Nakiri vs santoku vs bunka

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
filthysven

Nakiri vs santoku vs bunka

Post by filthysven »

Hey all,

Can someone help me figure out the advanges of the nakiri over other flat profiled knives like santokus or bunkas? I want a new knife with a real flat profile to work mostly on vegetable prep with, and am not sure which of the three styles I would like best. I know nakiris are really popular for this kind of work, but it seems like they offer the same utility as the others but without the added benefit of the tip? I have to say, I like the idea of having a bit of a tip from the santoku, and the pronounced tip of the bunka even more. What are the drawbacks of this style vs the rounded end of the nakiri?
jmcnelly85

Re: Nakiri vs santoku vs bunka

Post by jmcnelly85 »

The nakiri is theoretically more durable at the front due to there being no tip to accidentally damage. I’ve found the sharp heel of a nakiri to be a serviceable replacement for the tip, but requires a rather awkward motion. Nakiri’s, particularly taller ones, will hold more of the weight of the knife towards the front to aid chopping power. I really hate cutting cauliflower, broccoli, and romanesco with a nakiri, but have a lot of fun on any other veg I can think of. A lot of people compliment a nakiri with a petty to make a very versatile 1-2 punch. If tip work is really important to you, a bunka might be your best bet, but for a lot of knife makers santoku’s and bunka’s are essentially the same knife. The santoku and bunka will be the more versatile tool.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

I love my nakiri and hate santokus. For me the reason comes down to that if I am chopping, I want the weight to be forward, and a santoku's shape shifts weight back from the front, assuming all other things equal, vs a nakiri.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

marlinspike wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 am I love my nakiri and hate santokus. For me the reason comes down to that if I am chopping, I want the weight to be forward, and a santoku's shape shifts weight back from the front, assuming all other things equal, vs a nakiri.
+1
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

There really is no objective answer to this question, one that is frequently asked in these forums. It really is a matter of personal preference. Preferences that can take time to form only after extensive use of all three profiles.

As a home cook, a nakiri suits me best. I used santokus for years but came to dislike them. I found most of them to be too short or too light, with a tip less useful than a gyuto.

There are exceptions, of course. I do own a superb Kanehiro 170 santuko I bought for my wife. I use it for smaller jobs. it lacks the heft for chopping, though, and doesn't give as much blade coverage.

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to buy a Gassan 210 gyuto that is no longer sold on CKTG. It was described as a cross between a gyuto and santoku, but it's almost like a gyuto, bunka and nakiri all rolled into one! A unique knife.

I've been using a new bunka for a month and a half. Yahiko Ice. Great line of knives.

Still not sure I like it, though. The blade is not as flat as it is on a nakiri, for one thing. Pay attention to that if you buy one. Quite a few have a bit of arc. Others do not.

The tip also requires me to arch my elbow unless I come in from the side. Horizontal tip cuts are useful for many things such as garlic and onions, but not all product.

I find that I use my Ice bunka like an all-purpose knife in which pushing is the preferred technique. It has not supplanted my nakiri.

A nakiri is the ultimate chopping tool in the kitchen in my view. I use it when I make stir fries and chop lots of vegetables. Can't say it gives me trouble on anything, but I am not chopping lots of cole-family stuff every day.

As Marlinspike noted, the weight is forward. And the power obviously helps. So does a long flat spot that only the flattest of gyutos can match.

Personally, I prefer a 180 nakiri to a 165. More coverage and power. But i am also very choosy. A 180 is less nimble than a 165 as the weight goes up. I find 6.7 ounces to be my sweet spot, though a range of 6.3 to 7 oz is acceptable.

All but one of the nakiris I've used had a rounded tip. That's what I prefer. A few can rock decently enough over a small area. And if sharpened properly, the tip can fine mince shallots or garlic. Not what I would do in quantity, but for small amounts, sure.
Jeffry B
JayBee

Post by JayBee »

I'm a chopper, and probably 85-90% of my knife work is on veggies. Out of all the knives I have, I probably reach for my 165mm Nakiri the most. Chopping and scooping produce is what it's designed for, and it excels at that. I like the weight distribution better then a santoku. Only reason I might suggest a santoku over a nakiri for primarily vegetable work would be if you don't like a pinch grip. All the nakiri's i've ever used really favor a pinch grip, so if that's not your thing I would imagine the handle of a santoku would be a better fit. Never really used a Bunka so I won't comment on that.

It's not a knife i'll reach for if i'm going to be cooking any substantial amount of meat (especially if the meat needs to be trimmed or deboned). That i'll probably use a gyuto for.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I surprisingly found my nakiri to be great at cutting meat into thin strips 1/8 inch wide by 1 inch long) for stir fries. Better than my gyutos, in fact.

A nakiri works best with grainy beef such as flank or skirt. Also good with pork loin. Works less well with stickier meats such as chicken breast or country pork, but still does a pretty good job.
Jeffry B
kjpfo287

Post by kjpfo287 »

I have had all 3 knife types and have a shibata 175mm bunka and I love it over the other it's in between a santoku and nakiri.....I chose the shibata because its flatter than most and tall as a nakiri .....the k tip just gives more versatility
pecanbery

Post by pecanbery »

If you were using one knife for everything then a santoku/bunka would be better than a nakiri. Nakiris excel at effortlessly chopping non-dense vegetables but the lack of a tip means you really need a petty or a gyuto at hand for a lot of meals. A bunka is a good compromise if you only want to use one knife but it does depend a little on the profile as well.

Personally I do everything with a 180mm nakiri, 210mm gyuto and a 210mm deba.
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

Total noob here...

That said...

A ~130mm Bunka seems like it would make a nice J-version of a utility/petty knife.

Something to supplement a 170+mm Nakiri.

Thoughts?