Knife for 11YO daughter

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Hiroshima

Knife for 11YO daughter

Post by Hiroshima »

My daughter is enjoying cooking and I want to get her a knife of her own.

I’ll end up making a saya for it and she will be responsible for its care. I’ll handle sharpening.

Basics:
She is 5’3”
I let her use my 240mm gyuto’s under supervision but those are too long for her.
She is very used to sharp knives and she useses my Kurosaki / Masagage/ and other nicer knives.
I’d like to get a 180-210 gyuto
<75$
Wa handle preferred
Not German- I hate German knives.
Stainless only as she’s a kid

I want something nice enough that it feels special but not so nice that I’ll get mad when she breaks the tip or chips an edge. It will bet hers but I’d be responsible for upkeep so I don’t want to polish a turd.

Any help appreciated!
Bensbites

Re: Knife for 11YO daughter

Post by Bensbites »

I would start by looking at the shop by steel section if the store. See if anything resonates.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

6 inch shun classic
gladius

Post by gladius »

The MAC Superior Santoku Knife 6.5" would make a wonderful starter knife that is tough yet performs well and is easily maintained...and under budget.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/macsu65insak.html

The MAC Superior 5" Utility Knife would also be nice: shorter and more slender...

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/macknsu5inut.html
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

If she wants a shun 6" knife I'd let one go for $80. Have had one for same purpose (bought it for my daughter when she was about the same age) but she has long outgrown it. Thing sits in a block for when kids come over - used about once a year any more
Last edited by lsboogy on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cahudson42

Post by Cahudson42 »

Misutani VG10 has been mentioned favorably in other recent threads. The 180mm Gyuto is right at $75:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavggy18.html

The Yahiko VG10 210, if the length won't be an issue, might be another consideration at $60:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavgwegy21.html
Hiroshima

Post by Hiroshima »

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to skip the mac’s. Like the Japanese selections Cahudson recommended.

Thanks for the offer of the Shun. I’ve seen and used the elite’s and was never impressed by the steel. I realize the VG10 in another suggestion is about the same steel but appreciate the offer to buy used.

Any other suggestions welcome!
Hiroshima

Post by Hiroshima »

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to skip the mac’s. Like the Japanese selections Cahudson recommended.

Thanks for the offer of the Shun. I’ve seen and used the elite’s and was never impressed by the steel. I realize the VG10 in another suggestion is about the same steel but appreciate the offer to buy used.

Any other suggestions welcome!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Macs are Japanese knives - I bought one after meeting Mario B and watching him use one. - very nice blades. But most of the blades you get here are much better - your kid just needs a knife she thinks is cool - at 11 she will change things quickly and often - take her shopping and buy her what she wants - mine picked out the shun and a nenohi (two daughters - one wanted pretty, one wanted expensive) - both are cheap in the gist of things. Older daughter now has a cheap knife, younger one has wildly expensive stuff. They will find their own paths in the world. Get her something she likes and she will use it - my suggestion is to take her shopping - and $75 is a lowball for a knife IMHO - at 11 she will cost you much much more in the future, the knife will be a pettance in the scheme of things. Been through kids - greatest thing we can ever do. Give her everything you can - no better use of your time and money.
skarcher

Post by skarcher »

Since cool/pretty is part of the deal (and I'm not judging -- I'm considering looks for knives I buy), you could also look at the slightly more expensive (but imo way prettier) Wa handled Yahiko https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavggy21ro.html ; still very reasonably priced.

Also the Mac Santoku really is a lovely knife; wouldn't underestimate it and the Macs are popular with pros for a reason.
Hiroshima

Post by Hiroshima »

Thanks for the great reply. I grew up with Mac knives so I know they are decent.

Yep...I am lowballing a bit on the price since i want to have her be responsible for her own tools and also appreciate that nice things take care to maintain... but I don’t want to get mad if / when she chunks it up. She’s also good enough with a knife ( better than a lot of my adult friends) that I want her to enjoy the task. She still gets to use my stuff... by am guessing she will want to use her own knife.

Great suggestion about having her pick... I was gonna just surprise her but you’ve been through this already and agree it’s also about letting them be their own person....

