Affordable S-Grinds?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
yparker

Affordable S-Grinds?

Post by yparker »

1)home cook

2)What kind of knife do you want? Guyto, Nakiri, or Bunka

3) What size knife do you want? 165-200mm

4)How much do you want to spend? Up to $300

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Stainless or carbon with stainless cladding

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Shibata Kotetsu 210 Bunka and Takeda 175 Bunka.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Excellent

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Chopping and pulling

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

Hey all! Title and description says it all. Between the shibata kotetsu and the takeda, the only way I can think of a better performing blade would be to have more food release. I'm wondering If anyone has some suggestions on an S-grind or another good food-release design/finish for $300 or less. Thanks!
Lepus

Re: Affordable S-Grinds?

Post by Lepus »

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Takedas do have forged in S-grinds. Otherwise I think you're going to be best off looking for knives with solid convex grinds and some backbone if you want better release in budget. Maybe a Tanaka or a Kanehiro.
yparker

Post by yparker »

Do you mean all takedas ARE S grinds or do you mean they offer a few? Maybe I don't know the real definition of an s grind?
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Other than the lowest priced offerings from Takeda (which are compound grinds) I think your best option for under $300 would be to break out the grinding wheel and get to grinding some blades yourself, lol

James Oatley & Benjamin kamon are waaaay over that price point
Last edited by CacahuateSommelier on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

All Takeda are forged in S grinds. Hold the grind up to a straight edge, check it out for yourself.
yparker

Post by yparker »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 pm Other than the lowest priced offerings from Takeda (which are compound grinds) I think your best option for under $300 would be to break out the grinding wheel and get to grinding some blades yourself, lol

James Oatley & Benjamin kamon are waaaay over that price point
Haha they certainly are. I've drooled over an Oatley for years, was hoping to find similar designs without all the fashion for less money.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Wasn't the Swedish maker Dahlman doing work with S-Grinds? Might be worth looking up.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm Wasn't the Swedish maker Dahlman doing work with S-Grinds? Might be worth looking up.
He does do, but not for 300.00.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:47 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm Wasn't the Swedish maker Dahlman doing work with S-Grinds? Might be worth looking up.
He does do, but not for 300.00.
This!!! I don’t think anyone does anything for less than $600.... and that would be for a small 160-180 (santoku or Nakiri)
salemj

Post by salemj »

I'm with Lepus here. Honestly, Takeda knives have featured the best real-world separation/release combo of any knife I've tried, so I'm not sure you can improve upon what you have already experienced in that regard. I also have not really seen an "S" grind that would be a major improvement.

(To be clear, I have very limited experience for this particular question, but at 300 and under, I think my experience is relevant!)
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

From what I have seen Takeda knives have a sharper transition between the cutting bevel and the S grind than Dalman’s. The Dalman’s transitions feels smooth and curvy. I can’t tell you which has better food release. If I remember correctly my Dalman was not typical of his current grinds, but an early knife.

I have had a couple takedas in the shop, and I was lucky enough to win Dalman’s rust bucket giveaway.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I had a dexter that had an S grind on it (gave it to a buddy - nice knife, just did't work for me). Send a note to Cjmeik and see if he can do it for you on one of your current blades
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

You may want to shoot Tony LaSeur an email. His prices are very reasonable and he seems willing to do totally custom work (maybe including an S grind, though I don't know). Not sure if it'll be less than $300, but it might be close.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

salemj wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm I'm with Lepus here. Honestly, Takeda knives have featured the best real-world separation/release combo of any knife I've tried, so I'm not sure you can improve upon what you have already experienced in that regard.
Truthfully this is what I was thinking myself. I have one of his 170 stainless clad bunkas and and it's very, very good at food release. I also have his 210 classic bunka. It's also outstanding in this regard. Slight nod to the stainless clad on this one characteristic. I'm not sure if that's the same for all of his stainless vs classic blades or just these two individual knives.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah,takedas are known to be consistent top notch performers for food release. The stainless clad nakiri I owned had great food release.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Takedas aren’t cheap, but worth every penny. Such a great experience!
yparker

Post by yparker »

Maybe I'm sharpening my Takedas incorrectly? I'm a vegetarian also If that makes a difference, my takeda definitely has average food release on things like onions, zucchini, etc. I wouldn't say it's any better than my other blades as far as the release. It's a fantastic knife for sure.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

yparker wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:43 pm Maybe I'm sharpening my Takedas incorrectly? I'm a vegetarian also If that makes a difference, my takeda definitely has average food release on things like onions, zucchini, etc. I wouldn't say it's any better than my other blades as far as the release. It's a fantastic knife for sure.
I don’t have a takeda, but I am sure if I don’t ask someone else will. What are you comparing the takeda to? Dalman? Something designed for food release?
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

yparker wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:43 pm Maybe I'm sharpening my Takedas incorrectly? I'm a vegetarian also If that makes a difference, my takeda definitely has average food release on things like onions, zucchini, etc. I wouldn't say it's any better than my other blades as far as the release. It's a fantastic knife for sure.
Bake it off against other knives on a nice starchy potato..... then tell us if you notice a difference :D

Not sure about your other knives but I have some that are absolutely comical when cutting potatos... The Takedas are very nice there. Plus... whenver I need to chop a pile of garlic... they're about all I consider using.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Not sure about your sharpening, but the food release of the Takeda was like an epiphany for me. I e of my greatest “holy shit” moments in my knife usage. Doubt it’s your sharpening, maybe your technique? Idk, but for me, food just didn’t stick...maybe one or two stray diced onions, but that’s unheard of in my experience with other knives.