumstance" indeed.

Sorry, back to regular scheduled programming, Internet Knife Talk.
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie.

See? That was easy.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm I am guessing, Jeff, that if I got 10 versions of a Tanaka Sekiso, one or even none would match the one I have. I just seem to have gotten a particularly good version.

Reactivity is almost nil now. I sharpened recently for the first time in awhile. Takes a great edge easily with just a touchup on a Meara. Holds it a long while too.

Does everything I want. Tip seems sturdy but is thin enough for detailed work. Heel is powerful; Altadan says his has some trouble with winter squash. Mine has none. It's got a bit of a belly so it's good for rocking herbs, but it's a surprisingly good chopper. Separation is well above average despite a Damascus finish.

Every time I get a new knife, I compare it to the Sekiso. Time and again, it beats out the newcomer or at least holds its own. The only knife I've used recently that has wowed me just as much, though for very different reasons, is the Shibata AS. Thing cuts food like I am carving air! The laser among lasers.
I will back J’s comment on the Shibata AS. This is the laser amongst lasers. I’ve tried several lasers and none compares. This thing splits cabbage without resistance. It’s like the cabbage head explodes as you stroke the knife down. It beats the Kono lasers( w2 and hd) in this regard. It holds its edge and ain’t too dainty for rocking on herbs. I suggest everyone try it! And that’s not a request, it’s a demand to all knife lovers!!!
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

My favorite knife is my Kanehiro 240mm AS gyuto. It does everything with exceptional finesse and no fuss.

Sweet potatoes? No sweat.
Hubbard squash the size of my head? Bring it on.
Portioning proteins? Mincing garlic? Fine chiffonade on herbs? Check. Check. Check.

The nashiji finish is beautiful, and stainless cladding makes maintenance a breeze. The steel keeps a usable edge in a professional kitchen for what seems like ever. The profile is very versatile. I use this knife for 5 hour prep sessions followed by dinner service on the line. As my collection has grown and I continue to try new knives through friends and colleagues, this knife is still the one I would grab if I could only have one.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I view the Kanehiro line of knives as the magnum opus of Hiroshi Kato. Why he gets overlooked in comparison to the makers of Shigs and Katos is beyond me. Great profiles, great edges, great fit and finish, great performance, all at a reasonable price.

If I were a pro, the Kanehiro AS and Kamo R2 would be my knives of choice for their versatility and edge retention.

I know Kato's son is likely making most or all of these knives these days, but the earlier Kanehiros are some of the finest knives I've used.

I've got a new Kanehiro ginsan 240 that I suspect is made by the son. It's lighter and slimmer than the older versions and bears a definite similarity to other knives I know that Yoshimi makes. If so, it would seem the son is really finding his groove now. My Kanehiro ginsan is a helluva performer.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Why not just ask "Which child is your favorite?"
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:29 pm Why not just ask "Which child is your favorite?"
It's usually the last one I bought.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:29 pm Why not just ask "Which child is your favorite?"
You buy your children? :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Sounds like a redundancy clause in an employment contract ...... " last on, first off ...." :mrgreen:
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Dmiller

Post by Dmiller »

Konosuke Fuji B2 240
ahanson

Post by ahanson »

Drewski wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm It's usually the last one I bought.
Pretty much that, but I have gone back to my 180mm Koishi gyuto lately and find myself reaching for it pretty often.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:57 pm
Where else do you get children?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm
Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Where else do you get children?
I honestly don't remember anymore. I just remember my wife bringing one home once.
Quantim0

Post by Quantim0 »

My Takeda stainless nakiri. I love everything about it and it’s everything I could ever want in a knife.

Second runner up is my Shibata Kotestsu AS gyuto 240mm.

I have a Kohetsu hap40 240mm gyuto coming tomorrow so subject to change :D
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

The older I get the harder this question gets. I have been collecting for 8 or so years and whatever I did not like I sold. Now I have a bunch of knives that I really like and any knife could take the top spot on any given week.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:09 pm The older I get the harder this question gets. I have been collecting for 8 or so years and whatever I did not like I sold. Now I have a bunch of knives that I really like and any knife could take the top spot on any given week.
+1
I tend to grab a different knife nearly every night now.
rawtimes

Post by rawtimes »

Fujiwara Teruyasu Nakiri knife [Maboroshi] 195mm 330g 32400yen

Togiharu Chinese Cleaver 220 mm $130.50

Takeshi Saji Rainbow Bunka 165mm. Blue #2 with Western Iron wood handle 16500 Baht

Murata Western Petty 80mm Blue #1 Kurouchi $125.00
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

My HOPEFULLY favorite knife is in flight and should arrive today, I have high hopes! : https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata24wa.html

I had high hopes for this Takeda but just sold it, I'm not sure the grind was right and I always found myself putting it down to use another knife. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tastclgyex.html

The Nakiri I keep coming back to and using on a daily basis. It's bloody sharp and very easy to use: Shiro Kamo AS Nakiri. (Bought here but I guess no longer stocked)
160mm