Knife for wife

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
salemj

Re: Knife for wife

Post by salemj »

So, you mentioned you read something I wrote elsewhere. I'll repeat it here and evoke KitCraft as well:

If you opt to change your opinion on the handle issue, the good selection of Japanese-style stamped knives that mimic Western construction are great here...better, I think, than something like the PS60 or TK because, in my opinion, they are CONSIDERABLY more forgiving while still being plenty hard enough to take and hold a nice working edge. You wouldn't think 2-3 rockwell would make such a difference, but it does.

So, you have the FKM, and the Misono (two lines), and the Masamoto, and the Koa (miyabi), and a few others, I think. Virtually all of these come in 180mm, which I also think is the missing "key" here: it would be the perfect compromise for getting a bit more length while still being short enough at the heel for a shorter person, but also tall enough at the heel that it would work better through MANY more ingredients than a petty, especially for any kind of "trained" cuts (such as push cuts, rocks, chopping, guillotine and glide, etc., all of which require more height than a petty for most ingredients). And most of these will run you about 70-100 USD, which is spot-on.

What do you think?
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Qapla' wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:43 am If your requirements are board clearance suited to a general-use knife, and a shorter blade length, but you consider santoku's too curvy, then have you considered either bunkas, or else some 180mm gyutos?
Actually, am looking at santokus and short gyutos based on the comments so far! Very much coming around to something like that.

Thanks! :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:01 am Hey Carol!

As stated in your mother's thread (how's she liking it?!) I bought my wife a PS60 180 santoku and she loves it. I think she was disappointed with the gift initially, ha, but now she admits to loving it and not wanting to give it up.

I actually bought her the santoku over the 210 as it has a bit more height and is an over sized santoku at 180 vs 165, so it had a some flat at the heal (but isn't a hard stop) as well compared to other santokus. A year (and a lot of practice) later and she actually mentioned wanted to try some of my larger knives. Initially, she was terrified of them, so her comfort level has grown!

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The PS60 is a great starter as it isn't overly fragile or expensive, takes an edge easy enough, and is stainless.
Hi Miso! :)

The last time I remembered to ask her, my Mom still had not used the PS60. She said the Victorinoxes I gave her (and sharpen for her) were still sharp. I think she is afraid to use it. I need to try to remember to ask her about that, lol.

I have moved on in my thinking to something like you suggest. I am getting ready to look at the Masutani line more closely, I looked at one of the Quick Looks (forget which one), and wow, they are pretty flat! They look like perhaps a good place to start.

Thanks!

Carol :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

easilver wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 am Hey Carol

Congrats to KitKat on retiring. My wife and I are very close behind her.

As the others said, my wife--5'-4"--likes MY Takeda Petit. As I was sharpening on Saturday morning, she says, "my knife wasn't that sharp when I used it yesterday". I needed to remind her of California's community property laws, which got a well-deserved eye-roll. She likes that it's light and 140x38mm.

I have a few knives that I loan to friends and family. None of the women like the 210. All of them like the 180 mm Santokus and their favorite is this one: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kovgtssa18.html

They all consider this plenty big and they like the sheep's-foot tip instead of the pointy gyuto tip. Also the tsuchime bling is subtle, but classy.

Other knives I offer them:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tomvssa17.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavg1gy18.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavgdasa16.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy21.html
Hi Ed! :)

I don't think Kit Kat is retiring, he looks awfully young for that, lol. But if he is I congratulate him! :)

I am definitely going with a shorter knife. I like your comment about the less point tip on the santokus, too. And someone else also suggested the Masutanis, I am looking at those, they are the frontrunner just now.

I have an MVS 240 I got to play with. I wound up using it to open packages and stuff, lol. I feel kind of guilty about that, I think of people perhaps having that as the knife they use to make a living. I am quite blessed, relative to probably 95% of the world's population... :oops: It should be a durable and forgiving knife for a beginner, but a little below what I want to get her.

Thanks!

caerolle

Post by caerolle »

salemj wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am So, you mentioned you read something I wrote elsewhere. I'll repeat it here and evoke KitCraft as well:

If you opt to change your opinion on the handle issue, the good selection of Japanese-style stamped knives that mimic Western construction are great here...better, I think, than something like the PS60 or TK because, in my opinion, they are CONSIDERABLY more forgiving while still being plenty hard enough to take and hold a nice working edge. You wouldn't think 2-3 rockwell would make such a difference, but it does.

