Question about the Moritaka line

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
JayBee

Question about the Moritaka line

Post by JayBee »

I'm in the market for a B#2 or AS 210mm Gyuto, and i've seen a couple Moritaka custom handles offered recently that i've been really attracted to. I've done some googling on the line, and there seems to be some quite strong negative reactions to moritakas especially via reddit. Specifically the complaints tend to revolve around overgrind, reactivity (I'm not in a professional setting so this doesn't bother me too much since I can take the extra time to make sure I wipe the blade down), and poor fit and finish (I'm assuming the handle is installed by CKTG, so this is probably a non-issue in this case? Is that correct?). I'm not familiar with the brand at all, so i'd like some input from this forum before I go ahead and pull the trigger.
old onion

Re: Question about the Moritaka line

Post by old onion »

I seen some of the opinions given against the Moritaka on Reddit and one guy especially that gave an opinion sounds like he just left a bar with a bad case of the hates for everything in general so I would take what he said,well,I wouldn't take what he said.lol
I have two,a 210 Gyuto and a Santoku and neither show any overgrind but both are very thin behind the edge.I consider these my lasers in my block. The 210 isn't a tall knife.I think mine is like 44 mm tall and the stock handle that comes a little undersized compared to some others is ideal for my pinch grip and board clearance and offers a good balance.Now I have read some complaining that they do not like the fact that the tang is stainless welded onto the carbon blade.I myself see this more as a plus rather then a minus and really is no big deal.The 210 is light and nimble and an easy knife to work with.
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

I have found them to be excellent knives.
And you are correct to assume that with an upgraded handle it will alleviate the fit and finish complaint.
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

I have had a 210 AS kiritsuke for a couple of years that has seen a lot of use. I like the knife a lot. I think what you read on other forums and reddit has been greatly exaggerated by folks who don't entirely know that of which they speak. I had some reactivity issues at first, and very slight overgrinding that made it difficult to get a good kasumi finish. Didn't affect performance at all. Now the blade road has flattened out after some work on the stones and is a non issue entirely. After forming a patina, and especially after refinishing on stones, reactivity has been a non issue.

Great (very hard!) steel, good heat treatment, fit and finish are just fine by me. Knife takes and holds a great edge. Nice thin grind. Good stock handle with straight and tight install. Kurouchi has been pretty darn durable although I've read plenty of complaints. I think a lot of people scrub their knives with a green scotch pad and it takes the finish right off.

I would absolutely buy another Moritaka.

cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Typically out of my price range I have a petty. They are double ground to provide better release. And I for one will have another when it’s financially feasible. One of the best brands I’ve ever handled. Beautiful work.
-C-
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Plain and simple, the complaints about Moritaka and over grinds are totally over blown.They didn't gain the popularity they have today by being a shittty knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Haters will hate. Quality knives with quite good performance. Very good heat treat.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

When people say they got a bad Moritaka, I believe them. When people say they don't like Moritakas, I can see why. When people say Moritakas are all awful, I think they're unreasonable. The issues people cite as foundational flaws in Moritaka's method and products can be seen commonly from many, many other makers. The flaws in the end product are often subtle enough many users would not consider them flaws at all. The more reflections I've read about Moritaka the more I think some of the most negative reflections are legally actionable slander. A lot of it stems from personal conflict between Western vendors.

I plan to let mine go soon, but I'll be buying another, probably a short gyuto or a funayuki. The steel in them is top flight.
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

Mine has a slight overgrind. I find the KU acceptable. Not the best. Not the worst. The KU has lasted a few years but has some worn spots like the photo above.
That said, it's a great knife and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

On the other hand, I think the Makoto W#2 is superior in every way for less money.