Is there a perfect petty?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Chefspence

Is there a perfect petty?

Post by Chefspence »

Looking for the best petty. Thinking 165 is the best length

1)Pro or home cook?
Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Petty

3) What size knife do you want?
Thinking 165mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
1-150$

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless, semi-stainless, or clad

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Probably western, but really either is ok

7)What are your main knife/knives now?180 Tojiro petty, mac 5.5 petty

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? No matter in this case

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

I have been searching for the perfect petty, and have been having a really hard time distinguishing. There’s so many styles and lengths.

I’d like something that’s more utility purpose. Something that can do board work, detail work, butchery, and whatever else, though more meat fab and small slicing than anything.

I have really been enjoying my Tojiro DP 180 which is a petty/Small suji and is durable enough to not baby.

I’d like it to be pointy, not like a small gyuto, for meat fabrication, though am open to other profiles if you know they will work.

Don’t even know if 165 is the ideal length, but it seems like 150 is a bit small, and 180 is a bit long. Though, again I’ve really taken to the Tojiro 180$

If price is an issue, I’ll pay for the right one :mrgreen:

My hopes;
1. Real kanji
2. Tough and durable
3. Not crazy expensive
4. Will meet my needs and last a lifetime

Ps, I’ve always wondered about the Kono petties
Jeff B

Re: Is there a perfect petty?

Post by Jeff B »

The right 165mm petty is one of the hardest knives out there to find to me.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 am Gehei, 165 Tall petty.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gibl2tape17.html
I was going to make the same recommendation because I like mine but he made this comment;

"...I’d like it to be pointy, not like a small gyuto..."

That one is like a small gyuto and has been described as such. I think he would be happier with something more 34mm at the heel.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am

I was going to make the same recommendation because I like mine but he made this comment;

That one is like a small gyuto and has been described as such. I think he would be happier with something more 34mm at the heel.
I use mine in all of his described tasks with ease.
It's point, but not like a suji point.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Jeff B wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am

I use mine in all of his described tasks with ease.
It's point, but not like a suji point.
I agree with you, I use it for all those tasks too and love the knife. I was just hesitant because of his comment about not wanting one like a small gyuto, which this one is. He might be better served with something else, I just haven't come up with a better rec yet.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

There's too few 165s.

Moritaka might be an option
but it's 25% more than the Gehei.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mosu16pe.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 pm There's too few 165s.

Moritaka might be an option
but it's 25% more than the Gehei.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mosu16pe.html
The dilemma in a nutshell.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Definitely not a readily available knife length. The only one I’ve really seen is the Fkm 165 from jck. Really looking for some chiseled kanji though
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Spencer you want to test drive the Gehei?
I can send mine over
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have a nenohi 180mm petty that I love, and a Kikuichi that's like 150 or so (pretty Damascus one) that is a great performer as well. The kikuichi is a stainless (Swedish) knife, and I have been using it for several years - daughter loves it so she will get it when she gets a bigger place. I would definitely consider it - smaller, buy in your price range
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 pm Spencer you want to test drive the Gehei?
I can send mine over
These days I mainly trim boneless pork loins for my meat fab. Would it really work well to get in there and get all the sinew off in clean long strokes?

I’ve just always been certain that when doing any meat fab, a pointier or skinnier knife was best. Am I thinking about it wrong? What do you use mainly. I’d bet you do a lot more fab and different proteins than I do. I rarely do chicken or beef anymore.

I really miss those days, but my truck menu is so limited.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I think it'd be okay on pork, I don't have issues cleaning beef tenderloin silverskin with it.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Perhaps not all that helpful but, my go to petty is my 150mm T-F Nashiji W#1 Stainless Clad. I trim a lot of pork tenderloin with it (home cook but my wife likes the pork tenderloin for many meals).
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I would send you towards a honesuki if you are using it for trimming pork loins - never had a better knife for cleaning up proteins
salemj

Post by salemj »

Have you checked Bloodroot Blades?

I have one of their granite saw blades and boy oh boy I can only imagine how amazing it would be as a meat/everything petty. They are masters of small profiles from what I've seen. There's always the lottery, but for a "lifetime blade," you should really just contact them and start the process.

I've only used one of their blades, but it has made a real impression. It isn't an all-around blade at all (I didn't buy it to be), but it definitely shows of the incredible skill of this team.

Edit: The "carbon" I have is not very reactive at all—since it is monosteel and not clad, it is really not an issue over carbon-clad stainless in my mind. Also, the fact that the separate "protein" from "petty" is fun: check both, as well as the lottery page, to get a sampling of the kind of variety they offer. Check out this lottery, for example: http://www.bloodrootblades.com/filletandpettyjune
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
delmar

Post by delmar »

My favorites are gihei (tall) or TF nashiji/ Takamura R2. My TF is the best petty I have ever used, and is unparalleled for me in trimming proteins, portioning and other tasks. Takamura is a wicked feather that needs sharpening about...almost never. I've strayed away from mini-gyutos, but the gehei has a wonderful feel and is amazingly authoritative for the size. Alas, the TF and Taka are 150mm.

Goko was my budget pick for taller petty.

Thumbing through the petty page, I do have to say I am really intriqued by the shape and steel on the Gihei HAP40. Crazy 'pointy' 150 petty. Price point too high though.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm Have you checked Bloodroot Blades?

I have one of their granite saw blades and boy oh boy I can only imagine how amazing it would be as a meat/everything petty. They are masters of small profiles from what I've seen. There's always the lottery, but for a "lifetime blade," you should really just contact them and start the process.

I've only used one of their blades, but it has made a real impression. It isn't an all-around blade at all (I didn't buy it to be), but it definitely shows of the incredible skill of this team.

Edit: The "carbon" I have is not very reactive at all—since it is monosteel and not clad, it is really not an issue over carbon-clad stainless in my mind. Also, the fact that the separate "protein" from "petty" is fun: check both, as well as the lottery page, to get a sampling of the kind of variety they offer. Check out this lottery, for example: http://www.bloodrootblades.com/filletandpettyjune
Those are some beauties!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

delmar wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:33 pm My favorites are gihei (tall) or TF nashiji/ Takamura R2. My TF is the best petty I have ever used, and is unparalleled for me in trimming proteins, portioning and other tasks. Takamura is a wicked feather that needs sharpening about...almost never. I've strayed away from mini-gyutos, but the gehei has a wonderful feel and is amazingly authoritative for the size. Alas, the TF and Taka are 150mm.

Goko was my budget pick for taller petty.

Thumbing through the petty page, I do have to say I am really intriqued by the shape and steel on the Gihei HAP40. Crazy 'pointy' 150 petty. Price point too high though.
I’ve looked at that Gihei hap40 many times wondering if that could be a good fit. The thing about the Gihei 165 tall is that once you get a blade that shape and height, I see myself using my santoku or bunka just as much for most things. I don’t do much detail work or small mincing of anything anymore. Mostly just pork loin with my current petties. Lots of mirepoix and limes on my truck.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

lsboogy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 pm I would send you towards a honesuki if you are using it for trimming pork loins - never had a better knife for cleaning up proteins
I had a honesuki once and just didn’t jive with it, though I do agree it’s the best for breaking down chickens