So, you have the FKM, and the Misono (two lines), and the Masamoto, and the Koa (miyabi), and a few others, I think. Virtually all of these come in 180mm, which I also think is the missing "key" here: it would be the perfect compromise for getting a bit more length while still being short enough at the heel for a shorter person, but also tall enough at the heel that it would work better through MANY more ingredients than a petty, especially for any kind of "trained" cuts (such as push cuts, rocks, chopping, guillotine and glide, etc., all of which require more height than a petty for most ingredients). And most of these will run you about 70-100 USD, which is spot-on.

What do you think?
Yes, have completely changed my perspective on this, lol. That is why I wanted to throw it out there for you guys, I always get a lot of great ideas! :)

I am for sure going to get her a santoku or short gyuto, hoping to get something ~180mm. And all the ones I am looking at have Western handles, lol. ;)

Right now I am really interested in the Masutani lines. Good price, and yes, softer and tougher, and interesting looks, too. :)

Sooooo many good suggestions in this thread, you guys are awesome! :)

Thanks so much, everyone, now I have to go watch three hours of Quick Looks (thanks, Steve, these are an amazing resource!!!).

jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/produ ... %20Santoku

My 4’11 mother in law and 5’2 wife love the 5 in ikon santoku... it’s actually won me over a bit. Takes a surprisingly good edge and a beating. Just big enough for an onion, not the best for bell peppers but can be done. Useful little tool.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 am https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/produ ... %20Santoku

My 4’11 mother in law and 5’2 wife love the 5 in ikon santoku... it’s actually won me over a bit. Takes a surprisingly good edge and a beating. Just big enough for an onion, not the best for bell peppers but can be done. Useful little tool.
Thanks, will take a look!

Btw, I don't know why I said 4'11", my wife is actually 4'8"!!! :shock:

We look really odd together, a big gorilla and cute little hamster. :)

caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Ok, so after a lot of research, and talking to my wife (she *does* prefer something not pointy, lol), here are my current choices.

This is what I am liking the most overall:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavggy18.html

I like that the profile is flat, and the knife is not too tall. I especially like that it has a partial tang, so the knife is lighter and better balanced. Those are the two things I really don't like about Westerns, and the partial tang overcomes that a lot. My concerns about this knife are that it is a littler harder than the knife below, and that it is kind of an unknown.

Here is the other option I am currently considering:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmsa18.html

Honestly, this probably would be my first choice if not for the weight and balance. It also is somewhat taller than the Masutani. OTOH, as several people have pointed out, a softer steel would probably be better for my wife, though I really hate sharpening soft knives, lol. On the positive side, I guess a steel might work with this knife.

I am open to feedback on my current choices, if anyone has any, though.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Altadan

Post by Altadan »

caerolle wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:51 pm Ok, so after a lot of research, and talking to my wife (she *does* prefer something not pointy, lol), here are my current choices.

I like that the profile is flat, and the knife is not too tall. I especially like that it has a partial tang, so the knife is lighter and better balanced. Those are the two things I really don't like about Westerns, and the partial tang overcomes that a lot. My concerns about this knife are that it is a littler harder than the knife below, and that it is kind of an unknown.

Honestly, this probably would be my first choice if not for the weight and balance. It also is somewhat taller than the Masutani. OTOH, as several people have pointed out, a softer steel would probably be better for my wife, though I really hate sharpening soft knives, lol. On the positive side, I guess a steel might work with this knife.

Hi there :)
My wife owns the hammered VG1 Masutani Santoko 170. She loves it, and though her technique is strictly push cutting, with some force, too... she has yet to reach the limit of that steel.
The touch-ups are very easy to perform, and not-too-frequently, either. When I do give it a bit more of a progression, starting at 1k, and moving up to either a 6k, or an Aoto, the steel takes to them all quite nicely.
What you said about the balance is spot on. The fit and finish on our hammered version is quite nice, too. The choil is eased, and the handle fits both our hands with comfort (I'm 6'2, she's 5'10)
I love that Masutani myself, and use it a whole lot when I want something small, or stainless, or both ^_^
Hope that helps.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 pm Hi there :)
My wife owns the hammered VG1 Masutani Santoko 170. She loves it, and though her technique is strictly push cutting, with some force, too... she has yet to reach the limit of that steel.
The touch-ups are very easy to perform, and not-too-frequently, either. When I do give it a bit more of a progression, starting at 1k, and moving up to either a 6k, or an Aoto, the steel takes to them all quite nicely.
What you said about the balance is spot on. The fit and finish on our hammered version is quite nice, too. The choil is eased, and the handle fits both our hands with comfort (I'm 6'2, she's 5'10)
I love that Masutani myself, and use it a whole lot when I want something small, or stainless, or both ^_^
Hope that helps.
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the Masutani! :)
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Whoa! This post resonates with me...... thanks everyone for sharing
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

