Buying a knife at tsukiji fish market

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Bluenoser87

Buying a knife at tsukiji fish market

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I have a colleague visiting the Tsukiji fish market very soon who has offered to pick something up for me if I’m interested. I’m not filling out the questionnaire only because I’m not really looking for anything in particular and I think I already have a pretty good selection (lasers, workhorses, etc, etc). I have a few ideas of things I want to try next that are available in the US (Takeda is next on my list I think), but is there anything unique or easier to get at Tsukiji I should be thinking about? I’d hate to waste the opportunity, but I also don’t want to send this person on a wild goose chase throughout Tokyo...
Bluenoser87

Re: Buying a knife at tsukiji fish market

Post by Bluenoser87 »

And apologies if this has been covered before. This is sort of last minute and I haven’t had time to obsessively research it as with most other things haha
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

There are several knife shops at Tsukiji itself including Masamoto, Minamoto, Aritsugu, Sugimoto and Nenohi. But just a few miles away is Kitchen Town, on Kappabashi Street. This is the home of kitchen and restaurant stores. You can find dishes, pots, pans, cooking utensils, stoves, tables, chairs, signs, etc. It is also well known for stores that sell the plastic and wax food samples you see in many Japanese and Oriental restaurants.
Tsubaya, Misono, Kamata, TDI, Kama-asa Shouten and some other sellers are located in this district.
Also note that Tsujiki will be moving to a new location by the river in October.
I'm sure Mark has way more info on the subject.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Yeah the market relocation is what prompted this particular visit I think. I’ve been meaning to get there myself for years after traveling throughout the region a lot on business but it just never worked out. This is a pretty open ended question I realize. Was just curious if there’s anything special and sort of easy to request. I can always find an excuse for another 240 Gyuto I think...
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

That is one of the biggest bummers about having to have cancelled my trip earlier this year with Mark. I have wanted to visit Tsukiji ever since I learned about it but it will have moved by the time I get there next year :(
I guess the biggest thing figuratively and literally that you may find at Tsukiji would be Tuna Swords (Maguro Bocho) ;)
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Well, my knife collecting has so far been met with tolerance but I think a tuna sword addition might change that haha
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Best bang for the buck is at nenohi - much cheaper to buy one, import and pay duties than to buy one at Korin.