Quality of Masakage and/or Tanaka knives?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Ruslan

Quality of Masakage and/or Tanaka knives?

Post by Ruslan »

I have found a couple of knives I seem to really like the looks of.

Masakage Mizu 210mm Gyuto (https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy21.html)
Tanaka Kurouchi 210mm Gyuto (https://www.chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html)

they are both Aogami Blue #2 Carbon steel

the only real thing I am curious about is what the edge angle is cut too, I can't seem to find what is anywhere, maybe one of you could help?

I have never owned a Carbon steel knife but I always clean and dry my knives after each use anyway so I do not think it will be a problem.

are they easy to sharpen compared to stainless?

I did post another thread to try and get recommendations on brands and I have been browsing and it seems a few people have mentioned that Masakage is pretty good for the price.

Anyways advice and recommendations would be appreciated :D
Bensbites

Re: Quality of Masakage and/or Tanaka knives?

Post by Bensbites »

This took me a while to understand, but chances are the edge angle is not what you should be concerned with. I look at the choil shoots focusing on the grind. The area behind the edge needs to be thin too.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Both will sharpen easily in comparison to stainless, with a finer edge.
With Japanese knives, there is an assumption that the user will do the finish sharpening and choose their own edge angle. They can certainly take a 15 degree edge, or finer if you want a keener edge at the risk of chipping. Only you can know your preferences and how you treat a knife.
Both are fine blades, at that price level considered budget by some - but then many here have multiple gyuotos in their rotation.
Masakage has a number of blacksmiths, but none of their lines are considered deficient.
salemj

Post by salemj »

These are good brands.

They are also "cheaper" brands. The reason they are cheaper is because they do not have as much "finishing," which means they can be a little rough around the edges. However, this also means there are NO compromises on the more important things: the steel, heat treatment, and grind. Out of the two, I would personally opt for the Tanaka. From everything I've read, it is hard to beat Tanaka knives at this price point. If you watch Steve's video (on the CKTG website) you'll get exactly the kind of information you are looking for.

They will sharpen MUCH easier than most stainless knives.

If you are looking for more general recommendations, you can always do a post for a knife recommendation in that part of the forum, which usually asks that you answer a basic list of questions as part of your post. You'll get dozens of great suggestions that way.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Ruslan

Post by Ruslan »

salemj wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 pm These are good brands.

They are also "cheaper" brands. The reason they are cheaper is because they do not have as much "finishing," which means they can be a little rough around the edges. However, this also means there are NO compromises on the more important things: the steel, heat treatment, and grind. Out of the two, I would personally opt for the Tanaka. From everything I've read, it is hard to beat Tanaka knives at this price point. If you watch Steve's video (on the CKTG website) you'll get exactly the kind of information you are looking for.

They will sharpen MUCH easier than most stainless knives.

If you are looking for more general recommendations, you can always do a post for a knife recommendation in that part of the forum, which usually asks that you answer a basic list of questions as part of your post. You'll get dozens of great suggestions that way.

I did post but i only got like 2 replied i think hah. But thanks for the advice!