Perfect 240 suji

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Chefspence

Perfect 240 suji

Post by Chefspence »

)Pro or home cook? Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Suji

3) What size knife do you want? 240

4)How much do you want to spend? Under$250

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Stainless clad or all stainless

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Either

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Don’t have any suji right now

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Slicing in this case

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

In this case, I really want a one and done Suji. I know most people rec a 270, but I never use a knife that big anymore. I honestly feel like I could get by with a 210 in most case, but when looking for the perfect suji, I would lean toward a 240. Doesn’t have to be high hrc.

My real requirements are that it;
1. Has Kanji
2. Is stiff yet flexy for various tasks
3. Is durable for tough tasks.

I would have just bought a kohetsu AS suji already, but it doesn’t come in 240, and wonder if it’s too hard for rough usage.

I’ve looked in many spots and have a hard time finding anything that meets my hopes, and isn’t crazy expensive for what I consider a limited usage knife.

Thanks for the help.
Cahudson42

Re: Perfect 240 suji

Post by Cahudson42 »

Mark just added a 240mm Kanehide Bessaku TK Suji at $80:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kabesuri24.html

Did you consider it? I have the original 270 and think it a great purpose-made value.

My Saji Ginsan Yanagiba also came to mind. Do you own any Yanagiba? My 210 is a beautifully crafted knife, and the 240 recently came back in stock. At $175, it also seems a good value. Depending on what you plan to slice, might this be an alternative?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tasa24yaho.html

I'll guess the Saji might be a bit more flexible than the Bessaku.. but maybe not since it's san mai and not monosteel..

Others comment?
Last edited by Cahudson42 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Cahudson42 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 pm Mark just added a 240mm Kanehide Bessaku TK Suji at $80:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kabesuri24.html

Did you consider it? I have the original 270 and think it a great purpose-made value.
Totally looked at it. I’m just such a priss about real kanji, especially if I want it to be a forever knife.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

What do you mean by real kanji? Do you mean chiseled?

I would have tossed in a rec for the misuno dragon but it's not stainless... although not terribly reacitve.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono7.html

It's tough, has some flex so you can use it to fillet, sharpens up easy. The kanji is stamped (not embossed) but not hand chiseled...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefspence wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm ...I’m just such a priss about real kanji, especially if I want it to be a forever knife.
I've gotten to be the same way Spense. Just can't stomach lasered or screened kanji anymore.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:58 pm What do you mean by real kanji? Do you mean chiseled?

I would have tossed in a rec for the misuno dragon but it's not stainless... although not terribly reacitve.

It's tough, has some flex so you can use it to fillet, sharpens up easy. The kanji is stamped (not embossed) but not hand chiseled...
Yes. Much prefer chiseled, though something embossed or stamped like the Kono hd style would wirk
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 am
Chefspence wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm ...I’m just such a priss about real kanji, especially if I want it to be a forever knife.
I've gotten to be the same way Spense. Just can't stomach lasered or screened kanji anymore.
I know! Even the Shibata layering is only so so to me. Still much better than screening. I just want something that lasts. Maybe I could have someone laser etch on a knife for me.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:58 pm What do you mean by real kanji? Do you mean chiseled?

Ya, I really do think chiseled kanji is the best. Maybe it’s just not so available on thinner sujis
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 am
Right! The screening just doesn’t last. Hate that
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

The misono dragon isn’t just screened on?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:18 am The misono dragon isn’t just screened on?
No, it's embossed.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Did you end up making a decision?
salemj

Post by salemj »

What about a Ginga? I can't tell if they are stamped or screened, but they look like they might be stamped.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Lepus wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 pm Did you end up making a decision?
No, just got back from a vacation and have to buy a new ac for the house. Have seen a couple prospects, but they seem to jump up in price so much when they have embossed kanji. Wondering if it’s really worth it.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:29 pm What about a Ginga? I can't tell if they are stamped or screened, but they look like they might be stamped.
I saw some on aframestokyo, I think, they look like they’d fit my bill. I just don’t understand the price. I don’t use a suji very much, so having difficulty swallowing that
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Chefspence wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Lepus wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 pm Did you end up making a decision?
No, just got back from a vacation and have to buy a new ac for the house. Have seen a couple prospects, but they seem to jump up in price so much when they have embossed kanji. Wondering if it’s really worth it.
My mind immediately jumped to a Tadafusa or a Wakui.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Chefspence wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:48 pm
salemj wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:29 pm What about a Ginga? I can't tell if they are stamped or screened, but they look like they might be stamped.
I saw some on aframestokyo, I think, they look like they’d fit my bill. I just don’t understand the price. I don’t use a suji very much, so having difficulty swallowing that
You must be thinking of something different. I meant a Geshsin Ginga. Price and profile are a virtual exact fit.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am
You must be thinking of something different. I meant a Geshsin Ginga. Price and profile are a virtual exact fit.
Yep sorry I was thinking a tadatsuna. So,...JKI?
salemj

Post by salemj »

Chefspence wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Yeah. Western or Wa for stainless 240 come in within 5 bucks of your limit. I've never used these knives or anything, and I don't have much to say about them or JKI imports here, but I will say that I wouldn't hesitate for one moment to give one of their knives a try if it "fit the bill" for what I was looking for. I have contacted Jon in the past to discuss things and he's always been fantastic. In the past, my impression has always been that Jon designs his knives very carefully, and that their specs are just slightly different than what I am usually looking for, but I think they hit the "sweet spot" for a lot of people, especially professionals. I'm sure there are obvious reasons his options are not discussed more on this forum, but in this case, it really seems like the appropriate option and it would be silly not to discuss it in this thread. Maybe someone else will chime in who has experience with these knives, but the reality is you can pretty clearly see what you are getting, and there's plenty of discussion of them elsewhere, too, from what I gather.
~Joe

Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm
Chefspence wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Yeah. Western or Wa for stainless 240 come in within 5 bucks of your limit. I've never used these knives or anything, and I don't have much to say about them or JKI imports here, but I will say that I wouldn't hesitate for one moment to give one of their knives a try if it "fit the bill" for what I was looking for. I have contacted Jon in the past to discuss things and he's always been fantastic. In the past, my impression has always been that Jon designs his knives very carefully, and that their specs are just slightly different than what I am usually looking for, but I think they hit the "sweet spot" for a lot of people, especially professionals. I'm sure there are obvious reasons his options are not discussed more on this forum, but in this case, it really seems like the appropriate option and it would be silly not to discuss it in this thread. Maybe someone else will chime in who has experience with these knives, but the reality is you can pretty clearly see what you are getting, and there's plenty of discussion of them elsewhere, too, from what I gather.
Totally understand. I don’t generally discuss other sites here either, but that’s the one I did see that hit my hopes. Thanks Joe.