caerolle wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:51 pm Ok, so after a lot of research, and talking to my wife (she *does* prefer something not pointy, lol), here are my current choices.

Yes to this one Carol: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavggy18.html

I LOVED visiting Mr. Masutani and he runs a tight ship with good quality and he only does a couple shapes so he can make them efficiently and drive down the price. It’s worth twice the price and would be a good choice for a significant other who just wants a good knife that works well.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:36 am Yes to this one Carol: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavggy18.html

I LOVED visiting Mr. Masutani and he runs a tight ship with good quality and he only does a couple shapes so he can make them efficiently and drive down the price. It’s worth twice the price and would be a good choice for a significant other who just wants a good knife that works well.
Thanks so much, Mark, I appreciate your input!

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Santoku is definitely the way to go, Carol. Matsutani looks good, but I am quite partial to lighter wa handles. My wife used a Global and Wusthof santoku for years, but made the switch easily to a Kanehiro ginsan santoku. You know the steel so not trying to push you in that direction. It's a bit micro-chippy probably for your SO.

Some food for thought:

The Anyru blue is tougher, even with higher heat treat, and has a nice handle. Not all that pointy.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anryu.html

Tanaka makes great knives and he does VG10 as well as anyone. handle won't win awards, but it's durable.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgnasa17.html
Jeffry B
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am Santoku is definitely the way to go, Carol. Matsutani looks good, but I am quite partial to lighter wa handles. My wife used a Global and Wusthof santoku for years, but made the switch easily to a Kanehiro ginsan santoku. You know the steel so not trying to push you in that direction. It's a bit micro-chippy probably for your SO.

Some food for thought:

The Anyru blue is tougher, even with higher heat treat, and has a nice handle. Not all that pointy.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anryu.html

Tanaka makes great knives and he does VG10 as well as anyone. handle won't win awards, but it's durable.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgnasa17.html
Hi Jeffery, thanks for the input! Like you, I far prefer wa handles. I think the Western is a better place to start in this case, though, my wife have pretty small hands, and makes the knife look more 'normal,' lol. One thing I like about the one that is my top choice is that it has a partial tang, and so is lighter and more well balanced.

I also want a fully stainless knife for her, too. Though it is best to start with good practices from the beginning, I think it would stress her too much to add the worries of corrosion and having to keep wiping the blade. So, the Anryu is out (though I love those! :( ). I am also wanting to keep the price down. I can get her a nicer knife later if she really wants and needs one, which I am hoping she does. The Tanaka is in the right range, but with no Quick Look, I am uneasy about it. I am afraid it is more a typical full-tang Western, with a lot of weight and poor balance.

Thanks again for your help!

caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Well, I ordered the Masutani VG10 Damascus Gyuto 180mm today. Thanks so much for everyone's help, I have enjoyed the exchanges, and you all led me to what I feel is a better decision! I will report back when we get the knife and I have had a chance to try it, and to see how my wife likes it.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 pm ...(I'm 6'2, she's 5'10)...
You guys are giants next to Carol and his wife! :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:54 pm
*HER* wife...

You didn't know I am a woman after all these years????? :o :? :roll:

Man, if I had the time and money, I would for sure go the CKtG party, lol. ;)

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

caerolle wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:58 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:54 pm
*HER* wife...

You didn't know I am a woman after all these years????? :o :? :roll:

Man, if I had the time and money, I would for sure go the CKtG party, lol. ;)

I did Carol...my bad :oops: A freudian slip, or just being mentally challenged! :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:02 pm
I did Carol...my bad :oops: A freudian slip, or just being mentally challenged! :D
[/quote]

Lol, I know. :)