Petty Recommendation please 135-150mm

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
2pulis

Petty Recommendation please 135-150mm

Post by 2pulis »

Looking for a petty recommendation based on the below information...any suggestions or feedback is appreciated!

1)Pro or home cook? Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Petty

3) What size knife do you want? 135-150mm

4)How much do you want to spend? up to $200

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? open

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? my current knives are all western, but open to Japanese options

7)What are your main knife/knives now? SRS-15 240 gyuto, Tetsuhiro AS 175 gyuto, Tojiro DP paring

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? fair-good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? mostly push/pull, some light chopping

10)Do you know how to sharpen? reasonably proficient on Edge Pro

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions. The Tetsuhiro is my "do-it-all" daily use knife, but looking for something a little smaller with less height for veggie prep, trimming, general utility work. Really like the patina of the exposed edge and haven’t had any maintenance issues with the reactive steel edge.

Some of my current considerations:
Tanaka Damascus 135mm or 150mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tadape15.html
Gihei Blue #2 150 mm (might be a bit on the tall side) https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gibl2pe15.html
Moritaka AS 130mm or 150 mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka3.html
Shibata Kotetsu AS 135 mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shaspe13.html
Takeda Classic Banno Petit (might stretch my budget too far though!) https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tabape.html

And a couple I saw on another website (sorry!), but would like to know if anyone has experience with these:

R2 Damascus Petty 135mm By Shiro Kamo
Petty 135mm KU Aogami Super By Shiro Kamo
arthurfowler

Re: Petty Recommendation please 135-150mm

Post by arthurfowler »

You have some great knives listed. However, I think the Takamura R2 150mm is one of the best allrounders out there. Sharpens easily and retains the edge forever.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura2.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

For the variety of use it seems this knife will see and if it will see and board work, I like something with a little height. Something around 32-34mm Is what I'd look for. The Tanaka Damascus would work well here.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
2pulis

Post by 2pulis »

Thank you for the responses; any thoughts on 135 vs 150mm? Also, for the fully reactive (iron-clad) options above, any concerns about excessive corrosion or affecting the flavor of foods?
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

I have the Tanaka as well and it is a great knife. I have the 135mm but if I had to choose again I would probably take the 150mm unless you want it for in hand work. Also mine isn't nearly as reactive as I was expecting. I really haven't had any problems with mine.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I like a 150mm over a 135, just seems more versatile. As far as being fully reactive, most aren't that bad and usually calm down fairly quickly. If your worried about it or have trouble just polish the knife. Something about polishing a knife with something like Flitz calms them down quite a bit. I think it has to do with making the surface smoother makes it less reactive.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

If you like a tall petty for board work(which I do), go with the shibata kotetsu 135mm. The steel is amazing and shibata always does a great job on the grinds. Plus fit and finish and the size of the handle. The feel of the knife is great, might need to refine your technique a little bit as these knives have low tip so low rock, but very very nice knife. I literally just sold mine to a co-worker no more than an hour and half ago lol.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Gihei Blue #2 150 mm is a good bang for the buck knife if you want one that tall. It does have a full size handle though that might feel cumbersome.
I have the 165mm petty and love it.
2pulis

Post by 2pulis »

Thank you all for the feedback; I think I am leaning toward the Tanaka 150. Any concerns about fit and finish? Also, anything I should consider when choosing my first Wa-handled knife?
sac36555

Post by sac36555 »

The only knock on the Tanaka is F&F issues. Be prepared to have to round the choil and spine a bit, as they can come pretty sharp. The handles are basic.
knifefan5

Post by knifefan5 »

tell me please, Tanaka knives made of blue paper 2 strongly rust?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

knifefan5 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 am tell me please, Tanaka knives made of blue paper 2 strongly rust?
Only if you abuse them.
2pulis

Post by 2pulis »

On second thought I am now leaning toward something shorter that 150, maybe the Tanaka 135 since it is closer to 140mm. Any thoughts on the Shibata AS 135? Maybe a bit short for board work?
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

I really like tanakas knives, but I wouldn't buy the b2 iron clad version of his petty, although not as bad as they used to be, I still find them reactive enough to be a hassle for a knife that will be seeing lots of acidic food and will be used for multiple tasks as petties normally are, they are also usually amongst the very first knives grabbed by non knife people.
I would look at the vg10 or the r2 version instead.
knifefan5

Post by knifefan5 »

the quality of the cut of products with steel VG-10 is very different from that of B-steel 2?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I own many VG10 knives, and the edge can be quite good. I'm becoming convinced that good powdered steels or carbons are easier to get a really refined edge with. But right now, I'm noticing grinds as a big thing with the way I use knives - my Richmond ultimatum will cut paper towels easily without ripping them, but several other knives in my kit cut much better in real food. I'm still searching for that perfect knife - buy 6-10 a year - but have not found any I like better than my kikuichi and kohetsu stuff for performance, and my old Sabatier stuff for feel. Trying to nail it with one purchase is a dream - I'm still trying. I think it's personal the more I get into things - on of my buds thinks his nenox is the schiz - I bought one, used it a couple times and went back to other ones. I'm learning, but realize that my "worlds greatest knife" is not the same as another's. It's what works for you
knifefan5

Post by knifefan5 »

The ideal knife is probably the knife to which we are accustomed and which is the most convenient for us. endless searches are unlikely to help find that mythical Grail. on how many I heard in Japan there are no bad knives) Japanese knives are some of the best in the world!
knifefan5

Post by knifefan5 »

it all depends on our ability to sharpen the knife and on our skill and technology of cutting products. this is probably one of the main indicators.
2pulis

Post by 2pulis »

Looks like the Tanaka 135 is out of stock; now considering the Shibata 135.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Shibata is never a bad choice...