I like all the suggestions and maybe if she wants pretty i’ll make her chip in the extra. I also hate buyin junk... but I don’t see much of that sold at CKTG.

I think as I get better at custom handles I can toss a mable Burl wa handle on there to give it more pop.

Thanks guys!!!!
lsboogy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 am Macs are Japanese knives - I bought one after meeting Mario B and watching him use one. - very nice blades. But most of the blades you get here are much better - your kid just needs a knife she thinks is cool - at 11 she will change things quickly and often - take her shopping and buy her what she wants - mine picked out the shun and a nenohi (two daughters - one wanted pretty, one wanted expensive) - both are cheap in the gist of things. Older daughter now has a cheap knife, younger one has wildly expensive stuff. They will find their own paths in the world. Get her something she likes and she will use it - my suggestion is to take her shopping - and $75 is a lowball for a knife IMHO - at 11 she will cost you much much more in the future, the knife will be a pettance in the scheme of things. Been through kids - greatest thing we can ever do. Give her everything you can - no better use of your time and money.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Her tastes will change radically over the next 10 years. I took my daughters to WIlliams Sonoma and Cooks (local joint) - they both ended up picking out nice knives (Sabatier and shun - shows my age and theirs - oldest one picked a Sab like her dad - last of the true Sabs) - older daughter now hates to cook, younger one hocks cheese for a living and cooks constantly. You can't control what they will do - just open doors for them and hope they pick good ones. But in the long run, even a $500 knife will be cheap.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I wouldn’t count out vg10 just because of how shun treats the steel. Tanaka has a vg10 180 gyuto under 100 (sorry it’s slightly above the 75 mark) that I would consider. I test drove one of his gyutos in that steel that completely changed my worldview on vg10. It took and held an edge comparable to most carbons I’ve tried, and sharpening it was extremely easy. I never ran into that burr that won’t die that I’ve experienced sharpening shuns. Tanaka makes really great knives.
snipes

Post by snipes »

I still have fond memories of an afternoon session with one of Tananka 's vg10 offerings. It also opened up my eyes. Great advice isboogy regarding the kids choices and paths. I'm entering that same age with mine and have been having similar thoughts as the OP. I may very well take my oldest to W-S and let him choose. He's a lefty though.
Hiroshima

Post by Hiroshima »

Mine is a lefty also. Our family of 5. All 3 girls are left handed! How strange is that?!?

I’m gonna go with a 50-50 grind and will build her an octagonal handle so I don’t have to worry about dominant hand.

Thx for the heads up on the Tanaka.

As a side point. The kids stay home with me during the summer and I’ve been watching what knives she uses when she cuts fruit for herself. She always pulls the masakage 170mm santoku. Never anything longer. Maybe that should tell me something.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Hiroshima wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm Mine is a lefty also. Our family of 5. All 3 girls are left handed! How strange is that?
Out of my dads 5 kids 4 of us are lefties. (Both parents right handed.

My wife and I both left handed looks like our three year old is gonna be right handed. 🤦🏼‍♂️
-C-
delmar

Post by delmar »

I got my 14 year old daughter a dojo 180mm gyuto (really a santoku) 3 years ago for xmas and put a new handle on it. Her twin sister and mom grab the same knife despite some seriously good j knives sitting right next to it. For the price, good choice.
Hiroshima

Post by Hiroshima »

Not that you guys were waiting to find out but I decided to give my daughter a Masakage Yuki santoku... little more than $75.... but I gotta look at it in my knife block so,... why not.

Thanks for all the feedback and input. Appreciate it
snipes

Post by snipes »

Hiroshima wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:25 pm Not that you guys were waiting to find out but I decided to give my daughter a Masakage Yuki santoku... little more than $75.... but I gotta look at it in my knife block so,... why not.

Thanks for all the feedback and input. Appreciate it
:D Dad of the month ribbon right here!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

That will be a great cool knife for her for many years - you are a great dad. I loved having daughters in the kitchen with me (solo dad - raised youngest alone). Youngest one went for pretty but now uses really nice knives every day. All the best to you and your daughter - steer them a little and they will be the best part of your life.