Santoku and Bunka redundant?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Santoku and Bunka redundant?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Mark,

I have been reading through the forum on searches. A remaining question for which there may be no answer:

Is it redundant to add the Moritaka 170mm bunka to a Masakage Shimo 165mm bunka and Takagi 170mm Santoku? I was looking for a flatter blade but wonder about all the same length.

The Moritaka 170mm is lower, flatter than the Masakage Shimo belly. I do not know how the thinner Takagi Santoku feels and cuts.

Presently I am considering the Moritaka 170mm bunka or Moritaka 210mm Kiritsuke. Both have lower height, though I do not know if the difference is noticeable.

Other suggestions?
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
snipes

Re: Santoku and Bunka redundant?

Post by snipes »

If the question of redundancy is specific to those three knives, then I'll have to pass as I don't have any experiences with them. In general terms I'll answer the thread title by posing a question of my own. Is having more than one 240mm gyuto redundant? I think we have a consensus on that answer. I say go for it, Moritaka puts out a fantastic blade and aesthetically it's very different from the Shimo.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I don't have any experience with any of those knives, but just from a functional standpoint I don't think you gain anything by having all three. Picking one is probably appropriate from a function standpoint, but if you just like knives then get and keep all three. Which one to keep is a matter of personal preference, but I'd go with the flattest one you can find.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Personally I like some belly, but it is just preference.
If I'm getting this correctly, you already have the Shimo and Tagaki and are trying to decide between 170 bunka and 210 kiritsuki?
If that's the case and I were you I would get the 210 just for a different size, this is assuming that you don't have a 210 of anything already.. Might as well see if you like it. For that matter, maybe consider a 240 if you don't have one and do have enough board space.

As for redundant? That's tough to answer without more information on what you plan to use it on and how.

I have a few knives that are in the same size range (length-wise)
For me, in that size/category I find the biggest difference in how thick / thin they are behind the edge, how high the grind goes and how thin the spine is. That's because I do a lot of tip draws and ghosting through apple or whatever without a thin piece sticking to the blade is very valuable to me, so I tend to like thin grinds with a low tip.

Please feel free to share any information on how you would use the knife and what you know or think you value about the knives you have / want. I guess the key is figuring out what features will help you the most and from there you Should be able to get some great feedback from the group here.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:53 pm I was looking for a flatter blade but wonder about all the same length.

The Moritaka 170mm is lower, flatter than the Masakage Shimo belly. I do not know how the thinner Takagi Santoku feels and cuts.

Presently I am considering the Moritaka 170mm bunka or Moritaka 210mm Kiritsuke. Both have lower height, though I do not know if the difference is noticeable.
If one has a different profile that fits your mechanics better, than it is not redundant - it is a better fitting tool. Profile and grind can affect how a knife feels and handles.
From a pure functionality standpoint, sure it is redundant. It's just that you can potentially use one better than the other.
sac36555

Post by sac36555 »

With the profile you are talking about, I’d also consider a 180mm Mazaki gyuto. Very flat profile, but a little more weight. I don’t have experience with any of those other knives, but I’ve been eying a Bunka lately!