Flat Blade Profiles

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
salemj

Re: Flat Blade Profiles

Post by salemj »

djschmitt wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:54 pm Would the right handed bias be removed with the next sharpening? Or is it built in to the knife? Konosuke is raved about, and I've heard of the the what-seems-to-be unicorn HD. I'll have to check in to the current models more.
Built in: I'm describing a grind bias, not a bevel bias, so it would not be removed with sharpening, but it would also be way too subtle for you to notice any steering or anything like that. Steve received some to review recently, and he's posted some videos on the CKTG site that I just watched—he virtually always mentions blade bias since he is a left-hander. He specifically mentions using the Ginsan 240, but makes no mention of grind bias. I just used my Blue 2 this afternoon to do some chopping and I have to say that I don't think the bias would be an issue for most users. I'm particularly sensitive to this aspect of knives (because I like it, not because I find it annoying), and my guess is that most people would describe the Blue 2 as symmetrical; I just happen to feel like it has a bit of bias which actually aids in accuracy and food release on the right side of the blade.

Steve happens to give a very nice shout-out to me in his Blue 2 240mm video, which was very kind of him. (Thanks, Steve!) You can see I wrote a very short blurb and commented a bit more on the carbon version of the knife in a "first look" write up (which is linked in my review on the CKTG site).
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
sac36555

Post by sac36555 »

The Shibata Kohetsu Gyuto might be another option for you if you’re looking for a Gyuto with a flat profile with that “K-Tip”
djschmitt

Post by djschmitt »

You are all fantastic and I appreciate the information. I've learned so much and am still learning (grind bias vs bevel bias).

I'm totally fine with food sticking because I've been dealing with it forever. I'd say less wedging and thinner blade.