Kurosaki as 210 gyuto or yoshimitsu 210 as gyuto?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Willdye

Kurosaki as 210 gyuto or yoshimitsu 210 as gyuto?

Post by Willdye »

Hey so im new here. Ive been looking at these knives for a few weeks now and I just cant decide between the two. Both blacksmiths really appeal to me. Anything on these knives would be great. I am also open to other recomendations in the 200-250 range.

Thanks
Bensbites

Re: Kurosaki as 210 gyuto or yoshimitsu 210 as gyuto?

Post by Bensbites »

I have a yoshi B2 210 bunka. I like it, but i like thinner behind the edge. I don’t use it often.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think the Kurosaki is the higher quality knife and the better value. And to confuse things a little, don't forget about his brother Makoto. Another great choice and best buy if you can wait for it to restock. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy21.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Answer the questions in this thread if you can. It helps us formulate recs for you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=643
Jeffry B
delmar

Post by delmar »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:49 pm I have a yoshi B2 210 bunka. I like it, but i like thinner behind the edge. I don’t use it often.
Man. I have the same blade and had the same reaction. On specs I didnt think it would turn out that way with a darn thin san mai blade, but the primary bevel acted like a thicker knife, FWIW.

I knocked that bevel back and changed that kasumi-esque finish and it works better.

I'd pick the kuro, feels more 'crafted' to me and Jeff's right- a better value. I only grabbed that bunka on a special.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

delmar wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm
Bensbites wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:49 pm I have a yoshi B2 210 bunka. I like it, but i like thinner behind the edge. I don’t use it often.
Man. I have the same blade and had the same reaction. On specs I didnt think it would turn out that way with a darn thin san mai blade, but the primary bevel acted like a thicker knife, FWIW.

I knocked that bevel back and changed that kasumi-esque finish and it works better.

I'd pick the kuro, feels more 'crafted' to me and Jeff's right- a better value. I only grabbed that bunka on a special.
Not to muddy the waters here, but I got the impression a while back that the Yohimitsu AS line is very distinct (i.e., superior) from its B#2 counterpart. The price certainly seems to suggest that, hm?
In any case, there's no doubt a Kurosaki (whether Yu or Makoto) is a value purchase.

Wildeye, some would suggest that you go ahead and buy both, and figure it out later... or wait, maybe they only suggest that to the certified addicts. You not there (yet) :lol:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld